PDA

View Full Version : Goo Gone Beware!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

slickooz
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Yesterday I was removing the badges off my car. I was using Goo Gone to remove the adhesive stuff off and some of it dripped onto the light lens. After I was finished I noticed that the Goo Gone had made some bubbles on the top corner of the lens. I will post pics tomorrow when there sun out.

When using Goo Gone !!!!!TAPE UP THE AREA AROUND THOSE LIGHT COVER!!!!
I hope my mistake can help you guys.

Bates Detailing
03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Yesterday I was removing the badges off my car. I was using Goo Gone to remove the adhesive stuff off and some of it dripped onto the light lens. After I was finished I noticed that the Goo Gone had made some bubbles on the top corner of the lens. I will post pics tomorrow when there sun out.

When using Goo Gone !!!!!TAPE UP THE AREA AROUND THOSE LIGHT LENS!!!!
I hope my mistake can help you guys.

Better your ride than a customers! Thanx for the info! Never liked that stuff anyway.

slickooz
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Better your ride than a customers! Thanx for the info! Never liked that stuff anyway.

Yeah when I was reading about debadging no one ever mention about tapping area. So I wanted to give a heads up. The damage wasn't bad, Ill show you tomorrow.

richy
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
A good product to cut adhesive that's safe on paint is Krud Kutter which is available at Home Depot.

Bates Detailing
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Ive always used 3m adhesive remover - but I can't stand the viscosity of it - anything else out there that is thicker and paint safe?!?!?!

slickooz
03-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah I didn't really like Goo Gone. It took me about 1.5 hours to remove both Acura and TSX badges. I don't know if its because it my first time or it really takes that long?

Bates Detailing
03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah I didn't really like Goo Gone. It took me about 1.5 hours to remove both Acura and TSX badges. I don't know if its because it my first time or it really takes that long?

I think goo gone is mainly used for adhesive on tape like that used on wrapping christmas gifts lol..... I have better luck using a stronger degreaser and some finger strength.

slickooz
03-03-2011, 12:02 AM
It says on the back of the bottle of goo gone that it is citrus solvent.
I have a gallon of Meg solvent.. would that work?

slickooz
03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
A good product to cut adhesive that's safe on paint is Krud Kutter which is available at Home Depot.

Thanks going check it out tomorrow.

Ive always used 3m adhesive remover - but I can't stand the viscosity of it - anything else out there that is thicker and paint safe?!?!?!

Where can I buy this stuff?

Bates Detailing
03-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks going check it out tomorrow.

Where can I buy this stuff?

In tennessee there is a paint shop about 10 miles from me lol that carries it..... other than that - not sure. A piece of me feels like AG may carry it - but I can't remember -

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I got a bottle of goo gone with a inch of dust on it. Never liked that stuff. It's fairly useless. Especially for what you were doing with it. I'm with Anthony, I usually use degreaser, and I also have some stuff from Malco called Pro Finish. Pro Finish is honestly the best product I've ever used. Stuff works on everything, it's crazy. :xyxthumbs:

C. Charles Hahn
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM

It's because Goo Gone is complete and utter crap, that's why. :props:

RobZ71LM7
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I use mineral spirits to help remove adhesive and double sided tape. Per Mike Phillips it's safer than IPA on paint.

Streetlife
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I use Stoners Xenit and a plastic razor blade for debadging. Im the MAN

kkreit01
03-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I leave the badges on :)....but maybe if I drove a Honda, this would be helpful :joking: