PDA

View Full Version : Restored headlights, but starting to get cloudiness again!

Pages : [1] 2

Crosby87
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I had my headlights restored professionally about 8 months ago. They looked great, but there appears to be some cloudiness coming back....looks like it is on the inside. Below is a pic. Any easy way to fix this? Also, any product to prevent this in the future? Thanks!

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Glock1313/IMG_5279_3.jpg

Crosby87
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Just a note as well...there doesn't seem to be any damage from rocks, etc on the exterior yet. The cloudiness just seems to be around the edges and and a few other areas.

A.P.A.D.
02-27-2011, 10:00 PM
was there a sealant put on it when it was professionally restored?

Lasthope05
02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
They need to be sealed with a clear coat. Most professional who "restore" just do a cut and buff on the lens to remove oxidation or sand and them buff to remove a damaged headlight coating. A true restoration is sanding the headlights down and applying a clear urethane coating over it instead of buffing.

While buffing will bring back the clarity, UV damage from the sun will just continue to degrade and haze the headlight lenses in the future. A wax/sealant will only help to slightly delay its effects.

Find someone in your area that offers this service or do it yourself.

Crosby87
02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
They need to be sealed with a clear coat. Most professional who "restore" just do a cut and buff on the lens to remove oxidation or sand and them buff to remove a damaged headlight coating. A true restoration is sanding the headlights down and applying a clear urethane coating over it instead of buffing.

While buffing will bring back the clarity, UV damage from the sun will just continue to degrade and haze the headlight lenses in the future. A wax/sealant will only help to slightly delay its effects.

Find someone in your area that offers this service or do it yourself.

Ok, that makes sense. How much does the clearcoat process usually cost, ballpark? What type of place usually does this? Thanks for all the input guys!

Kristopher1129
02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Ok, that makes sense. How much does the clearcoat process usually cost, ballpark? What type of place usually does this? Thanks for all the input guys!

You can do it on your own easily. I use a mixture of Minwax indoor/outdoor gloss urethane mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. Just dab a shop towel into the mixture, spread evenly, then let it cure for a few hours. You can buy both products at Home Depot.

This is after your headlights have been restored again of course. :xyxthumbs:

Lasthope05
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM

With that you are going to have to go around asking what type of process they do with headlight restorations or you could go to a body shop and have them clearcoat them. The price really dependent upon your area, but I charge $80 for headlight restorations.

PAR Detailing
02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
I use opti coat on my headlight restorations. I have had good success so far with it. But everyone is right, if you dont put something permanent or very long lasting they will fade again in a relatively short period of time.

BobbyG
02-28-2011, 08:05 AM

You can easily do this yourself or have it done, it's not rocket science.

Go to your local paint store and get yourself a small can of polyurethane and a 1" brush. You can also purchase polyurethane as an aerosol spray.

Clean the headlight lens
Wipe with alcohol
Apply polyurethane coating

Total Cost: $10.00

Tom Weed
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
You can easily do this yourself or have it done, it's not rocket science.

Go to your local paint store and get yourself a small can of polyurethane and a 1" brush. You can also purchase polyurethane as an aerosol spray.

Clean the headlight lens
Wipe with alcohol
Apply polyurethane coating
Total Cost: $10.00

Hey Bobby,
Do you just brush on the polyurethane straight or use Pentrol with it to take out any brush marks and level or does it level okay by it's self? I'd be interested in using this. Don't want to use the aerosol because of overspray.

Thanks
Tom

Crosby87
02-28-2011, 09:31 AM
So what causes the cloudiness on the inside exactly? Also, can this just be cleaned off with some basic cleaner or does it need to be buffed out?

Tom Weed
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Unless somene else has a way they do it, I dont think there's much you can do if it's inside the lens without somehow getting it apart? When I've seen them cloud from the inside it's usually moisture related.

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
So what causes the cloudiness on the inside exactly? Also, can this just be cleaned off with some basic cleaner or does it need to be buffed out?

It's probably not on the inside, it just appears that way. Of course, I can't be sure from over the internet, but it can be tricky to tell, and usually it's the outside even if it looks like the inside...if that made any sense.

I use opti coat on my headlight restorations. I have had good success so far with it. But everyone is right, if you dont put something permanent or very long lasting they will fade again in a relatively short period of time.

Bingo...sounds like a perfect application for the new retail Opti-Coat for the "rest" of us.

BobbyG
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Generally, cloudiness inside the lens is caused by moisture and condensation forming from a leak somewhere. The housing could be cracked or something else that's allowing moisture to enter.

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Generally, cloudiness inside the lens is caused by moisture and condensation forming from a leak somewhere. The housing could be cracked or something else that's allowing moisture to enter.

Yeah but...aren't headlights vented? When I got my car it had been on the dealer lot for a LONG time and I had condensation in there which went away once I started using the headlights regularly. I think there's some thermal issues which would require the housing to not be tightly sealed.