PDA

View Full Version : List of vehicles with Hard to Soft clear coats or NO clear coats

Pages : [1] 2

Whitethunder46
12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Is there a good list, site, book, anything that states certain makes and/or models that have hard or soft clear coats? or no clear coats?

I know from reading that Corvette's have a hard clear coat along with maybe an Evo I think?

What about higher end cars, Bimmers, Porshe's, Mercede's etc.

Surfer
12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Audi/VW is generally rock hard, newer Mercedes have a cerimaclear (sp?) that's supposed to be very hard but at the same time really minimize chances of swirling etc. Vipers seem to be a medium, paint quality is excellent w/ almost no orange peel and clear isn't too hard. BMW's is weird, my friends black e39 M5 is very hard to correct (like Audi/VW levels), but our other friends lemans blue e39 M5 is pretty soft? Two guys at my office, one has a black 335 coupe and the other a silver 335 sedan. And on those the black seems really soft and the silver really hard, PC and OC would barely budge swirls on the silver but on the black one was a snap. Our Lexus LX470 has easy to work with paint that doesn't seem to swirl easily, my Mercury Mountaineer has an extremely hard coat on the hood but the rest of the truck is easy which is odd since it wasn't in a na ccident or repainted. Porsche is generally pretty soft.

bfrance
12-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Just to add to the list, any first generation red Miata is a no-clear car, unless it has been repainted.

-Ben

abrcrombe
12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Corvette = hard

ltoman
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Corvette = hard

Oh man can you say that again!!! :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

ltoman
12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Just to add to the list, any first generation red Miata is a no-clear car, unless it has been repainted.

-Ben

Really?
What is the reason for that?
Do you prefer that to a clear coat, in your opinion?
Lauren:) :) :) :)

Kelso
12-30-2006, 06:03 PM
most older toyota( i think up until the later 90's) had no clear coat. i think its supposed to be easier to correct blemishes on no clear cars

ryandamartini
12-30-2006, 06:27 PM
most older toyota( i think up until the later 90's) had no clear coat. i think its supposed to be easier to correct blemishes on no clear cars

my 95' has a plenty hard clear cote -_-

supercharged
12-31-2006, 01:54 AM
I know that Toyota's clear coat is pretty soft, so be very carefull when claying it.

Surfer
12-31-2006, 02:18 AM
I know that Toyota's clear coat is pretty soft, so be very carefull when claying it.Yeh, our LX470 was easy to do. I forgot to add that our Lincoln was a major beotch, had very hard clear. I had a hard time remove 80% of the swirls with Optimum Compound and a yellow Edge cutting pad, was as bad as a Vette, I wouldn't have thought Lincolns clear was that hard. I finally gave up as I was getting sore going at it for two days. I need a rotary lol.

supercharged
12-31-2006, 02:39 AM
Ford has pretty hard clear coat. A lot of times you will need a rotary to do the job.

Surfer
12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Ford has pretty hard clear coat. A lot of times you will need a rotary to do the job.Sisters Explorer and My Mercury Mountaineer were pretty easy (except my hood was pretty hard), but that damn Lincoln, wow, just as hard if not harder then audi's/vette etc. I worked panels for 10-20 minutes, thank god for Optimums long working time, but even with pressure and Edge yellow cutting pad and OC, I would wipe away and be like "damn, still there", not even bad or deep, I removed way worse on my truck, can't seem to budge the Lincolns though. Glad it's Silver which helps hide the swirls unless under night lamps or halogens etc.

Nica
12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Any one know of Volvo's clear coat? If it has one?

sparkie
12-31-2006, 04:02 AM
Any one know of Volvo's clear coat? If it has one?
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/forums/images/dunno.gif (javascript:emoticon(':dunno');) about Volvo, never done one. I know you was planning on doing one. We want pic when you're done!

supercharged
12-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Sisters Explorer and My Mercury Mountaineer were pretty easy (except my hood was pretty hard), but that damn Lincoln, wow, just as hard if not harder then audi's/vette etc. I worked panels for 10-20 minutes, thank god for Optimums long working time, but even with pressure and Edge yellow cutting pad and OC, I would wipe away and be like "damn, still there", not even bad or deep, I removed way worse on my truck, can't seem to budge the Lincolns though. Glad it's Silver which helps hide the swirls unless under night lamps or halogens etc.
It might depend on year of those vehicles.