PDA

View Full Version : I own a rotary, do i need a DA???

Pages : [1] 2 3

93fox
03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
This is lately what i have been getting trough my head! i own a makita rotary polisher and i am always asking myself if i need a Dual action polisher as well? such as a porter cable? is it really necessary to own a da after you already have a rotary? i ask this because i have read here that finishing with a DA leaves a whole better finish that a rotary! i have done all the finishing with my makita and it seems to leave a very nice finish! but im still wondering if i need a da, those of you guys that have both, what do you suggest? :dunno:

tuscarora dave
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
The better I got with my rotary the less I used my DAs. Now I only use my G110V2 for applying wax or sealant. I still use my Flex 3401 for doing AIO quick details because it leaves no holograms. I could get by with just my rotary but sometimes a DA is convenient to have around.

Dr Oldz
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
The more polishers the better!!! :buffing: I find a use for all types! Even my ancient wax spreader gets used......to keep the wind from blowing the door closed tho! Seriously tho, having a DA and a rotary can be very helpful and it just gives you more options!

CleanGene
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
:iagree: As soon as you were to get rid of the DA, you'd find a need for one. Better safe than sorry.

Scoutnhunt
03-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I also own a Makita 9227 and while it does have it uses (compounding gelcoat on the hull of our 24ft center console offshore boat!), I quickly realized how much I needed a DA polisher after attending Detailing 101 & 201 classes at Auto Geek.

I saved since attending in late Oct. '10 and just recently purchased a Griot's 6" random orbital polisher with 5" backing plate, 5.5" LC pads, & some very good Wolfgang products.

Again, I'm no pro, but don't believe anyone could do without a DA polisher for auto detailing. Heck, most of the guys have at least 2 or more different DA polishers!

Good Luck with your choice.

93fox
03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
The better I got with my rotary the less I used my DAs. Now I only use my G110V2 for applying wax or sealant. I still use my Flex 3401 for doing AIO quick details because it leaves no holograms. I could get by with just my rotary but sometimes a DA is convenient to have around.

i like the idea of getting the rotary skill perfectly down! ill probably get a DA later on, but i love my makita and how quick i can correct! by the way :poke:....what does AIO mean?

tuscarora dave
03-07-2011, 09:04 PM
All In One, such as Meg's D-151 Or Poorboy's Polish with Sealant.

CCC4me
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Have the best of both worlds:
Get the Dynabrade attachment for your rotary! Have the strength of your rotary and the finishing of the DA without having to store two tools.

tuscarora dave
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Have the best of both worlds:
Get the Dynabrade attachment for your rotary! Have the strength of your rotary and the finishing of the DA without having to store two tools.
:iagree:DA on steroids!!

dad07
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
The more polishers the better!!! :buffing: I find a use for all types! Even my ancient wax spreader gets used......to keep the wind from blowing the door closed tho! Seriously tho, having a DA and a rotary can be very helpful and it just gives you more options!

Its all about the tools ( or toys) The more ya have the better!!!!!

Kristopher1129
03-07-2011, 10:58 PM

I second that. I have a PC, and only use it for wax/sealant application. I do like it for that. I will be using it on RVs as well though. It's definitely not necessary, but it does have it's advantages in certain situations.

To answer your question though, do you need it? No. Is it handy to have around...I think so. :xyxthumbs:

93fox
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I second that. I have a PC, and only use it for wax/sealant application. I do like it for that. I will be using it on RVs as well though. It's definitely not necessary, but it does have it's advantages in certain situations.

To answer your question though, do you need it? No. Is it handy to have around...I think so. :xyxthumbs:

ha i knew you would chime in man! i read a post about you saying how you just couldnt bond with a DA and your rotary was what got it done! i really love my Makita! sometimes i work tooo fast and remember that i have to slow down to get good results!

VISITOR
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
yes, having a DA is a must IMO. having a rotary and DA is like having a flathead & phillips screwdriver, they both have there places and uses...

Kristopher1129
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
ha i knew you would chime in man! i read a post about you saying how you just couldnt bond with a DA and your rotary was what got it done! i really love my Makita! sometimes i work tooo fast and remember that i have to slow down to get good results!

Yeah, and I got nailed for just not using the right pad/product/or whatever other magical combination it takes to get that to work. I just don't see the sense in trying to figure out a combination that works for a DA when a rotary can get it done much quicker anyways.

I guess once you go rotary, you can't go DA. But you can go DA to rotary. I know some rely strictly on the DA, and get fantastic results. I'm just not one of those people I guess.

I'll keep playing with it though. I bought some of the orange/white pads that everybody raves about. Just waiting for some free time to give it a test run. :dblthumb2:

ExoticAutoDetai
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I wonder am I the only one with a dewalt rotary? lol