PDA

View Full Version : What polisher to buy?

sergdman
03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey guys how are you? Just been struggling between buying a PC or the Flex. I had all winter to decide and research. The more I research and think about it the more confused I get. I will be using it to maintain and remove swirls from both by black cars and black motorcycle. Never used on before, but I'm sure it will pay itself off after a couple of uses. Anyone have any words of advice to help me decide or else we will be having the conversation again next year. Thanks

slickooz
03-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Are you looking for a DA or a rotary? Because Flex have their own DA. Looks like you don't have much hands on experience with a polisher so I would recommend buying a DA first because it very safe to use. While a rotary can really mess up paint if your not careful or don't know what your doing.

The DA can achieve great results but may take a little longer then a rotary.

VISITOR
03-08-2011, 12:19 AM
buy the griots 6" random orbital, it already comes with a 6" backing plate so you can use 6.5" pads. also pick up a 3.5" DA backing plate to use with 4" pads, and also a 5" DA backing plate as well to use with 5.5" pads...

slickooz
03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
If your going DA, get Griots because they have life time warranty. I would also recommend the 5 inch backing plate because it corrections seems to be faster when your working with smaller pads.

James K
03-08-2011, 12:46 AM
I already own a PC, and am considering buying a Griots instead because of the power difference. You can feel the difference when you use it. If I was to do it again, I would have bought the griots.

ROMEO
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Hey guys how are you? Just been struggling between buying a PC or the Flex. I had all winter to decide and research. The more I research and think about it the more confused I get. I will be using it to maintain and remove swirls from both by black cars and black motorcycle. Never used on before, but I'm sure it will pay itself off after a couple of uses. Anyone have any words of advice to help me decide or else we will be having the conversation again next year. Thanks

Since the OP is considering the PCXP and the "flex" I'm gonna guess he means the 3401... So my vote goes to the 3401

Fine Shine
03-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I would purchase both. Flex or Makita rotary for paint correction and jeweling, and a Porter Cable for glazing and waxing.

Blackthorn One
03-08-2011, 02:30 AM
From what I understand, the Flex 3401 gives the finest finish. I have one, and it is very smooth, ie low vibration, so it's very comfortable to use, and fairly quiet for a buffer. The Flex 3401 is the most powerful DA made as far as I know. The Flex 3401 is a forced rotation in addition to a random orbital. I have no regrets about my Flex 1 year later.

A4 1.8tqm
03-08-2011, 03:45 AM
A4 1.8tqm's (modified) standard "What Polisher should I buy?" reply-

:welcome:

The DA polishers like the Porter Cable, Griott's, and Megs are polishers that have http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-floating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html, meaning it will stop spinning and just "jiggle" against the surface if too much pressure is applied. This is a safety measure allowing just about anyone to polish a car without much worry of "burn through". This comes with it's own (relatively minor) learning curve of matching pressure, pad speed, product amount etc.. These tools are absolutely fully-capable of achieving the results you are looking for, a swirl-free, glossy paint finish, albeit a bit slower than more powerful tools. Personally, I think of these as "consumer" tools.

The Makita 9227C (http://www.autogeek.net/ma927po.html) and Dewalt 849 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/depobu.html) are Rotary Polishers. There is no "dual action" to a rotary. It just spins. These polishers will correct faster but bring the danger of "burn through" or polishing all the way through the paint. You must be conscious of hard body lines and the direction the pad moves over edges. High speed and non-random movement means that the friction will cause heat to build up quickly, so keep the polisher moving! The aspect of heat also requires require special attention on plastic or otherwise non-metal painted surfaces. The linked polishers high quality, tried and true, professional tools.

The Flex XC 3401 (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html) is a hybrid of these. It combines the dual action of the DA with the forced rotation of the Rotary. I own a Flex 3401 and highly recommend it to anyone interested in a polisher. It is a very precise and well built machine. All controls (speed dial, trigger and cruise control) are intuitively placed and accessible by one hand, in it's operating position on the handle (right hand). This control placement is not true for the DA's previously mentioned above. You can rest assured that this tool will provide a long service life. A down fall of this machine has been addressed, the need of a smaller baking plate- FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html). I definitely consider this a Professional tool.

I also own the FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight Circular Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-l3403vrg-rotary-polisher.html), it's great and I also recommend it if your comfortable with moving to a rotary. But if your going rotary, check out the FLEX PE14-2-150 (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-pe14-2-150-rotary-polisher.html) :drool:

There's some facts and opinions, you decide what is best for you.

:cheers:

On second thought... GET THE FLEX 3401! IT'S THE BEST ONE! :D :bolt:

tuscarora dave
03-08-2011, 05:59 AM
While I think the Flex 3401 is the better polisher for sure, I do some motorcycle polishing and the Flex is a bit too large for getting into the tight spots on bikes. If you don't intend on earning an extra source of income with your new polisher I suggest the Griot's Garage DA polisher with 5", 3 1/2" backing plates, 5.5" and 4" pads.

Old Tiger
03-08-2011, 06:41 AM
buy the griots 6" random orbital, it already comes with a 6" backing plate so you can use 6.5" pads. also pick up a 3.5" DA backing plate to use with 4" pads, and also a 5" DA backing plate as well to use with 5.5" pads...
Plus the warranty is unrivaled! Essentially a lifetime warranty for a hobbyist!

termigator
03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
While I think the Flex 3401 is the better polisher for sure, I do some motorcycle polishing and the Flex is a bit too large for getting into the tight spots on bikes. If you don't intend on earning an extra source of income with your new polisher I suggest the Griot's Garage DA polisher with 5", 3 1/2" backing plates, 5.5" and 4" pads.

:iagree:

While I haven't polished a motorcycle, I was thinking the same thing. I have the Flex and a PC. The Flex definitely seems a little large for working on a motorcycle whereas a PC with with the 3.5 plate and 4" pad would make easy work on the motorcycle. I would also recommend the Griot's for the extra power.