PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for upcoming detail

newb001
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi all. I've been 'detailing' since late 2010 (just for myself) and have only really done 1 big detail on my car (so I'm still a newbie).

As background I have a 2010 black Audi and all cleaning/detailing is done by hand.

For my first big foray into detailing (in September 2010) I did the following: ONR wash, KAIO, 845. I tried to clay but after doing 1/4 of the hood it didn't feel right and I didn't want to mess anything up.

Since September I have done 2 or 3 more ONR washes, one time drying with Prima Hydro and another with FK425. I have also done a couple of power washes at a local coin-op, with no follow-up at home (even though it needed it) as it's been too cold for me. At the coin-op a couple weeks ago I must admit that I used the soap option even though I know it's not the best idea. The car was just so dirty and I figured I'd be adding some protection in the coming weeks.

So, now that the weather is looking a bit nicer (might be 50 in NY this weekend), I was thinking of doing an ONR wash and then 'something else'. I will also attempt to clay but am still a bit hesitant. I would then either just use a spray wax (Hydro), or 845. My question is (and I'm sure the answer is yes but I wanted to double-check), do I need to use a cleaner/AIO (KAIO or AG SRP) before my LSP? Or if I'm comfortable with the finish after the wash/clay just go ahead with the LSP? It's been 6 months since I did the 845 so it's probably mostly gone (though beading still looks ok).

Also, I have Menzerna PowerLock which at some point I want to try out (was thinking of doing half the hood with 845 and half with MPL). Does using MPL instead of 845 change whether I should use an AIO first?

Thanks!

Mike Moore
03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
This should get you started.
Put a baggie on your hand
Rub it on your hood.
Do you feel little bumps?

2 bucket wash
Clay w/clay lube
Rinse after clay
Check for swirls
AIO entire car
IPA Wipe down
MPL entire car
wait 24 hours
MPL entire car
wait 24 hours
Collinite 845
wait 12 hours
Collinite 845

Enjoy the shine!

newb001
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the idea. Not sure I'm prepared to put 4 coats of LSP though (1 is enough stress for me...) :). Also, couple of follow-ups:

1. If I'm ok with whatever swirls there are and don't want to attempt to hide them with the AIO, is it still necessary to use the AIO?

2. Is the IPA wipe down necessary?

3. If I do decide to do multiple coats 24 hours apart, do I need to do anything else (i.e. QD entire car or Opti-Clean entire car) before adding that new coat? I park in an indoor garage of an apartment building and it gets quite dusty...

Thanks again!

Mike Moore
03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the idea. Not sure I'm prepared to put 4 coats of LSP though (1 is enough stress for me...) :). Also, couple of follow-ups:

1. If I'm ok with whatever swirls there are and don't want to attempt to hide them with the AIO, is it still necessary to use the AIO?

3. If I do decide to do multiple coats 24 hours apart, do I need to do anything else (i.e. QD entire car or Opti-Clean entire car) before adding that new coat? I park in an indoor garage of an apartment building and it gets quite dusty...

Thanks again!

AIO should not have fillers. it is a paint prep not a glaze with fillers.
Yes, IPA is used to remove any and all product from your paint before LSP.
Fill a misting bottle 1:1 with IPA and water to clean with.
You should ALWAYS apply at least 2 coats of any LSP.
MPL is a sealant and takes 24 hours to fully cure before you can add another coat.
I suggested 2 coats of 845 after MPL for shine. (again 2 coats)
I feel that MLP give the synthetic sealant protection and 845 a good shine.
You may be able to mist with water and wipe dry with good clean microfiber towels.
You do not want to apply LSP over dust and dirt. Do not clean at this point with IPA.
I just suggested what I thought was the best use of the products you said you already had.

newb001
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Great, thanks again for the info!

Slicer
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I am in the same boat, under ground garage and planning my next detail with very little idea what I am doing. My black '06 Mustang GT Convertible had some issues with the finnish. Two months ago I used the clay bar for the first time and followed up with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax applied with a Porter Cable DA. The Smooth Surface Clay Kit is almost idiot proof. I do not know about any of the other brands, get two kits though, I dropped two bars.

In two weeks I will be doing another clay (still has some issues), Meg's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax.

LegacyGT
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM

The IPA wipe down is not necessary, it is used to check for any remaining swirls or imperfections that are masked by fillers or oils in the polishing steps.

If you are not concerned with swirl removal, skip the IPA wipe down, it will save quite a bit of time.

Some of Mikes posts have been dealing with this lately, my favorite is along the lines of 'never have I woken up the next morning to find my LSP slipped off the can and onto the garage floor'.