PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sheepskin wash mitts

05RLS2
02-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Yesterday I used one of my new sheepskin wash mitts while washing. After I was done washing the mitt out, I grabbed it by the thumb and fingers pockets and slung it back and forth to get the excess water off before putting it up to dry. Well during the slinging it fell out of my hand and landed in the yard. I washed what I could off of it, but I am conserned that there's dirt embeeded in the mitt that I cannot see. I hate to throw it out after only one use, and I'd like to be able to clean it if possible. What's a good guaranteeed way to get sheepskin washmitts completely clean without ripping it up to pieces?

mcpp66
02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
This is why I switched to the noodle microfiber mitts. I just throw them in the wash and never have to worry about that. You could try one of those metal pet combs and brush it out. I'm not sure what else you could do other than that and running water.

PPLd
02-28-2011, 02:45 AM
This is why I switched to the noodle microfiber mitts. I just throw them in the wash and never have to worry about that. You could try one of those metal pet combs and brush it out. I'm not sure what else you could do other than that and running water.

I used the same Meguiar's microfiber wash mitt for 2 years and it is still white and soft like brand new. After I wash the car, just throw them into the washing machine.

Mike Phillips
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
What's a good guaranteed way to get sheepskin wash mitts completely clean without ripping it up to pieces?

I don't think there is a guaranteed method for cleaning the fibers of a sheepskin wash mitt, you can try filling a bucket with water and just using your hands, swish it around, maybe rub it against a Grit Guard Insert and any other means you can think of to remove any embedded contaminants.

If you understand how long it takes to remove scratches out of the clearcoat finish of your car and you're in doubt as to the safety of using this mitt on flawless paint then it might be better to delegate this mitt to fender lips, lower panels, bumpers, etc. and get a new mitt for the major painted panels.

You could also use it on a car less important or give it to one of the neighbors that doesn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html)

This is a Squirrel
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch011.jpg

These are Swirls
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/CobwebSwirls001.jpg

:)

SeaJay's
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I did the same thing to mine. Wasn't my first time using it probably my 4th or 5th time. But landed in the yard and was covered in dirt. I filled up my wash bucket and rubbed it against the grit guard and it got most of the debris out. However, I was never convinced that there wasn't any dirt or anything in it, so like Mike said I dedicated it to fender lips.

05RLS2
03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I guess this one will be going to the less dedicated mitt pile then. I always though the genuine sheepskin mitts were supposed the release dirt from them easier than any other sort of wash media? That's the reasoning why I have always used them. Kinda stinks that my new mitt is no good for major wash duty, butI guess using a new one is a lot easier than polishing for several hours becuase of a mitt that had dirt loged in it

Dr Oldz
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
You can try cleaning it very good then do an extensive "CD scatch test" Just a suggestion......

Lasthope05
03-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I would do the cd test first to see if there is any dirt left in there. If it doesnt pass you can get it out with some hair conditioner and a comb. Apply the conditioner to the mitt and place it in a bucket of water. Then grab the comb and brush the mitt to remove any dirt or debris. The conditioner acts as a lubricant when submersed in water and brushed with a comb untangles the wool and releases any dirt. Then just wash with dish detergent to remove the silicones from the conditioner. I've done this quite a few times and it works really well.