PDA

View Full Version : Gravity feed for my water tank??

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a Stanley 1.4 gpm electric pressure washer. I bought a water pump...assuming I was going to need one. The more I think about it. Wouldn't the pressure of the water itself be enough to push water through the hose, and to the pw?

I will have a 100 gallon tank. If I mount the outgoing nozzle on the bottom, open the cap on the top...wouldn't that be enough pressure to feed my PW?

Perfections
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Some pressure washer like a kranzle will do what your asking some won't work properly, your's from what I can find quickly won't work like that but if you have the owners manual just see what it recommends, sorry I couldn't find more info

Kristopher1129
02-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Well, I do have a pump. So if I need it, I got it. I wasn't able to find much info on it either.

Perfections
02-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I know with the pump it will unless that water pump is made for a 10 gallon fish tank :)

Kristopher1129
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
I know with the pump it will unless that water pump is made for a 10 gallon fish tank :)

Nope, it's a solid pump. Don't remember all the stats off the top of my head. But it pumps much more than 1.4 gpm, ha. I made sure of that. Got it at Home Depot, costed me about $80.

My only concern. Is that what happens when it does pump more water than needed? I mean is the pump gonna stop if the water comes to a hault? I just picture water that keeps coming and coming, leaking everywhere, or swelling my hose.

Perfections
02-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Nope, it's a solid pump. Don't remember all the stats off the top of my head. But it pumps much more than 1.4 gpm, ha. I made sure of that. Got it at Home Depot, costed me about $80.

My only concern. Is that what happens when it does pump more water than needed? I mean is the pump gonna stop if the water comes to a hault? I just picture water that keeps coming and coming, leaking everywhere, or swelling my hose.

80 bucks its probably around 30+ gpm, when I had mine I never had any problems, but I had a gas powered pressure washer, I'd say hook it up turn on the pump, with the pressure washer off just the hose hooked up and see if anything leaks or looks like it's going to explode! Lol

Kristopher1129
03-01-2011, 12:10 AM
80 bucks its probably around 30+ gpm, when I had mine I never had any problems, but I had a gas powered pressure washer, I'd say hook it up turn on the pump, with the pressure washer off just the hose hooked up and see if anything leaks or looks like it's going to explode! Lol

Yeah, I think it is a 30 gpm. Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks man! :props:

scottphys
03-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Remember water seeks its own level. Water will flow only if the end of the hose is lower than the top level of water in the tank. The bigger the difference in height (top of water level in tank relative to the end of the hose) the more water pressure you will have.
So if your car top is higher than the level of the water in the tank, you get no flow.

I'd get a pump.

Kristopher1129
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Remember water seeks its own level. Water will flow only if the end of the hose is lower than the top level of water in the tank. The bigger the difference in height (top of water level in tank relative to the end of the hose) the more water pressure you will have.
So if your car top is higher than the level of the water in the tank, you get no flow.

I'd get a pump.

Yeah, I hear ya. The water tank would be in the van, and the PW would be ground level. I think it would get some pressure...but probably not quite enough. Especially if the water level gets low.

I already have a pump. Just figured I'd ask cause maybe I could have returned it. But, it seems like the pump is the way to go from what you guys are saying. I originally felt this way to begin with. But somebody I spoke with recently had me under the impression I wouldn't need a pump.

WindyCity
03-01-2011, 08:04 AM
You need to return the pump and get an "on demand" pump. On demand means when you squeeze the trigger the pump turns on when you stop flowing water the pump shuts off. My pump is from northern tools (I think it is made by sureflo) and it is a 12v pump so it is made for automotive and RV use, making it real easy to hook up for mobile detailing.

The good thing about having a pump is if your pressure washer craps out you have great water pressure from just the hose so you can wash a car traditionally just like at home or a shop!

Good luck

SeaJay's
03-01-2011, 08:09 AM
You need to return the pump and get an "on demand" pump. On demand means when you squeeze the trigger the pump turns on when you stop flowing water the pump shuts off. My pump is from northern tools (I think it is made by sureflo) and it is a 12v pump so it is made for automotive and RV use, making it real easy to hook up for mobile detailing.

Good luck

That was my thoughts exactly. You don't want a pump that will constantly pump when it's on.

Kristopher1129
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM

The good thing about having a pump is if your pressure washer craps out you have great water pressure from just the hose so you can wash a car traditionally just like at home or a shop!

Good luck

Ahhhhh very nice info. I didn't even think about that. That sounds more like what I need. On Demand pump sounds like it will fix my worry. Thanks man!! :props:

Executive Detail
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Ahhhhh very nice info. I didn't even think about that. That sounds more like what I need. On Demand pump sounds like it will fix my worry. Thanks man!! :props:

Since I have gone through this myself with my first set-up years ago, if the pump on the pressure washer is direct-driven, you may need another pump to help feed the water to it to maintain higher pressure. If the pump on the pressure washer is gear-driven, and with the help of gravity, the pressure washer feeds itself. To my knowledge, a gear-driven pump has a lot more "pull" then the other.

On mine, I have it setup so that water returns back to the tank when the p-w gun is not in use. I can actually allow the p-w to run all day without burning up the pump.

Kristopher1129
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Since I have gone through this myself with my first set-up years ago, if the pump on the pressure washer is direct-driven, you may need another pump to help feed the water to it to maintain higher pressure. If the pump on the pressure washer is gear-driven, and with the help of gravity, the pressure washer feeds itself. To my knowledge, a gear-driven pump has a lot more "pull" then the other.

On mine, I have it setup so that water returns back to the tank when the p-w gun is not in use. I can actually allow the p-w to run all day without burning up the pump.

How did you set it up that way??

Executive Detail
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a hose from the unloader on the p-w running to the top of the tank. When I get home, I'll take pics and post them. It's easy to do. The place I bought my p-w from, explained how to do it. I'll be sure to post later...maybe make a short video showing how it works.