PDA

View Full Version : Can anything clean these wheels?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

mc4nam
02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I have tried Optimum Power Clean, Surf City Road Trip, Dawn and elbow grease, goo gone.

It looks like the brake dust or something has baked into the clear or something? These are Sequoia wheels in Hyper Silver.

Maybe P21s finish restorer and wheel cleaner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2s18w2r.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/e8vg8z.jpg

Rsurfer
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Meg's Wheel Brightner will get that off.

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I see this is your first post so....:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/WheelBrightener.jpg

Meguiars Wheel Brightener is a professional grade wheel cleaner for factory coated wheels! Meguiars wheel cleaner and brightener makes coated wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-wheel-brightener.html)

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner

P21S WHEEL CLEANERS gel and regular (http://www.autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html)

mc4nam
02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks. So I see 2 votes for Megs Wheel brightener. I have read about it and it seems pretty potent! Does it strip the clear? Should I dilute 4-1 even when the damage is this extreme? Will this stuff melt the plastic center cap? This is better than the p21s choices? Megs is less expensive!

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
While noted to be a strong solution it will not strip the clear-coat or melt plastic.

I use it diluted to a 4:1 ratio and it's never failed me. Do not this on non-coated wheels..

mc4nam
02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
While noted to be a strong solution it will not strip the clear-coat or melt plastic.

I use it diluted to a 4:1 ratio and it's never failed me. Do not this on non-coated wheels..

Thanks! I will get the Megs and report back. Hopefully with a new clean picture of the wheels!

Rsurfer
02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks! I will get the Megs and report back. Hopefully with a new clean picture of the wheels!
Be careful handling Wheel Brightner as it's acid based.

Grizzly
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I think its staying there to be honest.

But you never know.

weavers
02-27-2011, 07:06 PM
try a clay. I had a wheel with rust like stains on it and no amount of elbow grease, super degreaser or brushes would take it off, but a clay bar did. It was an alloy clear coat wheel, the rear wheels were worst, maybe because of the brake drums. you could also try steel wool #0000.

mc4nam
02-27-2011, 08:16 PM
try a clay. I had a wheel with rust like stains on it and no amount of elbow grease, super degreaser or brushes would take it off, but a clay bar did. It was an alloy clear coat wheel, the rear wheels were worst, maybe because of the brake drums. you could also try steel wool #0000.

So I went out and tried some clay. I had a Zainos Z1 clay bar. It didn't do anything to any of it. I clayed one spot for about 5 minutes. Didn't budge the stuff! Would that mean other cleaners wont work? I would think the acidic properties in the Megs, Sonax Full Effect, and P21s gel would be stronger than clay?

I am just an individual and will gladly purchase all 3 of these products if they will work, but I don't want to be stuck with this stuff if it doesn't.

Is the Megs the strongest/best of the 3 products?

Do any of you guys have a detail shop in the Plano/Frisco/Richardson/Far North Dallas, TX area that would let me just try a little of the Megs (or any of the 3 products, or anything for that matter!) before I buy it? :)

I do not want to spend too much trying to clean because I could trade these wheels and $200 for a set of chrome FJ cruiser wheels. But, I do like these Sequoia wheels better on my Tacoma.

Thanks

Scott DeBrun
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Griots makes a clay specifically for wheels plus you may want to try SSG beyond steel wheel cleaner it's really good. Good luck.

DantheMan
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Just buy the wheel brightener... Its really cheap, very economical, and super effective. Without a doubt worth the $15 or whatever it is now even if you only use it this one time. Nice to have on hand for those sticky situations.

Matt
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
While I agree that the wheel brightener will certainly handle the situation, u need to be careful when handling it as the type of acid used can cause slow but permanent damage to internal organs and bones. I would advise on wearing goggles, a respirator and LONG chemical/ acid resistant gloves. If you do a quick google search of the dangers of wheel brightener, you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

mc4nam
02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
While I agree that the wheel brightener will certainly handle the situation, u need to be careful when handling it as the type of acid used can cause slow but permanent damage to internal organs and bones. I would advise on wearing goggles, a respirator and LONG chemical/ acid resistant gloves. If you do a quick google search of the dangers of wheel brightener, you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

Wow! is it really this dangerous? I was planning on wearing rubber gloves, a long sleeve shirt and some eye protection. Also, plan on being extremely careful. Do I really need a respirator?

Kristopher1129
02-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I've seen those rims many times. For whatever reason they always have flaws in the finish. Don't know why this is.

They always look like they've been sprayed silver over black primer with just one lazy coat of paint. It's almost like the black is peaking through in all kinds of places. This may be exactly what it is...but who knows. I've never gotten it off, and I've tried acid. It does nothing. I've also tried clay...still nothing.

I've just learned to accept that the factory dropped the ball on these rims.