PDA

View Full Version : Noob to ONR! help!!

93fox
02-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive heard alot of people here talk about optimum no rinse car wash! I will be buying some but have no clue on how it works and what to use! Do i need a mitt or a sponge? Or whats the best way tool to wash with onr? In the description it says to use a microfiber to towel to wash but can i use a mitt instead? Also, is rinsing required before starting or do i just go ahea and start washing? I know panel by panel has to be done but is theres a risking of scratching the paint by using onr?

James K
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't have ONR, but I do use the DP Rinseless. I use either a sheepskin mitt or a microfiber mitt to use it. I choose to spray off the car before washing just to help knock off any larger dirt particles. I was very skeptical of using rinseless washes, but after trying it, they are great. I don't use them all the time, just when necessary due things like living in barracks and not really having hose access.

As with anything, you always have a risk of scratching, but watching your technique minimizes it greatly.

93fox
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't have ONR, but I do use the DP Rinseless. I use either a sheepskin mitt or a microfiber mitt to use it. I choose to spray off the car before washing just to help knock off any larger dirt particles. I was very skeptical of using rinseless washes, but after trying it, they are great. I don't use them all the time, just when necessary due things like living in barracks and not really having hose access.

As with anything, you always have a risk of scratching, but watching your technique minimizes it greatly.

I ask this because i live in apartments and dont have acces to a hose to wash my whole car! So
I thought id give onr a try! Is it wax save?

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I use them both and they do a pretty good job but remember, your finish can't be too dirty. Mike Phillips did a great article on it that you might find helpful.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html

I use a wool mitt and rinse of off in the clean water then dunk it back in the washing solution. I was actually amazed at how well these work and I don't think their was anyone more skeptical than me..

Old Tiger
02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
I think there is a how-to on this. Optimum has a sponge mitt, Opti-Mitt that was designed for ONR. A plush MF is still preferred by many. You can use a mitt but make sure it is plush. I wouldnt use wool personally. I like the Opti-Mitt and a MF towel. I usually hose the car off first because I can. I often wash wheels traditional way, but many use ONR. If you use ONR for wheels, do them last. I am an odd ball. I prefer ONR to car wash and will do about 3 to 1 ONR over car wash. IMO it is safer if you hosed the car off than car wash and it adds more gloss too IMO.

Chris Thomas
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Read this and if you still have questions ask away.

ONR: The Definitive Thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/15836-onr-definitive-thread.html)

93fox
02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Read this and if you still have questions ask away.

ONR: The Definitive Thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/15836-onr-definitive-thread.html)

That pretty much sums all my questions!! Thanks for the link to that thread! I really appreciate it!

Chris Thomas
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
No problem...Thank you for your interest in Optimum. Let me know if you need any more help with our line.

dougaross
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Other alternatives to mitts, etc. are grout sponges from Lowes and Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponges. These both release dirt very easily.

weavers
02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I really like grout sponges at home depot. Cheap and last a long time. I cut them like the lake country sponges. Sponges are great because the clean very easily. I find that mf mitts and even lambs wool mits don't let go of dirt very well even when using a grit guard. Using a towel each time means dirty towels and they don't clean up to well.

Every system of washing a car has a risk of scratching up the paint. There are ways to reduce this risk of this. Anytime anything runs over the surface of a car it can scratch. Most people agree that a 2 bucket method with a leaf blower is best. I like 1 bucket onr+waffle weave towel. (to bothersome to go get the blower and electrical cord). Use straight lines when washing, waxing or dry, little pressure, try blot drying instead of dragging a heavy wet towel over the paint. Use two sponges, one for the top side of the car and one for the lower half, and another for wheels or brushes.

93fox
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
No problem...Thank you for your interest in Optimum. Let me know if you need any more help with our line.

hey Chris is it possible to put ONR in a spray bottle? like mix the appropriate ratio in a bucket and then pour it into a sprayer? or is it necessary to use the bucket and soak the wash mitt? i ask this because i live in apartments and dont really have access to much water so id rather carry downstairs a sprayer with ONR rather than a bucket! also i ask this becuase i see DP offers a waterless wash that you can use in a spray bottle!

Old Tiger
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I really like grout sponges at home depot. Cheap and last a long time. I cut them like the lake country sponges. Sponges are great because the clean very easily. I find that mf mitts and even lambs wool mits don't let go of dirt very well even when using a grit guard. Using a towel each time means dirty towels and they don't clean up to well.

Every system of washing a car has a risk of scratching up the paint. There are ways to reduce this risk of this. Anytime anything runs over the surface of a car it can scratch. Most people agree that a 2 bucket method with a leaf blower is best. I like 1 bucket onr+waffle weave towel. (to bothersome to go get the blower and electrical cord). Use straight lines when washing, waxing or dry, little pressure, try blot drying instead of dragging a heavy wet towel over the paint. Use two sponges, one for the top side of the car and one for the lower half, and another for wheels or brushes.
Very good advice!

Chris Thomas
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
hey Chris is it possible to put ONR in a spray bottle? like mix the appropriate ratio in a bucket and then pour it into a sprayer? or is it necessary to use the bucket and soak the wash mitt? i ask this because i live in apartments and dont really have access to much water so id rather carry downstairs a sprayer with ONR rather than a bucket! also i ask this becuase i see DP offers a waterless wash that you can use in a spray bottle!

Opti Clean is our waterless wash...sounds like that'd be better for you. Just make sure you use plenty of towels and change to a clean side when the towel gets dirty so you don't scratch since you cannot rinse like you could with a bucket.

TLMitchell
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

:dblthumb2:

I didn't like rinseless washes much until I started using a grout sponge. Lowe's ProLine gives me no reason to try others.

I like 1 bucket onr+waffle weave towel. (to bothersome to go get the blower and electrical cord). Use straight lines when washing, waxing or dry, little pressure, try blot drying instead of dragging a heavy wet towel over the paint. Use two sponges, one for the top side of the car and one for the lower half, and another for wheels or brushes.

You must be a genius! :props: (ummmm....that's exactly the way I do it, except I use two buckets)

TL

TLMitchell
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
....is it possible to put ONR in a spray bottle? like mix the appropriate ratio in a bucket and then pour it into a sprayer? or is it necessary to use the bucket and soak the wash mitt? i ask this because i live in apartments and dont really have access to much water so id rather carry downstairs a sprayer with ONR rather than a bucket! also i ask this becuase i see DP offers a waterless wash that you can use in a spray bottle!

I use a garden sprayer to saturate the car when it's salty, cruddy, winter-dirty. Then do a traditional two-bucket ONR wash. I've also used a small sprayer as a spray & wipe type of wash when it's very lightly dirty. As Chris mentioned, there's dedicated products for that but I've had no problems using ONR as a spray n wash.... on a white vehicle with medium hard paint. If you have a soft, black vehicle you may not like the results using that method.

TL