PDA

View Full Version : I am going to use OCW for the first time

G37
03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I plan to use OCW for the first time this weekend. After I wash and dry using OID I will put a coat of OCW using plush MF towels. I have done plenty of research on OCW application and I plan to use about 2 sprays per panel and spread then wipe off immediately. Do I have to prime the plush MF towel with a couple sprays of OCW first? Any advice from OCW users?

CleanGene
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
You do not need to prime a MF to begin. A couple sprays per panel is a good start. You might find yourself using more as OCW tends to dissipate quickly once you start working it. I just applied a coat to my wife's car this past weekend. It easy to apply and is a lifesaver when time is an issue.

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Priming is the opposite of what you want to do. As you go thru the panels, the towel will get more and more saturated and you will start to get streaking..that's why I like to use the Mr. Miyagi technique (wax on with one towel, wax off with another) and use one towel to apply and spread, and then a second towel to buff dry...or you can simply use one towel until the first one starts to streak on you and then add a second one, and a third if necessary, retiring the first one.

Rsurfer
03-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Priming is the opposite of what you want to do. As you go thru the panels, the towel will get more and more saturated and you will start to get streaking..that's why I like to use the Mr. Miyagi technique (wax on with one towel, wax off with another) and use one towel to apply and spread, and then a second towel to buff dry...or you can simply use one towel until the first one starts to streak on you and then add a second one, and a third if necessary, retiring the first one.
Funny I've never had a streaking problem using OCW. I do as you and use two towels and because the paint is clean I use the same towels for the whole car and never had a streaking problem.

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Funny I've never had a streaking problem using OCW. I do as you and use two towels and because the paint is clean I use the same towels for the whole car and never had a streaking problem.

Maybe streaking isn't the right word, this is the method I use for any spray product like that, Z8, AW, OCW, Acrylic Glanz, to get it wiped dry. It's just an extension of the "turn to a clean (dry?) portion of the towel for the final wipe".

Rsurfer
03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe streaking isn't the right word, this is the method I use for any spray product like that, Z8, AW, OCW, Acrylic Glanz, to get it wiped dry. It's just an extension of the "turn to a clean (dry?) portion of the towel for the final wipe".
:iagree:

Chris Thomas
03-02-2011, 11:56 PM
One panel at a time: Spray on, spread over entire panel evenly, flip towel (or use different towel) and buff till gone. Don't overthink it and don't go slow because it's your first time. It's really easy.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

G37
03-19-2011, 01:26 PM
It rained today and this is the second week with one coat of OCW on the finish and the car was washed once last saturday with OPT car wash. The car is beading water like crazy almost like its stuck to the finish even on the doors and lower sides. Isnt the water suppose to sheet rather than bead?

Rsurfer
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
It rained today and this is the second week with one coat of OCW on the finish and the car was washed once last saturday with OPT car wash. The car is beading water like crazy almost like its stuck to the finish even on the doors and lower sides. Isnt the water suppose to sheet rather than bead?OCW is a wax so it should bead.

cobalt9123
03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
It rained today and this is the second week with one coat of OCW on the finish and the car was washed once last saturday with OPT car wash. The car is beading water like crazy almost like its stuck to the finish even on the doors and lower sides. Isnt the water suppose to sheet rather than bead?

Sheeting is actually the opposite of what you want.

If you can remember to, the next time you clay your car or a panel, run your water hose over that panel. The water will sheet and stick to the paint which is not a good thing because it means the water is staying on your car and likely to cause water spots--it also means that there is likely no protection for your paint.

A waxed vehicle surface will keep most water from adhering to the paint surface. The water molecules will, however, cohere with each other which is what we call "beading".