PDA

View Full Version : Swirl remover after paint sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

JCKarlo
03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
So I just finished applying paint sealant on my car, and just yesterday I was walking towards my car from the post office and as the sun reflected off the surface I noticed light swirls all over the surface. I guess it was hard to notice since the car is white and relatively new ('09 corolla).

Would results be possible is I were to apply swirl remover on the surface with paint sealant already on it? I'm using the Wolfgang 3.0 products with a PC 7424.

slickooz
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome to AG!

Anytime you want to do corrections on the paint. You want to have a clean surface. Meaning do a full wash/clay then inspect the paint.

I would do a full wash with dawn to remove all the sealant. Then start claying the car and go polish those swirls out.

SeaJay's
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Welcome to AG!

Anytime you want to do corrections on the paint. You want to have a clean surface. Meaning do a full wash/clay then inspect the paint.

I would do a full wash with dawn to remove all the sealant. Then start claying the car and go polish those swirls out.

:iagree:I'd also suggest doing an IPA (Isopropyl alcohol - ensure you dilute it) wipe down after claying to ensure you've removed all the sealant and to ensure no oils or anything on the surface. Will give you a clean start and you'll be able to see the swirls better.

And :welcome:

JCKarlo
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! Man I was hoping I wouldn't have to strip all the sealant off lol.

SeaJay's
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
No problem!

slickooz
03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Anytime! If your not sure what to do always ask. So you don't have to do more work next time.

CEE DOG
03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! Man I was hoping I wouldn't have to strip all the sealant off lol.

Welcome to Autogeek

If you want to remove swirls what you are actually doing is leveling the paint down so that the swirl (a void in the paint) is no longer there.

A sealant is on the very surface of your paint and is extremely thin.

So to remove some paint (to fix the swirls) the sealant is going to come off before the paint does.

Mike Phillips
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Applying any type of abrasive compound or polish will effectively remove most waxes and sealants.

Some will opine that the coating of wax or sealant will adulterate or interfere with the mechanical cleaning or abrading process but that's really minoring on the minors.

IPA won't always remove all "protection ingredients", so it's not always a sure-fire procedure.

Here's an article on the IPA topic, which also includes Mineral Spirits for wiping paint...

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

What are you using for your correction polish and pad?

Keep in mind that a layer of wax or paint sealant is measured in microns, or even sub-microns... that is to say, it's not very thick.

:)

slickooz
03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Welcome to Autogeek

If you want to remove swirls what you are actually doing is leveling the paint down so that the swirl (a void in the paint) is no longer there.

So to remove some paint (to fix the swirls) the sealant is going to come off before the paint does.

So just wash the car and start polishing?

Mike Phillips
03-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Well said Corey...

And on the topic of "voids in the paint"

Swirls and Scratches Don't Exist (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/30565-swirls-scratches-don-t-exist.html)

:D

Mike Phillips
03-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Washing can and does "micro-abrade" the surface and thus does remove a portion of any layer of wax or paint sealant previously applied.

This is where I like to use the "Extreme" analogy to explain things.

If you wash your car over and over again, are you adding more wax or paint sealant?

If not... what's the opposite of "adding"

Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28566-sacrificial-barrier-coating-purpose-wax-synthetic-paint-sealant.html)

CEE DOG
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Well, I would use OPC or P21S or something to strip the car while I am washing it.

A couple questions are probably in order. I kind of assumed it had recently been polished and sealed and he just noticed that he didn't get them all.

If it has been recently clayed, polished, and sealed I would just wash it (with a stripper soap as well) and polish it.

Otherwise I would do what you originally stated.

I was taking his question as can I get rid of the swirls without removing the sealant.

Well said Corey...

And on the topic of "voids in the paint"

Swirls and Scratches Don't Exist (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/30565-swirls-scratches-don-t-exist.html)

Mike, that phrase of yours "don't exist" danced across my eyelids while I was writing that :)

Mike Phillips
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Mike, that phrase of yours "don't exist" danced across my eyelids while I was writing that :)

I posted that article to a number of forums and the replies were comical and interesting as everyone had their own take on the concept and the article itself.

:laughing:

JCKarlo
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the additional replies and welcomes! =)

So when applying the swirl remover without first removing the sealant, would it be ideal to apply an extra section pass or two to level down past the sealant, or should I apply it just like normal?

Also I use the red CCS pad to apply the sealant, but have ordered a couple orange and whites that I've seen in your swirl removal tutorial videos.

slickooz
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah there were a lot of detailed left out in first post. That why I said to strip everything and clay/polish/seal.

Edit.
Yeah get a few orange for compounding and a few white for polishing.