PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on dealing with a neglected interior?

rvx290
03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Looking for tips on how to deal with abused cloth interiors.
I am working on bringing back a Ford F-150 that was previously a farm truck that wasnt taken care of.
Though it has come a LONG way from where it was when I got the truck, I cannot seem to get it to where I think it has the potential to be, (I do know sometimes there is a point of no return when where something has been neglected and abused for so long that it can only come so clean.) But browsing the pictures on this and other sites I have seen worse which is why I think I am doing something wrong.

First of all, the Carpets, as much as I vaccuum scrub and shampoo after it dries there is still a brown tinge that always show up by the time it dries especially in the drivers side near the kickplate & scuffplate, I have used APC @ different strengths and Folex as well.
The Cloth Seats, sort of the same deal I have scrubbed and they appear clean until they dry off, then there are rings that are darker in the middle and a small white film around it. I have done them 3 times over in the past month I dont know if my technique is wrong or its too far gone because I can only get them 70%

Attached is what the seat looked like before, (this RH seat that was the better of the 2 because I forgot to snap a pic of the drivers seat before I started on it.
The back seat was because the rear side window was left open in the compound yard it was in and got soaked plus a guard dog made his home there for a week, surprizingly the rear seats came out spotless.) I will try to post current pics if anyone needs them to analyze what the problem might be.
Before...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2463m06.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/33zeozl.jpg

DLB
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Honestly - best bet would be to pull the seats and the carpet and pressure wash between APC scrubbings.

I have salvaged some pretty nasty interiors this way.

The Ford truck seats like that really tend to leave behind the white marks like you mentioned. You have to get the area TOTALLY clean, then remove as much moisture as possible from the fabric, and let the sun dry it from there.

You can spot clean with an extractor of some kind, again, just make sure you are rinsing clean before you stop cleaning (no more dirt picks up when you wet it).

DLB

Mazda.Mark
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
truth to dlb his advice is as good as it gets here.

Cruiser57
03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I have had good luck with these seats using a Porter Cable DA orbital polisher with the brush attachment and Resolve Triple Action spray. You will have to go over it a few times because its so bad and let it dry in between cleanings. Run an extractor over the material after each shampooing might help.