PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Jobs

Pages : [1] 2

CriticalDetails
02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
When a potential customer calls you and says that there is vomit or other hazardous waste in their vehicle, do you take the job? What extra precautions do you take and how do you disinfect the area? Do you charge a hazardous waste fee for these type of jobs?

Porsche Pilot
02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I will absolutely refuse to work on a vomit car since I would be adding additional vomit to the equation if I smell it. Good question though. I would certainly entertain an supplemental fee for any biohazard type of stuff.

PAR Detailing
02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I just had this call a few weeks ago (first vomit call). A wing nut of a lady called because she lost her lunch in her car. After talking with her I knew this is not something I want to even touch with a 10 foot poll. And to make it even more clear cut for me... she was looking for a rediculous deal on it. She wanted lower than what I would do the smallest cleanest interior for.

Puke is one of those things where i dont need the money that bad.

CriticalDetails
02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I feel that if a customer does not even want to attempt to clean it up. Then they should pay a premium price for a detailer to do so.

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Call me savage like a viking!! I've done a few vomit jobs and I just use gloves and cheap towels to clean it up with APC before vacuuming the rest up into my wet dry vac. After the job I suck the wash water out of my bucket into the vac to rinse the vomit out and throw the towels and gloves away. I haven't charged extra for the vomit but it wasn't ten pounds of vomit either. My client tipped me as usual.

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a guy telling me that I have this Subaru to detail where someone had puked out the window and all over the side of the car. I saw the car and the vomit is long gone but the etching remains.

C. Charles Hahn
02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm with the "I refuse to work on that kind of mess" crew. I've done some pretty nasty stuff, but vomit and fecal matter are two things I will not work with for any reason whatsoever.

James K
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Not touching it. I would not even do it on my own car! I would send it to a detailer.

Bates Detailing
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
My philosophy... If I don't want to do it, I never say no..... but what I will do is give a ridiculous price to where they will either say no - or I am getting paid fat for a crappy job - may not like doing it, but I sure am getting compensated for it!:dblthumb2:

oldmodman
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm with the "I refuse to work on that kind of mess" crew. I've done some pretty nasty stuff, but vomit and fecal matter are two things I will not work with for any reason whatsoever.

Never had kids?

Matt
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I feel that if a customer does not even want to attempt to clean it up. Then they should pay a premium price for a detailer to do so.

:iagree:
While I'm not a detailer by trade, I feel EXACTLY the same way

Kristopher1129
02-27-2011, 12:50 AM
I've done a bunch of vomit jobs...not gonna lie, ha. Honestly, I don't mind them for many reasons. I've never gotten a freshly vomited mess. Meaning nobody has brought me a vomit accident without attempting to clean it themselves first. They usually clean up the bulk of it, then realize they need a detailer.

So, it's not usually that big of a deal...to me anyways. I just use some gloves, throw on a mask...and immediately nail the area with deodorizer. Before you know it, all you smell is your deodorizer anyways.

Plus, you can pretty much charge whatever you feel like charging. I've gotten upwards of $50 just to clean up one little section of carpet. It was a busy day, I didn't want to do it to begin with...so I said, sure....but it's gonna be $50. Guy came right down. Took me about 10 minutes to clean up. He even tipped me an extra $10 for doing it on the spot.

I just do a vinegar rinse on my extractor,and clean out the reservoir real good. Done deal. Besides, it usually creates a dedicated customer cause they know they can rely on you. If you can clean up vomit, and make the vehicle smell nice again....you've shown them your skills, ha. :dblthumb2:

C. Charles Hahn
02-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Never had kids?

Nope. Don't have kids, don't want kids.

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Not touching it. I would not even do it on my own car! I would send it to a detailer.

Now that's pretty funny!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BillE
02-27-2011, 07:55 AM
For FRESH barf, there are some janitorial products that absorb and desmell. Check out your local janitor supply outlet for it.

Vomit on the paint is nasty stuff. like said above...etching is a big problem. remember tummy fluid is hydrochloric acid!

My .02cents.

Bill