PDA

View Full Version : Flex Polisher...What to do With My PC??

Pages : [1] 2

galaxy
03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
What are you guys doing with your 7424's retirement?? I'm thinking since there's no 5" backing plate (OTC) for the flex, I'll just leave the original and keep using 6.5" pads on that. Then change the 7424 over to a 4" pad and leave it that way for those appropriate areas?? Good plan? What have you guys done?

LegacyGT
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I am keeping the PC for wax/sealant/LSP application and removal, plus carpet cleaning (with brushes) and someday wet-sanding.

If you are talking about the 3401, there is now a smaller backing plate to use 5.5'' pads with. It just came out within the past few weeks.

The PC will also be handy with a 4'' backing plate for tight areas (though I am using my rotary for 4'' pads).

BobbyG
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
My Porter Cable 7424 polisher's main role is applying sealants and waxes. It works phenomenally well and I wish I started using it for that purpose sooner. :props:

I do have 4" pads and backing plates just in case I need it for tight areas..

Wendell Jarvis
03-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Hold on to your PC, its a versatile tool, you can buy attachments (Brushes) I use them to clean carpet, floor mats and trust me, it will save you allot of time, unless you have a better method.

Mike Phillips
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
My Porter Cable 7424 polisher's main role is applying sealants and waxes. It works phenomenally well and I wish I started using it for that purpose sooner.

I agree. Anytime I can apply a wax or paint sealant by machine I do so, it's faster, more effective and in my opinion safer than applying a finishing wax or paint sealant by hand.

By hand is usually your 4 fingers, not your hand because you must place your thumb on the other side of the applicator pad to grip it. This varies of course with the type of hand applicator pad you choose to use.

Plus, when doing the vertical or side panels, it's light enough, and less cumbersome than other polishers that with a strong grip you can apply waxes and sealants using only one hand, this speeds things up since you don't have to lower yourself down to be comfortable using both hands and you can use the other hand to balance yourself by holding strategic places on the car.

If you were to apply paste waxes by machine it leaves one hand able to hold either the wax out of the jar.

:)

CleanGene
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Hold on to your PC, its a versatile tool, you can buy attachments (Brushes) I use them to clean carpet, floor mats and trust me, it will save you allot of time, unless you have a better method.

:iagree:

VISITOR
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
i don't know why some people feel the need to want to ditch the PC after they get the Flex. with the variety of different products these days for DA, you can do quite a bit with it...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
i don't know why some people feel the need to want to ditch the PC after they get the Flex. with the variety of different products these days for DA, you can do quite a bit with it...
I agree. Get some 4" pads to use with your PC.

Sent using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
03-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I like using 3.5" pads with my pc for tight areas, especially headlight correction.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I like using 3.5" pads with my pc for tight areas, especially headlight correction.
Where do u buy 3.5" pads?

Sent using Tapatalk

Joe@Superior Shine
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I need six more PCs. Anyone looking to dump theirs please let me know.

termigator
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I got the Flex a while back, but I still use my PC for applying liquid waxes, sealants and glazes. I also have the 4" plate for polishing tight areas, like everybody else. If my PC goes bad, I'll probably still get another one because it's actually very convenient to have both.:dblthumb2:

gibbsj87
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM

What carpet attachment do you speek of. I still cannot find it.

TLMitchell
04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Where do u buy 3.5" pads?

I'm thinking the 3Ms AG sells are 3.5 although they're listed as 3", they're definitely larger than the GG 3"ers. They also carry 3.5" PFW. Richard (Mr. Black Wow) Lin carries some orange and white LC pads on his site. Only place I've ever seen the smaller LC foam pads although they make everything in that size.

Wonder if anybody's tried the 3+" Meg's MF cutting pads on headlights yet?

TL

C. Charles Hahn
04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
What carpet attachment do you speek of. I still cannot find it.

Porter Cable 7424 & Ultimate Detailing Machine Carpet & Upholstery Brushes (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-brushes.html)