PDA

View Full Version : Need help with buying a few things

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

slickooz
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Sup everyone! I talked to my mom about trying to start my own detailing business and she thought that it wasn't going happen. But recently I show her pics of my work and people emailing me about my service. Slowly she is believing that it might happen. So I asked her if I can burrow some money for some equipment. She said she can loan me 1200 and a couple months ago my grandmother said she can let me burrow 1000 to get things started.

I need a little help, with 2200 what should I get? Right now I'm going prob be using my dad mini van for my mobile detailing.

I was thinking about getting an extractor and maybe a steamer... I don't really need a water tank or power supply until I have my own working van.

Any help is much appreciated. :xyxthumbs:

Bates Detailing
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
2200 huh?!?!?! Here ya go:

Rotary polisher - if experienced using - 300
DA polisher - 300 +-100
extractor - Mytee Lite II - 850.00 (being very rough with the numbers)

That leaves you with 750

so..... a POWERFUL VAC - maybe 150.00 Rigid preferably

4ft or 6 ft ladder - fat like me = extra expense - lets say 90.00

leaves you with 510......

use 400 on products from AG (polishes, waxes, APCs, MFs, etc. whatever you are used to using..... but buy in bulk or large quantities)

save the other 110 for gas lol....

Before I started to Incorporate.... I had an envelope which I put AT LEAST 10% of every single job in..... this was for products or getting better equipment. The prices I gave you on equipment is for the top of the line equipment.... you could cut that down significantly and focus more on other things such as marketing, a website, etc. IMO of course!

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Sup everyone! I talked to my mom about trying to start my own detailing business and she thought that it wasn't going happen. But recently I show her pics of my work and people emailing me about my service. Slowly she is believing that it might work. So I asked her if I can burrow some money for some equipment. She said she can loan me 1200 and a couple months ago my grandmother said she can let me burrow 1000 to get things started.

I need a little help, with 2200 what should I get? Right now I'm going prob be using my dad mini van for my mobile detailing.

I was thinking about getting an extractor and maybe a steamer... I'm don't really need a water tank or power supply until I have my own working van.

Any help is much appreciated. :xyxthumbs:

I would definitely get an extractor. The Aztec, or the Mytee Lite II. I think you already have the other basics (vac, buffer, etc.). If you don't have an air compressor...I would get one.

Then if you get that, get the Tornador. The Tornador will feel funny at first...but you'll get used to it, and soon enough you'll need it for every job. Cuts your interior time in half.

Wouldn't hurt to pickup everything you need to do a bunch of headlight restores. You can get $50-$75 a pop with that service as an add on. You'll get your money back quick. I probably make thousands of dollars a year just on headlight restores alone.

Other than that, just buy some of your go to products in bulk. That way you'll have as much as you need. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. :xyxthumbs:

slickooz
03-03-2011, 12:49 AM
2200 huh?!?!?! Here ya go:

Rotary polisher - if experienced using - 300
DA polisher - 300 +-100
extractor - Mytee Lite II - 850.00 (being very rough with the numbers)

That leaves you with 750

so..... a POWERFUL VAC - maybe 150.00 Rigid preferably

4ft or 6 ft ladder - fat like me = extra expense - lets say 90.00

leaves you with 510......

use 400 on products from AG (polishes, waxes, APCs, MFs, etc. whatever you are used to using..... but buy in bulk or large quantities)

save the other 110 for gas lol....

Before I started to Incorporate.... I had an envelope which I put AT LEAST 10% of every single job in..... this was for products or getting better equipment. The prices I gave you on equipment is for the top of the line equipment.... you could cut that down significantly and focus more on other things such as marketing, a website, etc. IMO of course!

Thanks, I def need an extractor. I don't have a rotary, what would you guys recommend? I have seen a lot of people working with a Makita and the Flex. I have a decent vac from Home Depot. And I have bunch of different size ladder because my dad is a carpenter.

Putting 10% of earning into the side is a GREAT idea and should be used by everyone who is just starting, so you can buy bigger and better stuff down the line.

I would definitely get an extractor. The Aztec, or the Mytee Lite II. I think you already have the other basics (vac, buffer, etc.). If you don't have an air compressor...I would get one.

Then if you get that, get the Tornador. The Tornador will feel funny at first...but you'll get used to it, and soon enough you'll need it for every job. Cuts your interior time in half.

Wouldn't hurt to pickup everything you need to do a bunch of headlight restores. You can get $50-$75 a pop with that service as an add on. You'll get your money back quick. I probably make thousands of dollars a year just on headlight restores alone.

Other than that, just buy some of your go to products in bulk. That way you'll have as much as you need. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks! I'm lucky enough to have an air compressor my dad do a lot of wood work so we need it to nail wood floor and borders. What is the Tornador exactly? I bought a thing where it had a trigger where it blows everything out of cervices. Is that the same thing?

So I thought when working on head lights, you can use either a rotary or a DA with pads and compound? I need something else?

Bates Detailing
03-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks, I def need an extractor. I don't have a rotary, what would you guys recommend? I have seen a lot of people working with a Makita and the Flex. I have a decent vac from Home Depot. And I have bunch of different size ladder because my dad is a carpenter.

Putting 10% of earning into the side is a GREAT idea and should be used by everyone who is just starting, so you can buy bigger and better stuff down the line.

Thanks! I'm lucky enough to have an air compressor my dad do a lot of wood work so we need it to nail wood floor and borders. What is the Tornador exactly? I bought a thing where it had a trigger where it blows everything out of cervices. Is that the same thing?

So I thought when working on head lights, you can use either a rotary or a DA with pads and compound? I need something else?

If you are serious about getting crankin - use the extra money from already having the ladders and vacuum for marketing.... create some flyers.... get business cards..... etc. You can get them free at vistaprint.com register, be patient, and they will send you free offers weekly or biweekly..... I personally create my own flyers and print them at Staples down teh road..... on my jump drive at all times ready for me to print off and go market. Find some community boards and post a flyer there...... also, read the threads throughout the social group bro - really good stuff there...... don't know if you read them all - but some things on there are definitely key to succeeding!

slickooz
03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
If you are serious about getting crankin - use the extra money from already having the ladders and vacuum for marketing.... create some flyers.... get business cards..... etc. You can get them free at vistaprint.com register, be patient, and they will send you free offers weekly or biweekly..... I personally create my own flyers and print them at Staples down teh road..... on my jump drive at all times ready for me to print off and go market. Find some community boards and post a flyer there...... also, read the threads throughout the social group bro - really good stuff there...... don't know if you read them all - but some things on there are definitely key to succeeding!

Yeah I need to make flyers and business cards. But the problem is I don't have a name yet. And I don't have LLC or insurance, should I be posting and advertising everywhere now? I'm going test the waters and try this and once I get enough business I can get everything finalized. I'm very new to this business and REALLY want this to work.

I messed up in school and now I found something I like to do and it also pays well. I don't plan on going back to school, so I need this to work lol.

I got a friend who going help me make a website. He did this for a friend's uncle.
Top Tortillas - Tex-Mexican Food! (http://www.toptortillasny.com/)

I just want something simple where I can post package price, pics and some info about me.

I live in East Brunswick... And I can't really figure out a name now, so should I just have my business called "East Brunswick detailing"?

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 01:06 AM

That sounds like the Tornador... Wolfgang Tornador Car Cleaning Gun, auto detailing gun, interior cleaning gun (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-car-cleaning-gun.html)

For headlights I use either a hand drill, or air drill. I always have 500, 800, 1000, and 3000 grit Hookit II sanding discs on hand. You dry sand with 500, and 800. Wet sand with 1000 and 3000. THEN compound, polish, and seal with urethane.

If headlights are only lightly oxidized...you can use compound. When they turn completely yellow though...you gotta sand them down. :dblthumb2:

slickooz
03-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I have something like this for my compressor.
Husky Pistol Grip Blow Gun - HDA50400AV at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100064491/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Bates Detailing
03-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah I need to make flyers and business cards. But the problem is I don't have a name yet. And I don't have LLC or insurance, should I be posting and advertising everywhere now? I'm going test the waters and try this and once I get enough business I can get everything finalized. I'm very new to this business and REALLY want this to work.

I messed up in school and now I found something I like to do and it also pays well. I don't plan on going back to school, so I need this to work lol.

I got a friend who going help me make a website. He did this for a friend's uncle.

I just want something simple where I can post package price, pics and some info about me.

An LLC is not needed man..... all you need is a few bucks (in TN) for a business license to work in your city or county or both...... most people on here do not have insurance.... I didn't have insurance for awhile before I got busy enough to get it.... and the only reason I got it was to expand and get companies as clients that required it. As long as you are careful and patient - you will be fine. So yes - go for it..... market away, make that money, then if you decide that this is for you..... then get the insurance, LLC, Corporation, etc. Focus on getting that clientele first!

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 01:11 AM

I live in East Brunswick... And I can't really figure out a name now, so should I just have my business called "East Brunswick detailing"?

If you are going to go with a business name...make sure you register the name with the state. Otherwise you may run into problems using a business name. You may want to just use your name until you register, and get an LLC.

More or less just make a personal business card. Just have your name, number, email, etc. Then just list some services.

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 01:14 AM
An LLC is not needed man..... all you need is a few bucks (in TN) for a business license to work in your city or county or both...... most people on here do not have insurance.... I didn't have insurance for awhile before I got busy enough to get it.... and the only reason I got it was to expand and get companies as clients that required it. As long as you are careful and patient - you will be fine. So yes - go for it..... market away, make that money, then if you decide that this is for you..... then get the insurance, LLC, Corporation, etc. Focus on getting that clientele first!

I agree. I dropped my LLC last year cause it actually made my taxes go up. Plus, I don't need it. Insurance is one of those things I've bounced back and forth with. It really is a waste of money. I've had one single mishap in all my years of detailing. My insurance didn't even cover it. You just waste thousands of dollars on insurance you'll most likely never use.

slickooz
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM
I just checked the tornado gun out. Kris do you use it every time you detail the inside? It looks very useless for carpet and fabric seats since I will be using an extractor. But it looks like it does a great job cleaning dashboard and tight areas.

Is it really worth 130? If cleaning interior I usually use spray bottle and wipe everything down.

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 01:17 AM
I have something like this for my compressor.
Husky Pistol Grip Blow Gun - HDA50400AV at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100064491/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Oh, yeah that's just an air gun. The Tornador puts out a pulsating mist. So you can use it safely on electronics, switches, etc. Thing is my best friend.

Some people use it as a cleaning tool. I personally prefer it as a dressing tool. I fill it with a water based dressing. I clean all the vinyl with magic sponges, and APC. Then go around and dress with the Tornador. Thing rules.

slickooz
03-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Oh, yeah that's just an air gun. The Tornador puts out a pulsating mist. So you can use it safely on electronics, switches, etc. Thing is my best friend.

Some people use it as a cleaning tool. I personally prefer it as a dressing tool. I fill it with a water based dressing. I clean all the vinyl with magic sponges, and APC. Then go around and dress with the Tornador. Thing rules.

Thanks! Might pick up a tornado later once I pick up a lot more clients.

I remember Kris you made a thread about getting an extractor, I was wondering if those machine last very long? I might be looking in getting a used one if I can find a good price.

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 01:21 AM
I just checked the tornado gun out. Kris do you use it every time you detail the inside? It looks very useless for carpet and fabric seats since I will be using an extractor. But it looks like it does a great job cleaning dashboard and tight areas.

Is it really worth 130? If cleaning interior I usually use spray bottle and wipe everything down.

Well for me...it's a necessity now. I used to spray dressing and use an air gun to get in all the cracks and crevices. This does things using that method could not. It has a switch where you can flip it to just air. Which is extremely useful. If you get that annoying type of flat surface vinyl that is hard to get streaks out of...you just spray with the dressing, then flip it to air, and dry it off evenly.

It's hard to explain how useful the Tornador is. I've gotten 3 of my interior guys hooked on it. It just makes things easier.

But for carpets and stuff....I don't even really use it. Although, there have been times where I'll switch the container to cleaner, and get those tiny carpeted tight spaces between the seat and the kick panel clean. It's so useful in so many ways. I promise you.