PDA

View Full Version : How to polish between emblem using DA???

JefriLay
03-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Mike and all who read this thread,
I have some difficulties in polishing between emblem which is smaller than the pad, should I just polish it by hand but still it is difficult to apply? The width is only 4cm.
I hope you can help me on this.
Best regards,
Jefri lay

Dr Oldz
03-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Some areas have to be done by hand unfortunately. There are smaller pads and machines available but using some old fashioned elbow grease is pretty much a guarantee.

JefriLay
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Some areas have to be done by hand unfortunately. There are smaller pads and machines available but using some old fashioned elbow grease is pretty much a guarantee.

Thanks Dr Oldz. It seems I have to do an old fashioned way to polish it ;)

oldmodman
03-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I made a tool to use to get inside letters in emblems.
I took a short piece of wooden dowel and glued a piece of chamois to one end. I put it in a drill at very slow speed and use whatever compound, cleaner, or polish I am using on the rest of the car. You can not bear down hard or you will heat up the paint too much due to the small size of the chamois concentrating all the pressure onto a very tiny area. I have one to polish, one to remove all the residue, one to apply wax, and another to remove the wax. I have also tried small balls of foam from worn out pads to remove the compound and wax but they tear up really fast. I get many uses out of chamois.
And you can also use the same tools, but with new, fresh, very soft chamois or microfiber to clean the inside of headlight housings.

sohail99
03-04-2011, 03:16 AM
^Seems like a great idea!

You can also use power cone or power ball - Drill attachments, polishing balls, buffing ball, Flitz Ball, Mothers PowerBall, Mother PowerCone (http://www.autogeek.net/drill-polishing-tools.html)

JefriLay
03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
I took a short piece of wooden dowel and glued a piece of chamois to one end. I put it in a drill at very slow speed and use whatever compound, cleaner, or polish I am using on the rest of the car. You can not bear down hard or you will heat up the paint too much due to the small size of the chamois concentrating all the pressure onto a very tiny area. I have one to polish, one to remove all the residue, one to apply wax, and another to remove the wax. I have also tried small balls of foam from worn out pads to remove the compound and wax but they tear up really fast. I get many uses out of chamois.
And you can also use the same tools, but with new, fresh, very soft chamois or microfiber to clean the inside of headlight housings.

Hi oldmodman,
Your idea is brilliant, I never thought about it, now I can do some experiment with the chamois and drill and a piece of wood.
By the way when is it necessary to clean the wax coating before polishing? Because I have waxed my car recently.
Thanks oldmodman...

JefriLay
03-04-2011, 06:45 AM
^Seems like a great idea!

You can also use power cone or power ball - Drill attachments, polishing balls, buffing ball, Flitz Ball, Mothers PowerBall, Mother PowerCone (http://www.autogeek.net/drill-polishing-tools.html)

I agree with you sohail99.. Modify time ;)

Midnight1700
03-04-2011, 08:43 AM

I've done pretty much the same thing except I take a little cotton ball and wrap it in a piece of MF cloth. Then I glue it on the end of the dowel. This give a little bit of cushing and doesn't seem to create as much heat. But still, you need to place the drill on a low speed, just in case. Better safe than sorry! Also, some areas around the emblems really get dirty and can be difficult to clean. In cases like this, I break out my steamer and it makes very short work of getting all the dirt out.

JefriLay
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I've done pretty much the same thing except I take a little cotton ball and wrap it in a piece of MF cloth. Then I glue it on the end of the dowel. This give a little bit of cushing and doesn't seem to create as much heat. But still, you need to place the drill on a low speed, just in case. Better safe than sorry! Also, some areas around the emblems really get dirty and can be difficult to clean. In cases like this, I break out my steamer and it makes very short work of getting all the dirt out.

Noted Midnight1700, one more respond that is valuable to me. Thanks bro.