PDA

View Full Version : Re-waxing, after a few months.

Nitro24
03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello everyone I recently am new to the WolfGang products and I bought the, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Total Concours Kit. My question is after 5 months I understand I would have to re-wax the car to keep the shine and protection with this product. Do I have to start from the beginning using a clay bar and polish enhancer OR can I just put the Deep gloss sealant 3.0 on over the recent wax after giving the car a wash?

BobbyG
03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Hello!

Well, you certainly started off using one of the premium products offered through Autogeek. Wolfgang product perform very well and protect your cars finish for quite a while.

5 months is a long time. What have you done since performing the initial application?

I would give the exterior a complete and thorough wash & dry. Once dray evaluate the finish and see if it needs to be clayed again. I typically clay my daily drivers twice annually and since it's been 5 months I suspect you may need to perform this step as well.

One thing to remember; nothing is permanent. By this I mean every products degrades naturally over time due to the sun, washing, drying, wind, and just about everything a finish sees unless of course your car has been kept indoors in a controlled environment.

In my opinion there's more than likely very little protection left from the initial application unless you've been keeping this up regularly.

If this is a daily driver I would:

Wash
Clay
Polish (if needed or desired)
Sealant
Wax

Nitro24
03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
So from my understanding I would have to start from scratch, doing everything that I done when I first put the wax on... That sucks, I was hoping I could get away with using a polish and deep sealant. I am a daily driver and after a car wash I would put the SPRITZ on to help protect the was again.

Is there any tips you can provide me so next time I won't have to clay it again or polish? Or is this something that just should be done anyways? I amazed by this product and it has me hooked for life. :-)

A4 1.8tqm
03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
If you don't have any swirls to polish out and the paint passes the plastic bag test, you don't have to polish or clay. It's always good to prep the surface with a good paint cleaner like WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer, but you certainly can simply re-apply. It's up to you how in depth you go. IMO you should at least use the paint cleaner regardless, but it depends on the condition of the paint and your personal standards. :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
So from my understanding I would have to start from scratch, doing everything that I done when I first put the wax on... That sucks, I was hoping I could get away with using a polish and deep sealant. I am a daily driver and after a car wash I would put the SPRITZ on to help protect the was again.

Let's put the brakes on here and determine what you really need to do.

I asked what had you done since the initial application of your products? You may not need to start from scratch but only you can be the judge of it. Let's start off by understanding how you've maintained the finish over the past 5 months.

I see you also use SPRITZ after washing, I'm assuming this is one of the Wolfgang products.....this makes a big difference. Using this product reinforces the protective barrier making it that much more difficult for airborne contaminates to become embedded in the finish which would necessitate re-claying.

These are some of the questions you have to ask yourself.

Typically what is your car exposed to?
Is it around dusty or smoky environment?
How frequently do you wash it?
How do you dry it after washing?

You mentioned that you used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant or Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz, as I said, this is BIG when maintaining finish protection.

Is there any tips you can provide me so next time I won't have to clay it again or polish? Or is this something that just should be done anyways? I amazed by this product and it has me hooked for life. :-)

Of course.

Once a finish has been corrected, sealed, and waxed it becomes very easy to maintain providing it's done on a regular basis.

As an added step after I wash & dry I give the finish a once over with something like Optimum Spray Wax or Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax. Both products bring allot to the game providing both gloss and protection and are part of my maintenance regime.

The Wolfgang products you mention have probable performed a similar roll in adding additional protection so your finish might be in better shape than you think.

Wash & dry the finish. Now feel the surface and see if you can detect tiny particles that may have become embedded. If the finish feels very smooth then just wash, dry, seal or wax, step back and enjoy. :props:

Nitro24
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I'll do the plastic bag test, I forgot about that. When I wash it weekly I re-sealant with the SPRITZ.(That probably saved me from starting from the beginning.) I can use the plastic bag test to make sure there is not contaminates on the paint. If there isn't any than I can use the 3.0 wax than the SPRITZ sealant. This will save me the most time from possibility of claying it again. From my understand at wolf gang website I won't have to use the Paintwork Polish Enhancer at all even after claying. Thanks, you guys, I would of forgot how to do this- if I wasn't reminded. I could have made a mistake and wax over contaminates. Yikes..

BobbyG
03-05-2011, 07:11 AM
If there isn't any than I can use the 3.0 wax than the SPRITZ sealant. This will save me the most time from possibility of claying it again. From my understand at wolf gang website I won't have to use the Paintwork Polish Enhancer at all even after claying.

No, you certainly don't have to.

It's always good to start off with a nice clean finish. Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer will clean the finish and fill in some of those minor surface imperfections like swirls and micro marring. This just helps your finish look its best.

If the finsh looks good after washing then lay down a coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and Spritz as usual.

Nitro24
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
O.k. I'll keep that in mind...