PDA

View Full Version : Is pre-wash required before using Pinnacle?

CRCosta
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I recently ordered the Pinnacle Souveran Sizzling Shine Kit for my 2004 Le Mans Blue Corvette. I have been using another product line and have switched to Pinnacle in order to combat some water spots. Do I need to remove the other product before using the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo or can I start with the Bodywork Shampoo?

Spicy McHaggis
03-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Remove what other product? Like another wax or sealant? You don't need to, but if you want to use only the Pinnacle stuff and not have any of the old stuff left on the car it would be a good idea to strip the old LSP. You can do this many ways. There is a lot of information about stripping waxes here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/33118-stripping-wax-necessary.html

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Ha, I bet I can guess that water-spotting product that is popular with Corvette owners. IMO you don't have to remove that product before you put your Pinnacle on, but I'd think about doing something about the water spots first, dig?

trhland
03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
pinnacle??? is this a good line of products? i never heard of them .

trhland
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
heehee. im on most forums and all i talk about is pinnacle. members are probably sick of me mentioning the line. lol but i cant help myself..

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I just looked at the contents of that kit--go ahead and wash with the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo, and then use the Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, that will remove your Zai...I mean, that other product. Hopefully it will take your water spots out, too.

CRCosta
03-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, you are correct about the Zaino. How did you know?

CRCosta
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I've read some of your other posts so I figured you were just messing with me.

trhland
03-02-2011, 10:00 AM
wash/ use the precleaner then wax!!! i will love pinnacle!!! good luck enjoy:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
There's allot of good tips here.

It really depends on how long the "other" product has been there. All applied product begin to degrade naturally and if several months have expired then there is more than likely very little of the "other" products left.

Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo simply washes the exterior surface. You won't need to strip anything if using a different car wash.

Wash
Clay
Wipe
Protect

ShaunD
03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I would go along the lines of what Mr. Phillips posted in the thread "Stripping the wax? Necessary?" If you have been layering the wax for a while and have not removed said layers in a while, I would go with a mild cleaner like adding some Dawn to your car shampoo/soap and then use the Pinnacle Paint Works Cleansing Lotion; since you are going to start using the Pinnacle line of products exclusively. If you are going to be working on removing water spots as well preparing the paint for wax/sealant then a light polish would suffice as Mike said. If you just want to remove the previous product and get right into using the new product then IMO using a mild cleaner soap that will break down a wax would maybe be more ideal for you case. It all depends on how delicate you want to to be to your paint and trim(you may not want to remove the protectant from you plastic/rubber at this time), and how clean your car is already. The PPCL is intended to remove and previous product and any light marring, and may, or not, remove water spots depending if they have going through your LSP. I would go with the recommended test spot with a wash of your choice to remove the prev LSP, and a test spot using a light polish or paint cleansing lotion and see which gives you a warm and fuzzy result.

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, you are correct about the Zaino. How did you know?

I've read some of your other posts so I figured you were just messing with me.

Simple deduction, dear Watson...Corvettes and waterspots...equals Zaino! Sal has quite a following in the Corvette world and Zaino beads insanely, hence leading to spotting problems. So I wasn't messing with you. Depending on what is causing your water spots switching to a new product may not solve your problem.

CRCosta
03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
My apology. The "messing with me" reply was meant for trhland but I didn't get it under his reply. My car recently got sprayed by the sprinkler system at work and I came out to huge water spots on my trunk. Needless to say I was very upset.

Setec Astronomy
03-04-2011, 08:53 AM
No apology necessary. I'm not sure the contents of your kit will be up to removing hard water spots.

CRCosta
03-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I have read Mike's posting for How to Remove Sprinkler Water Spots and I may need to move up to the Advanced Finishing Polish. I am hoping that the Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will be enough but I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the advice.