PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaning Questions!

VW 91
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Ok so I've been wanting to buy a steamer for a while now. As of now Im not going to be busy enough to go all out and spend $500 or more. I want something thats fairly reliable and has good cleaning power for carpets and upholstery cleaning. I can get a Bissel Little Green and Bissel Autocare Proheat locally for $100 and $130 respectively. Im also interested in the McCulloch MC-1275, and I like the fact that it has the spray-gun nozzle for the steam. Can you use the McCulloch to effectively clean carpets?

And also I can get Folex locally, but was wondering if I can use APC+ at 10:1 on upholstery prior to steam cleaning. Just to clarify, is the Folex that everyone is using?

Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/3/CleaningToolsVacuums/FloorAndCarpetCareSupplies/PRD~0530757P/Folex%252BInstant%252BCarpet%252BSpot%252BRemover. jsp?locale=en)

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bates Detailing
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok so I've been wanting to buy a steamer for a while now. As of now Im not going to be busy enough to go all out and spend $500 or more. I want something thats fairly reliable and has good cleaning power for carpets and upholstery cleaning. I can get a Bissel Little Green and Bissel Autocare Proheat locally for $100 and $130 respectively. Im also interested in the McCulloch MC-1275, and I like the fact that it has the spray-gun nozzle for the steam. Can you use the McCulloch to effectively clean carpets?

And also I can get Folex locally, but was wondering if I can use APC+ at 10:1 on upholstery prior to steam cleaning. Just to clarify, is the Folex that everyone is using?

Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/3/CleaningToolsVacuums/FloorAndCarpetCareSupplies/PRD%7E0530757P/Folex%252BInstant%252BCarpet%252BSpot%252BRemover. jsp?locale=en)

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I use Woolite Oxy OTC - better than anything else I have ever used believe it or not..... I will be getting the vx5000 friday - FINALLY ...... from what I understand from reading steamer vs. extractor threads - steamers can get the job done - but I think it does require some good prep work first (spot cleaning, agitating, etc.) which I personally do before any extraction anyway. APC will be good..... but the Woolite Oxy from Wal-Mart... Kroger.... anywhere actually is great stuff IMO!

VW 91
03-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I use Woolite Oxy OTC - better than anything else I have ever used believe it or not..... I will be getting the vx5000 friday - FINALLY ...... from what I understand from reading steamer vs. extractor threads - steamers can get the job done - but I think it does require some good prep work first (spot cleaning, agitating, etc.) which I personally do before any extraction anyway. APC will be good..... but the Woolite Oxy from Wal-Mart... Kroger.... anywhere actually is great stuff IMO!

If I can ever afford it, I will be buying the VX5000 as well. Looks like an awesome steamer. What are your methods on upholstery, and is it possible to have them dry within a few hours?

Bates Detailing
03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
If I can ever afford it, I will be buying the VX5000 as well. Looks like an awesome steamer. What are your methods on upholstery, and is it possible to have them dry within a few hours?

From my research..... it looks like maybe a 15 minute dry time as opposed to a 2 to 4 hour dry time with an extractor..... Alot of people choose one over the other, or have a cheap extractor and an expensive steamer or vise versa...... But my personal belief is that a steamer will be more versatile and I will make it work for me when it comes to carpets! Again though guys, I don't have one yet - I will definitely post comments when I do get one though.... I have a nasty ride waiting to get detailed when it gets here to test it.... before and afters will be on AG that day for sure!

AeroCleanse
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
You won't get much cleaning effect with a low power steamer like the McCulloch MC-1275.

I use a $600ish steamer Uni-Lux 3000.

I mist Folex on then steam at full power on carpets and upholstery. Steam dries in less than 10min in most cases. You can use APC+ as well, but you might want to have one mixed at 4:1 for dirtier carpets.

matth9
03-03-2011, 12:35 AM
I will be getting the vx5000 friday - FINALLY ......

Looking forward to seeing a review from you, I'm also thinking about buying this machine!

Bates Detailing
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Looking forward to seeing a review from you, I'm also thinking about buying this machine!

Im looking forward to a review from me as well LOL! It's about a month or two past due...... planned on buying it awhile back - but mobile TRUCK costs kicked my butt!

Kristopher1129
03-03-2011, 12:52 AM
You won't get much cleaning effect with a low power steamer like the McCulloch MC-1275.

I use a $600ish steamer Uni-Lux 3000.

I mist Folex on then steam at full power on carpets and upholstery. Steam dries in less than 10min in most cases. You can use APC+ as well, but you might want to have one mixed at 4:1 for dirtier carpets.

I agree with Aero. I believe we got into this similar convo a few threads back. I have the McCulloch, and do actually use it on fairly clean carpet. It's good for touch up spots. But any carpet that I would normally extract...the McCulloch wouldn't do a thing. It has no vac system, which I think would be crucial when using it to clean carpets.

IMO, if you're going to rely on a steamer for carpets...it's gotta be a nice one. Those get real pricey. $1000 and up. I always get great results with my extractor. But then again...I love my McCulloch...it was cheap, and does everything I need it to aside from carpets.:xyxthumbs:

VW 91
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Believe me, I'd love to get a nicer higher end steamer like a VX5000.. But right now that is absolutely not an option. I figured something is better nothing. I've been reading some reviews about the bissel autocare proheat and a lot of them are postive. I also have the aqua carpet brush attachment for my PC, but I figured if I went over the carpets with the brush and APC+ then went over them with the steamer I could get pretty good results.