PDA

View Full Version : claying?

wylie
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
i am waiting for my new pc to come in this week to remove swirls on my truck. do you think i will be fine just to clay it today and get that step out of the way and save me some time later in the week, or is it best to wait and do it all at once?

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I see you have only a couple of posts so :welcome: To Autogeek Online

It sounds like your fairly new to detailing. The Porter Cable dual action polisher in route to you is a quality tool and will bring allot of satisfaction for years to come.

Claying today will not hurt at all but I suggest you give the surface a final check before you begin polishing.

dad07
02-27-2011, 09:13 AM
My sugestion would be to wait until your ready to start on it,doing it now would cut your time down,But doing it now you would subject the vehical to airborne contaminants that would have to removed again before the polishing starts.You want to work foward not backwards....does that make sense?

and welcome to AGO!

wylie
02-27-2011, 09:41 AM
thanks guys i figured it was best and will wait to do it right. was at the house today with some extra time and was gonna knock it out,guess i will start on the dreaded honey-do list

DARK HORSE
02-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Just remember claying will remove your LSP, other than that...

If you will be polishing in the next couple of weeks, you will be just fine claying now and polishing when you get your pc. Just be sure to rewash first.

galaxy
02-27-2011, 10:44 AM
You can clay now, but when you get ready to start any paint work in a couple days I suggest a full washing again to prep the surface and make sure nothings hanging around. So I guess it doesn't really save you any time.

slickooz
02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
You can clay now and then use waterless spray to clean each panel before using DA on your car.

killrflake
02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
My sugestion would be to wait until your ready to start on it,doing it now would cut your time down,But doing it now you would subject the vehical to airborne contaminants that would have to removed again before the polishing starts.You want to work foward not backwards....does that make sense?

and welcome to AGO!

I'll have to second Dad07.

jimmyjam
02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
i am waiting for my new pc to come in this week to remove swirls on my truck. do you think i will be fine just to clay it today and get that step out of the way and save me some time later in the week, or is it best to wait and do it all at once?

Hi Wylie,
Welcome to AGO!! You can clay now w/out issue, BUT as you will find later your confidence will grow with claying prior to any detailing session you begin. I knw
it's hard to wait/prolong any improvements, but you knw what they say good things comes to those that wait!:xyxthumbs:

wylie
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
i decided to wait and do it next weekend. got the whole day blocked off to make sure its done right. im new to this so i am gonna take my time and do it right.

billbillw
02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I suggest claying each panel just before you polish it. That way, you don't remove the LSP form the entire vehicle unless needed. If this is your first time using the PC, you might find the need to break the job up into 2 or 3 sessions.

I say this from recent experience. My car is taking much longer to polish out than I originally expected. I've done two separate 3 hour sessions and I've only done about 1/2 of the vehicle. Granted, its a black Mercedes with a fair amount of flaws in addition to the normal swirls, so perhaps the job is tougher than normal. I think you might find that if you take the time to tape off trim, and do a two step correction (compound followed by finishing polish), it might take you an hour to do each major panel. That doesn't include extra time for applying a wax/sealant.