PDA

View Full Version : Megs DA MF Finishing Wax as an AIO?

fredcandetail
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I know its primary function is to be used as Step 2 BUT ... Has anyone used this with the corresponding pad for paint in pretty decent shape?
How does it compare to other AIO's ....?

For the cost, its just about the price of most AIO's and was thinking about going for it in place of 151 ...? can someone who has used both comment...

for the moment i need additional polishing and finishing pads and have my choice of a 6 pack of polishing pads from Megs and a gallon 151 .. about $80

or a pair of MF DA Finishing pads $21 plus a gallon of the MF DA FinWax ...

What would you do?

C. Charles Hahn
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm actually planning to try exactly what you're describing - D301 and an MF Finishing Disc as a one-step - tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back results here.

I haven't used D151, but I do have and use M66 which from what I gather is the DAT predecessor to it. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison of the two to see what works better.

fredcandetail
03-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Sweet Charlie!
look forward to the reply!
I've been using a home-made brew for one steppers that I mix myself using Surbuf pads and just wanted to get some first hand knowledge before I drop $150 on a whim.
You ever use Surbuf pads?

James K
03-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I was seriously thinking about giving that a try tomorrow as well. Not sure if I will have the time. If I do, I will post up my thoughts.

C. Charles Hahn
03-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Sweet Charlie!
look forward to the reply!
I've been using a home-made brew for one steppers that I mix myself using Surbuf pads and just wanted to get some first hand knowledge before I drop $150 on a whim.
You ever use Surbuf pads?

Yeah, I have a few of those in the arsenal as well.

Actually that might make for a good experiment -- D301 with the Meg's finishing disc vs. cutting disc vs. Surbuf....

Guess this is going to take me longer than I thought :laughing:

I just wish the paint I will be working on wasn't bright silver, it would make judging and photographing results much easier. Might have to shoehorn my truck into the garage instead since it's a darker color and in more need of polishing anyway.

fredcandetail
03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
DO IT CHARLIE DO IT!!
here's my main problem with the DA MF system.... I ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS! anytime in the past that a new product that has come out and left me drooling I foolishly jumped in and bought it! Well guess what... I have over 40 different waxes compounds polishes glazes all about half full that need to get cleared out before I buy a new new system.
Besides most of my old school clients really enjoy seeing me with the 9227 polishing and jeweling their paint than with a wimpy orbital that massages (direct comment from a client)
Nonetheless I would love to hear your feedback!
Thanks Man!

James K
03-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Fred, what is this homebrew you are using?

C. Charles Hahn
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
DO IT CHARLIE DO IT!!
here's my main problem with the DA MF system.... I ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS! anytime in the past that a new product that has come out and left me drooling I foolishly jumped in and bought it! Well guess what... I have over 40 different waxes compounds polishes glazes all about half full that need to get cleared out before I buy a new new system.
Besides most of my old school clients really enjoy seeing me with the 9227 polishing and jeweling their paint than with a wimpy orbital that massages (direct comment from a client)
Nonetheless I would love to hear your feedback!
Thanks Man!

Well I can tell you one thing for sure. As a professional or enthusiast, it is your responsibility and obligation to educate your clients about the tools and products you are using if they make uninformed/misguided remarks like that. If an orbital can produce equal or even sometimes superior results with less effort and more safety in certain situations, it is quite obviously not a "wimpy" tool.

This is easily demonstrable (when you have your process dialed in) by taking that client's hood or trunk lid, and dividing it into three sections. The center section remains un-touched as a control environment. On the left, go ahead with the "traditional" rotary approach doing however many stages of compounding/polishing they will be paying for. On the right, use your orbital going through the same number of stages with the products and procedure you've found to be most effective with the tool you're using. Show them that you can get equal or better results with an orbital tool than you can with a rotary.

I've had to do pretty much exactly that demonstration on more than one occasion in order to convince people that the traditional wisdom of even 10 years ago is no longer valid. :props:

fredcandetail
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey Charlie I'm with you my man but as the detailer for a car club with rides dating from the 40's to the 70's I will pretty much jewel with my Makita in a speedo if I was paid! JK !!
But on a a serious note I do agree with you that the DA is certainly a tool that is a must for any professional... I just reallllllly love the Makita!

fredcandetail
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Fred, what is this homebrew you are using?

Sooooooo I am Surbuf lover in case you didn't already know!
I mix 3oz 105 and 9oz 151 and have the best correcting one step polish out there! And on boats with a wool and rotary fooooogetaboutit!
Try it you will be amazed

C. Charles Hahn
03-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Sooooooo I am Surbuf lover in case you didn't already know!
I mix 3oz 105 and 9oz 151 and have the best correcting one step polish out there! And on boats with a wool and rotary fooooogetaboutit!
Try it you will be amazed

I'm going to bite my tongue on this one....

James K
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I have never tried the surbuf, but will give your homebrew a shot.

Thanks.

aerogt01
03-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm going to bite my tongue on this one....

Well now you have me curious

C. Charles Hahn
03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Well now you have me curious

I'm just not a fan of home-brews or mixing products (for a number of reasons), but I've learned that it's not worth getting into a debate when the folks who use them aren't usually interested in hearing about the risks they're taking.

Same as the folks who get extremely defensive when talking about switching over to new products and procedures (which we've seen many of with just this DA system). Just not worth the headache of trying to reason things out.

:rant: