PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a new car

mattkrmp80
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I have done the baggie test and the finish on my new car is in excellent condition. I plan on using Optimum Opti seal.If by some chance I seal some conataminents I missed can this be harmful to the finish?

oldmodman
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Even on a new car with brand new paint (factory cured) it would still be a good idea to clay the finish first. That will remove any trace embedded crud before sealing. If you are using a fine grade clay, plenty of lubricant, and don't press too hard too should not marr the finish.

Then your sealant will have a good base to work off of.

mattkrmp80
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Even on a new car with brand new paint (factory cured) it would still be a good idea to clay the finish first. That will remove any trace embedded crud before sealing. If you are using a fine grade clay, plenty of lubricant, and don't press too hard too should not marr the finish.

Then your sealant will have a good base to work off of.

If I dont clay, but I just seal could I harm the finish?

Audi X2
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
It is not as much that you will harm the finish, but you will not provide the sealant with the best surface to bond to.
By claying and removing the bonded contaminants the sealant will only be contacting a smooth and clean paint surface. This will keep any dirt and particles from being further contained and will allow the sealant to provide the best protection.