PDA

View Full Version : Calling all UWWP Users (Question about dust/pollen)

ironman1982
03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
For all the avid Ultima Waterless Wash Plush users out there (CEEDOG and OldTiger especially) do you notice any significant attraction of pollen or dust to areas wiped with UWWP? I started using sometime after last year's pollen season (pine tree pollen can get ridiculous here in GA!) Well, this past Sunday evening I used UWWP on the entire front bumper cover and a significant section of the front hood of my 335i to remove bug debris which had accumulated during the drive home from my fiance's house. I had washed it on Wednesday evening before that. Well yesterday afternoon, you could see a definite line of separation between the unwiped areas of the hood and the wiped areas which hadn't been touched since last Wed. There was about 3 times the pollen on the wiped side. Since I didn't have UWWP this time last year this is the first exposure to significant amounts of pollen that I have had since getting it (in this case Bradford Pear Pollen..pine hasn't started yet). Any thoughts from the community on this...are yall seeing similar results? What about with Opti-Clean which I also have but haven't used recently.

Thanks,
Micah

Nitro24
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I never heard of UWWP you might want to rephrase that so the rest of us can understand.

ironman1982
03-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I never heard of UWWP you might want to rephrase that so the rest of us can understand.

First sentence of my post -> Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (not Plush lol)

Old Tiger
03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWWP). I havent seen this, BUT I use 3 different MF's to wipe a panel. Use the old Carand Gray/Gold for the bulk drying, Pak Shak Big Boys for intermediate and a long fiber MF for the final slow wipe down. I usually follow up with a Spray Sealant, DG, Megs, DoDo or others. I I havent noticed this but mine are both garaged. Bradfords and my cherry tree are in full bloom! Beautiful. Hope this helps!

CEE DOG
03-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Interesting ironman! I haven't noticed this either. My Sky is garaged but I have her at work today. I had here here a week or two ago as well. The pollen was real bad that day and when I left work she was covered in it but there was no differance in the area that had UWWP on it and the rest. I wonder if humidity or the type of pollen could be a factor... Don't know?

TornadoRed
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Washed it on Wednesday and wiped part of the hood on Sunday...

My guess is that there was a fine layer of dust or pollen on your hood between Wednesday and Sunday.

ironman1982
03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
My car is garaged when I get to the house as well...but the Air Force Base I work on has a ton of Bradford Pear Trees. I understand that there was already a very small layer of pollen/dust on the sections not wiped down but it wouldn't make sense for the freshly wiped (completely dried area with car garaged overnight after wiping) area to accumulate pollen/dust at such an accelerated rate as compared to the non-wiped area. I would think the outcome would be the opposite with the non-wiped area possessing the larger quantity of pollen. Any others here up for an separate independent test of their cars to see if its just something with my FK1000P/UWWP combo that's screwy? I will do this myself but will have to wait till next Thursday or so to begin as my car is headed into the bodyshop on Monday to have the entire bumper replaced due to a large gray fox deciding to cross my path. :mad:

TornadoRed
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I had it backwards. Sorry. You're right.
Do a test next time you wash the car. Wipe half the hood with UWWP and see which side gets more dust and pollen when both sides start out equally clean.

ironman1982
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I had it backwards. Sorry. You're right.
Do a test next time you wash the car. Wipe half the hood with UWWP and see which side gets more dust and pollen when both sides start out equally clean.

Good idea and that will definitely be more controlled. Although it will have to wait like I said above. Fortunately, for this test at least, the real pollen hasn't started yet....a few more weeks till the pine pollen starts. You can literally see a huge yellow cloud come out of a pine tree when a gust of wind comes through! :awman:

A4 1.8tqm
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Good idea and that will definitely be more controlled. Although it will have to wait like I said above. Fortunately, for this test at least, the real pollen hasn't started yet....a few more weeks till the pine pollen starts. You can literally see a huge yellow cloud come out of a pine tree when a gust of wind comes through! :awman:

Nooo! That's what happens in my driveway, I hate it!

I'd really like to see the same test but with one more area wiped down with FK 425 (which I use and love) or Finish Kare Anti Static Poly Wipe (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-antistatic-detailer.html) (which I am itching to try). I could supply you with a small sample of FK 425 if you will try it and post your results. :hungry:

Old Tiger
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I am stumped. I havent noticed pollen attraction are nubas. IME FK425 neutralized the static electric atteraction a good bit. Look forward to some testing.
with any of the 3 new concentrates. The only pollen magnets Ive tried

ironman1982
03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I am stumped. I havent noticed pollen attraction are nubas. IME FK425 neutralized the static electric atteraction a good bit. Look forward to some testing.
with any of the 3 new concentrates. The only pollen magnets Ive tried

Well I still have a little bit of Opti-Clean here at the house...my lady has the rest of the gallon at her house. I have a ton of UWWP. I, unfortunately, do not have any of the DP Concentrate. I ashamed to say it but I once I get the car back from the shop I am going to have to polish up the hood before doing any tests. Think of the black mustang in Mike Phillip's thread. Holograms all over my Jet Black car thanks to the body shop. Some hack with a rotary and wool pads that looked like he hadn't cleaned them in months! Maybe our friend with the Red Sky would be so kind to try this test since he more than likely has every spray waterless wash and detailing spray in existence! :awesome:

Bates Detailing
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
For all the avid Ultima Waterless Wash Plush users out there (CEEDOG and OldTiger especially) do you notice any significant attraction of pollen or dust to areas wiped with UWWP? I started using sometime after last year's pollen season (pine tree pollen can get ridiculous here in GA!) Well, this past Sunday evening I used UWWP on the entire front bumper cover and a significant section of the front hood of my 335i to remove bug debris which had accumulated during the drive home from my fiance's house. I had washed it on Wednesday evening before that. Well yesterday afternoon, you could see a definite line of separation between the unwiped areas of the hood and the wiped areas which hadn't been touched since last Wed. There was about 3 times the pollen on the wiped side. Since I didn't have UWWP this time last year this is the first exposure to significant amounts of pollen that I have had since getting it (in this case Bradford Pear Pollen..pine hasn't started yet). Any thoughts from the community on this...are yall seeing similar results? What about with Opti-Clean which I also have but haven't used recently.

Thanks,
Micah

I for the most part only use waterless products and I have only seen it happen with one of my fleets..... maybe because of their location being pollen infested?!?!? Not sure - but none of my regulars has complained and I haven't seen it happen on anything else. That fleet also sits off of a major road with a lot of traffic - maybe kicking up alot of pollen in the air?!?!?!? Im not a pollenologist but it makes a little sense to me lol - maybe.

zliegen
03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
I have not noticed any extra dust or pollen accumulation on areas cleaned that Ive cleaned with UWWP and its the only QD/WW that I use these days. Dust accumulation and attraction is a major reason that I switched from waxes to UPGP as UPGP reduces dust and pollen severely. I love Ultima!!