PDA

View Full Version : new rotary! now some questions!

Kelso
12-25-2006, 01:54 PM
well i guess this is the right forum for this, not soo sure... anyways, by request i received a new hitachi rotary for christmas. ive been using E2K pads on my PC and want to know if the rotary adapter and pads will fit a hitachi or not. i want to order pads tomorrow(as well as much other stuff) and i need to know if i can get edge pads or not.

man i cant wait, im gonna get some busted up fenders and hoods to play with before touching a real car:D

ryandamartini
12-25-2006, 02:00 PM
nice present :)

Yes, the rotary adapter should work for just fine.

Surfer
12-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Let me know how you like it, I'm worried about the whole paint issue, but honestly from talking with others as long as you keep it moving and are careful around thin areas (edges etc) then it's pretty easy. I want to grab one, which one did you get?

Kelso
12-25-2006, 02:40 PM
i got the Hitachi sp19va available on all the PBMA sites....i think this one was from pinnacle for the free shipping over 75. i have np pads yet but this is definately a very good machine just from messing with it a little bit. i think im going to opt for the Wave pads from edge to keep the heat down if i can. it does seem to be a safe machine in the right hands from what ive heard but of course i have to learn it properly.
also had a question of what types of products to use with it? should i still use xmt or what? ive got no idea really on that...

Al-53
12-25-2006, 02:52 PM
The pads for the PC work much better than the larger ones..you have more control....also you need the adapter for the Hitachi Edge 2K Drive Adapter 5/8" Thread.....as the PC one is a different size thread.....and is a male thread...

but using the PC size pad is great...you can use on both the PC and Rotary...and have better control of the machine...get in tighter spots...and maneuver better..

AL

flatstick
12-25-2006, 03:12 PM
i got the Hitachi sp19va available on all the PBMA sites....i think this one was from pinnacle for the free shipping over 75. i have np pads yet but this is definately a very good machine just from messing with it a little bit. i think im going to opt for the Wave pads from edge to keep the heat down if i can. it does seem to be a safe machine in the right hands from what ive heard but of course i have to learn it properly.
also had a question of what types of products to use with it? should i still use xmt or what? ive got no idea really on that...

Congrats on the new rotary. you are on your way to producing some excellent results. as a few people said the smaller pads are easier to control. not sure if you have any of the Optimum polishes but IMO they are extremely friendly to a new bee and the rotary. you do not have to worry about it drying out. it has a lot of lubricants that will assist you in the feeling of the machine gliding . my tip will be to tilt rear part of the the handle up or down ever so slightly when running it. this will make it go left and right on it's own. try this on the lowest setting on a scrap hood or a junker and you will have it down pat in no time. start on a flat panel first as the vertical ones are harder to learn on. just remember to let the machine do the work and do not try to muscle it. Happy Holidays :cheers:

Totoland Mach
12-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Well jump right in to the rotary! Get some Optimum Compound and get going. One thing I've learned from the BMW shop is to go slowly and work a small area (similar to a pc). You will actually see your results as you go with Optimum. It is excellent and doesn't dust like 3M.

If this old man can learn it, you can too!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/TotoPolishing545i.jpg

Holler if you have questions. That's what AG is all about.

Toto

sparkie
12-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Congrats on the new rotary, I got one too. Justin pointed me to the Edge wave kit. And I PM The Edge also, he also pointed me that way too. So Edge here I come.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1925_42267597
http://www.autogeek.net/edge-waffle-pads.html

justin_murphy
12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
The pads for the PC work much better than the larger ones..you have more control....also you need the adapter for the Hitachi Edge 2K Drive Adapter 5/8" Thread.....as the PC one is a different size thread.....and is a male thread...

but using the PC size pad is great...you can use on both the PC and Rotary...and have better control of the machine...get in tighter spots...and maneuver better..

AL

I totally agree. I too am using my EDGE pads with my rotary and love it. Just get the adapter and youre set. You might want to get some 8's later for larger panels.

ehuth1
12-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Justin I got 2 of those chicago's off a liquidation store on ebay. Did the edge adapter bolt right in or did I miss something?