PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice 845 muting metallic paint?

RobZ71LM7
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
As an experiment I topped my truck with 845IW. It previously had BFWD on it and before that WGDGPS 3.0. As on my other car which is solid red it did have a darkening effect on the paint, but the metal flake didn't shine as bright or pop as much as it would with a quality sealant. Reflectivity and depth is nice though.

ShaunD
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
The darkening effect may be taking away from the metallic in your perception. Don't be mistaken with darkening as Mike Phillips has pointed out; darkening is actually bringing out the depth of color which can sometimes be perceived as a bad thing, until you see a 50/50 of a dark paint with/without darkening. I have layered 845 over DGPS on my pewter metallic S10 and haven't noticed any lose of shine in the metallic. I love 845 because it buffs off so easily, and leaves the surface slicker, longer IMO. Try parking the vehicle in question in the opposite direction and see if the light reflects differently; a lot of times metallics in paint are somewhat directional because of the relation in which they were sprayed on. It all comes down to your perception of how a product works on your vehicles. Like Mike also says, "When you find something you like/works for you use it often."(Probably not an exact quote)
What color is the truck, btw?

RobZ71LM7
03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Magnetic gray metallic-Toyota color. The metallic is still visible, but the paint is definitely darker. I was surprised at the difference as I'm the kind of person that is hard pressed to tell the difference between many LSP's.