PDA

View Full Version : ultima paint guard plus

PA DETAILER
03-06-2011, 11:24 AM
looks to be the same as opti seal? applied the same way. anyone use the ultima? comments....

PAR Detailing
03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I picked it up a few weeks ago. I love it! I have done 10-12 vehicles with it and it looks like I barely used it. It has a nice look to it and it provides a good slickness to the vehicle. I dont know about durability but I dont use my other sealants much anymore.

I did use Powerlock on a few pannels and then UPGP on a few of the same vehicle. MPL has a slight edge over UPGP in the slickness department but not much and not enough for me to not use it on clients vehicles.

Dr Oldz
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I love this stuff! Super easy to apply, looks fantastic(hard candy shell apperance) and nothing sticks to it! I have only been using about a month so I cant really comment on durability but it it so easy to apply that the 5 min it takes to apply additional coats makes it a breeze. All the Ultima products that I have tried are just really great quality products. the waterless wash and tire and trim guard are 2 of the best products on the market IMO! As far as opti seal, I haven't tried that so I cant comment on the differences between the two!

Old Tiger
03-06-2011, 11:53 AM
looks to be the same as opti seal? applied the same way. anyone use the ultima? comments....
I use it and love it! The whole Ultima line is at or near top of the class except the Detail Spray which is average IMO. It is similar to OS but not the same. Their polish optimizes the bonding process. CE Dog (aka Corey) is a big Ultima fan too. He has written some exceptional reviews on Ultima and many other line's products! PM CE Dog and ask him for links.
... and Welcome to AGO!

zliegen
03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I tried Opti-seal before I got UPGP and wasnt satisfied with the results from Opti-seal. It wasnt slick enough and didnt seem to leave much protection from waterspotting. UPGP in my experience protects VERY well with just 1 coat and if you put on multiple coats the slickness can be unbelieveable. I still use opti-seal on my glass though, I love it on glass for some reason. Get UPGP you wont regret it.

redg35
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I use it and love it as its so easy to work with.It gets even better with a second coating.

CEE DOG
03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
:iagree: With the posts from my buddys here.

I use it and love it! The whole Ultima line is at or near top of the class except the Detail Spray which is average IMO. It is similar to OS but not the same. Their polish optimizes the bonding process. CEE Dog (aka Corey) is a big Ultima fan too. He has written some exceptional reviews on Ultima and many other line's products! PM CEE Dog and ask him for links.
... and Welcome to AGO!

Thank you Jim!!! You know your way to kind to me. :o

.........and if you put on multiple coats the slickness can be unbelieveable...............

:iagree: :iagree:

feslope
03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
looks to be the same as opti seal? applied the same way. anyone use the ultima? comments....Not the same, big difference. I have used both and find I like the UPGP better. I find the UPGP flashes a lot faster and in general seems to be less "oily" I have never had the UPGP streak while the OS has. A simple wipedown with microfiber will remove any streaks.

They are both excellent products. If you try one you should try the other also and see what you like better. They are both a bargain at cost per app and so easy to use.

I will never know how durable UPGP is because I apply it way too often. This is :buffing: NOT ME!!

kavncool
03-07-2011, 03:56 AM
hello! a newbie here for a question, i will get this product on my next ship (next month), this prodcut is wipe on and walk away right? no need wait to haze and buff it off.?

Matt
03-07-2011, 04:11 AM
hello! a newbie here for a question, i will get this product on my next ship (next month), this prodcut is wipe on and walk away right? no need wait to haze and buff it off.?

Yeap it's as simple as that. BUT REMEMBER! Don't over apply. It's so easy to do on light coloured cars as you have to look on an angle to see where you've applied it. Just remember thin to win.

The durability of the slickness is something I've been amazed with. It's been raining heavily non stop here over the weekend and the paint still feels as slick as when I applied it. After this amount of rain, most other products lose some of their initial slickness. I also found that it tends to sheet water more than give tight beads so if your car has been sitting parked in the rain even driving at a low speed clears the water.

Oh, and welcome to Autogeekonline :welcome:

Dr Oldz
03-07-2011, 04:11 AM

You are correct! Just apply thin and walk away! Welcome to AG!!!

kavncool
03-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeap it's as simple as that. BUT REMEMBER! Don't over apply. It's so easy to do on light coloured cars as you have to look on an angle to see where you've applied it. Just remember thin to win.

The durability of the slickness is something I've been amazed with. It's been raining heavily non stop here over the weekend and the paint still feels as slick as when I applied it. After this amount of rain, most other products lose some of their initial slickness. I also found that it tends to sheet water more than give tight beads so if your car has been sitting parked in the rain even driving at a low speed clears the water.

Oh, and welcome to Autogeekonline :welcome:
Thanks for quick feedback, and also remind me " dont over apply for light coloured car" :xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
For those who it might be helpful to:
UPGP tips:

Ultima Paint prep plus works as a light cleaning polish but also leaves behind a primer for the UPGP. You do not have to use the UPPP. If you don't then you should clean the paint after polishing so the UPGP bonds properly.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

UPGP is extremely easy to apply. The mistake people make is they apply too much. Apply the UPGP by hand and follow the directions! Below is my method which should not contradict the instructions you receive with the product.

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-Take a clean microfiber applicator and spray 1 spray onto it to prime it.

3.-Spray it once more and do about a 3 SQ FT area.

4.-Apply in circular motions just making sure to overlap and cover the entire area. You are not polishing so no need to rub too hard or over and over. I always finish with straight lines from front to back of the panel. 3 SQ FT is an estimate. Another thing to look for is that your applicator is no longer leaving anything on the paint. But on certain colors and without really good lighting its sometimes hard to tell anyway. I basically make sure I do about 3 SQ FT. Then I'll wipe over to the side a bit where I know I haven't applied any to see if there is still anything coming off the pad. Fred gave me a tip that is a great idea. When you are no longer sure if anything is on the pad touch your clean window with it and you'll be able to see if there is still product on the applicator.

5.-If I don't see anything then its time for a (1) more spritz to the applicator.

6.-Repeat until you get to the last panel. Now just walk away. There may or may not be a slight film on the paint for a bit. However it starts it's bonding process immediately. Now just DO NOT touch. Wait 12 hours and inspect. There should be no need to do anything else. This is not a product that you have to buff off. In the unlikely chance that there is a streak somewhere after 12 hours of curing simply take some Ultima QD and spray and wipe the streak with a high quality MF towel.

Notes:

After every panel or two give the bottle another quick shake.

Even though on some colors or in some lighting it seems like you aren't putting anything on your paint just TRUST the product. It will come out great if you don't over apply. I didn't have any trouble at all even the first time but I have read some people apply too much. It is a little disconcerting not always being able to tell if you are putting anything on your paint.

Assuming you have a garage that isn't dusty you can place the second coat after 12 hours. If there is going to be a little dust on the car then I would qd with Ultima QD spray and then add next coat. I place 3 layers of UPGP over the paint. One coat every 12 hours. If you prefer you could just do one coat or 10. That's up to you. Enjoy :)