PDA

View Full Version : Stripping the wax? Necessary?

Pages : [1] 2

93fox
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
So i received my very first purchase from Autogeek and i am very satisfied! I got myself some collinite 845 and would like to apply it to my car! But my car currently has Autogylm HD wax. Do i need to remove it and then put 845 on top or just put it on top of the HD Wax? I have a product called "wax & grease remover" that i use when im about to paint a car, it removes everything n cleans it all! Should i use this to remove the wax and then apply 845? Im really lost here since its the first time ever coming across this situation! Any help will be very much appreciated!

Mike Phillips
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
You can do it a couple of different ways, there's a lot of opinions on which way is best.

I'm a fan of machine polishing with a light finishing polish, this will effectively remove all the old wax, clean the paint so it's smooth, clear and clean and leave it ready for wax.

You could also do this by hand with a paint cleaner.

Both of the above approaches will enhance the appearance of the paint because both steps make the paint look good in and of themselves. The wax will just build on these results.

Chemically stripping doesn't tend to make the paint clear and glossy, in fact it will tend to dull it but you really only see the dulling effect on black or other dark colors. The wax will restore clarity to any dulling that takes place.

Others like to strip the paint with some other approach, Detergent wash, IPA, MS, etc.

What are you working on?

:)

Kristopher1129
02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Strip it! That way you'll start on a clean slate. Then you can really see your new wax in action. Not only that, it will help your wax stick to the paint much easier. Wouldn't hurt to follow the wax remover with an ONR type product. Remover tends to leave paint hazy.

I don't think it's necessary if down the road you wanted to add another coat of wax. But it's good to do if you're trying a new product. That way you'll get a good clean test, and you can compare the two. :xyxthumbs:

fancyfootwork
02-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I can't even comment because Mike already dominated everyone elses opinions.

Wendell Jarvis
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
You can do it a couple of different ways, there's a lot of opinions on which way is best.

I'm a fan of machine polishing with a light finishing polish, this will effectively remove all the old wax, clean the paint so it's smooth, clear and clean and leave it ready for wax.

Both of the above approaches will enhance the appearance of the paint because both steps make the paint look good in and of themselves. The wax will just build on these results.

Chemically stripping doesn't tend to make the paint clear and glossy, in fact it will tend to dull it but you really only see the dulling effect on black or other dark colors. The wax will restore clarity to any dulling that takes place.

Others like to strip the paint with some other approach, Detergent wash, IPA, MS, etc.

What are you working on?

:dblthumb2: there is your answer,,,,simple and yet effective....I personally like a light polish...Sonax makes a great paint cleaner.

Nitro24
02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I can't even comment because Mike already dominated everyone elses opinions.

So true, lol. He's quite the expert...:xyxthumbs:

93fox
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM

What are you working on?

Its a 2008 black mustang! Ive wetsanded it to remove all the orange peel and did m105/m205/po85rd! So im guessing that going over with it with PO85rd is what you meant? And then apply the wax?

Rsurfer
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Its a 2008 black mustang! Ive wetsanded it to remove all the orange peel and did m105/m205/po85rd! So im guessing that going over with it with PO85rd is what you meant? And then apply the wax?
Is this a re-paint or oem? If oem did you use a ptg after wet sanding?

93fox
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Is this a re-paint or oem? If oem did you use a ptg after wet sanding?

Its a repaint, pretty much all they did was shoot some base and a high end dollar shiny clear!

mcpp66
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM

I did this once with a PC, gray LC pads, and 85rd and liked doing it this way. However I tend to worry about making the clear too thin by repeatedly doing this, regardless of how gentle the gray pads and 85rd are. Someone please tell me that I should never have to worry about making the clear too thin with these tools (even my soft clear coat) because I like being able to use a very fine polish to enhance the gloss and strip wax at the same time.

feslope
02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
my car currently has Autogylm HD wax. Do i need to remove it and then put 845 on top or just put it on top of the HD Wax? Maybe not. Mike always tells us two things, use the least aggressive approach and do a test spot. In this case try your wax on a test spot, if you are happy with the results wax the rest of the car, if not do your polish step, Use of a mild clay might not be a bad idea either.

Rsurfer
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
I did this once with a PC, gray LC pads, and 85rd and liked doing it this way. However I tend to worry about making the clear too thin by repeatedly doing this, regardless of how gentle the gray pads and 85rd are. Someone please tell me that I should never have to worry about making the clear too thin with these tools (even my soft clear coat) because I like being able to use a very fine polish to enhance the gloss and strip wax at the same time.
85rd has very little cut, so you should not have a problem.

James K
02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Before I apply any new LSP I like to remove the old one. I do this either with a fine polish if the car needs it, or a paint cleaner. I like using Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. That is just my way of doing things. Is it right or wrong? Neither. It's whatever you like to do.

mcpp66
02-28-2011, 11:11 PM
85rd has very little cut, so you should not have a problem.

But it does have cut and factory paint is thin. Eventually something's gotta give, right?

Rsurfer
02-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Before I apply any new LSP I like to remove the old one. I do this either with a fine polish if the car needs it, or a paint cleaner. I like using Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. That is just my way of doing things. Is it right or wrong? Neither. It's whatever you like to do.
:iagree:Love PPCL:xyxthumbs: