PDA

View Full Version : which polish for subaru paint?

2010WRX
02-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey guys, I know there are a lot of threads about polishes but I'm really confused about which polish to use. I have a 2010 Subaru WRX which has soft paint, so I need some input as to which polish to get. First off I was thinking about the megs 105/205 combo, but I think that may be overkill because my swirls are mild-moderate. I also thought about the Wolfgang total swirl remover and the finishing glaze combo. Lastly I was wondering about the menzerna products. I was looking at the power finish or the super-intensive polish and the super finish or the final polish. I'm looking to buy the polish for my spring detail, and last summer/ a few times this winter, I waxed the car with Natty's blue. What would be the best way to get the wax off? I've heard of using dish soap, but I've also heard of using a concentrated citrus wash. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I would either go with M-205 with a polish pad or go with PB SSR 2
Natty's isn't that durable so it will come off when you clay the car. Will you be polishing by hand or by machine and if by machine, which machine do you have?
Welcome to the site!

LegacyGT
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I use Menzerna SIP and Nano Polish on my subie, they work wonderfully on the LC hydro-tech pads. For the spring detail I would suggest SIP on the cyan pad followed by either nano or power finish on tangerine.

Edit, and since this is your first post, :welcome:

2010WRX
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys I'm loving this forum, a lot of good info. Anyways, I have a porter cable 7424. I have some Megs nxt under the natty's blue. Do you guys think the nxt is still there? I haven't used the nxt since the end of summer, and I always kept a good amount of natty's over it. Also, what sealants do you guys recommend after the paint correction?

Also, Tuscarora dave, would you follow up the ssr 2 with any type of finishing polish?

LegacyGT
02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
for sealants, I like Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Menzerna Power Lock, and Black Fire are also very popular.

rwright
02-26-2011, 11:16 PM
I just polished an older Outback in October using M105/M205 and it turned out just fine. Since you are working on a newer model you should be fine with Ultimate Compound or even M205 depending on pad choice. Menzerna or Wolfgang Twins should get the job done as well. Maybe try Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish? So many choices...

This is after just Meguiar's M105 on a 5.5" low profile cyan Lake Country Hydro Tech pad:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Outback_-_M105.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/28375)

HoosierDaddy
11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you for this thread !

Anyone else have any Subaru lessons to share ?
I just bought a 2008 Outback in Newport Blue pearl.

Looks like the wash boys at the stealership used a green scratch pad or steel wool in some spots along the leading edge of the hood to remove the bugs or whatever. They were nice enough to mar some of the chrome strip just below the hood while they were at it too. :mad:

I spot tested with a little Machine polish 3 last night , not enough action there. Will move to 205 or 105 next.
I can't feel it in the paint with my finger nail , but it looks pretty nasty. The MP3 took the haze away , but the bigger marks are still there. :(

Once it's cleaned up , I get to try the freebie Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant sample I just got !! :coolgleam:

Kristopher1129
11-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I've found 205 to work wonders on Subaru paint. Depending on what you want for results...205 as a one step will work really well.

Subaru paint is soft IMO. I always find it very easy to correct, but tough to keep it correct.

:welcome:

fech
11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I've found 205 to work wonders on Subaru paint. Depending on what you want for results...205 as a one step will work really well.

Subaru paint is soft IMO. I always find it very easy to correct, but tough to keep it correct.

:welcome:
:iagree: My subaru is almost impossible to keep looking scratch free. But when you get it there, it is nice! I use Menzerna sip and nano on it and it seems to work fine. You just need to find the right pads. Someone on another post used ht cyan and tangerine pads and they seemed to work great with the menzerna on the subaru

Da Fats
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
My friend has a late model subaru and I found that optimum finish polish old formula on a grey lc ccs with rotary was enough to remove all the dealer induced holograms and swirl. For the slightly tougher stuff hyper polish spray and white worked great.... I'd venture to.say unless its bad off you can avoid heavy compounds
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk