PDA

View Full Version : Tundra single stage paint - HELP!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tundra
03-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Greetings fellow autogeeks. First post!

I have a Tundra (if you couldn't guess from the screen name). It's a 2008. The problem is the paint sucks! I've done some digging and found out that on some models Toyota uses single stage painting. Basically, there's no clear coat on top of the paint. My take is that clear is mixed in.

I have hand-sized marks on the truck that look like oxidation. The marks are shiny in the middle but have oval shaped oxidized rings around them. Their not terribly noticeable to the normal person, but I'm on the autogeek forum... none of us are normal people about this stuff!

I decided to try to polish the rings out with my PC7424 using Klasse all-in-one (orange pad), followed by Klasse sealer (white pad), and then carnuba MaxWax (gray pad). I watched the various vids on autogeek about how to polish (6 passes up/down, left/right). The spot did improve after this treatment, but I can still see it in direct sunlight.

Do I need to use a more abrasive product or pad?
If I keep polishing can I damage the paint?

Thanks!

JonMiles
03-02-2011, 11:13 PM
You need to step up to a slightly more aggressive technique to get rid of the oxidation.

Try polishing with something that is actually abrasive, a polish like megs 205 or menzerna SIP. The AIO will effectively clean the paint but doesn't have any real bite to it.

buddhadog
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Oval shaped rings suggests the truck has been spot painted . Did you buy it new ?

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Oval shaped rings suggests the truck has been spot painted . Did you buy it new ?

Those were my thoughts as well. It's not normal for oxidation to take the shape of oval rings. Sounds like it may have been painted to me as well.

I think we need some pictures! :Picture:

Tundra
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I didn't buy it new, but the truck hasn't been resprayed. Unfortunately this is a known issue with white Tundra's.

So what I'm hearing is more agressive product. How about the pad? I'm using Lake Country orange for the polishing. Stick w/ that?

aerogt01
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't go any more aggressive than orange for what you're doing.

tuscarora dave
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I'd go Ultimate Compound with white pad & if that don't cut it step up to an orange pad.

Tundra
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Okay... just read about the ultimate compound. Sounds good. After that klasse sealer and wax again?

aerogt01
03-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Okay... just read about the ultimate compound. Sounds good. After that klasse sealer and wax again?

If you after you're done with the compound/polishing you look really closely and make sure the marks aren't there. Then you're good to go with the Klasse!

Rayaz
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
2008 and the paint is shot already? Rather than going with various compounds, get aggressive with Toyota and see if they will do a good will respray. White should not oxidize this soon no matter!

Black Car
03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
yup, I'm with Rayaz. If it was repainted maybe try to find the body shop that did it.

buddhadog
03-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Yes Toyota white single stage paint does oxidize after a couple years ..ive seen it a few times now. But your right it shouldnt happen so quickly!!

Ive also had to use heavy compound and high speed buffing to get the oxidzed paint off. This isnt right either for such new vehicles .

Tundra
03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
2008 and the paint is shot already? Rather than going with various compounds, get aggressive with Toyota and see if they will do a good will respray. White should not oxidize this soon no matter!

I really would rather not have a respray. I tried the compound and it worked really well. The spots disappeared and I have only done the compounding. It should look great after a polish/seal/wax. Thanks!

03slvrsnake
04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
My dad has a white 2008 tundra and it also has the "white ovals" like your talking about (it has never been repainted). I believe he has two on the hood and some others on the bed panels. I did a light paint correction on it, and did not get them out. Were you able to get yours out? I'm going to try a more aggressive approach with M105 and a orange or yellow pad in the near future and see if that gets it out.

diablojota
04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
If it's a 2008, you should go to Toyota and complain. There may be a TSB or warranty work that can be done...