PDA

View Full Version : DP Poli Coat doesn't need an alcohol pre wipe??

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I just read the description to this stuff. Never used it before. But I've been using the Wolfgang DGPS and really like it. But I always do an alcohol or mineral spirits wipe down before application.

After reading the description on Poli Coat...they claim you don't need a pre wipe. Just curious if there's some people who can back up that statement? I've always found sealant and wax to stick better with a pre wipe. But, if I don't have to...that would be cool, ha.

embolism
02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Do it both ways on half your hood and test it. It's supposed to have pre cleaners to help it bond but if you want to add the extra step it couldn't hurt, just more time detailing for you (which may or may not be a bad thing). Only way to really know is to test.

SeaJay's
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
As long as your starting with a clean panel that has no oils or anything left on it you don't need to do the pre-wipe. I typically always do an IPA wipe down but I have applied this twice without doing an IPA wipe down first (experimenting on my mothers car and gf's car) and there were no issues with the sealant bonding or it lasting.

The WG sealant I think is a better sealant but the Poli-coat is definitely great for the price and the durability of it is pretty good.

Have you tried the Menzerna Power Lock? That stuff is awesome. It's what I currently use if I'm laying down a sealant. But it's on the pricier side.

BobbyG
02-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm with Jason on this as well. :props:

Ensuring that a panel or surface is clean will never hurt however the opposite can cause problems. If for nothing else than peace of mind I make a wipe down part of my routine.

Naturally if the instructions say NOT to use alcohol before applying this product then don't.

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
That's kinda how I saw it. It can't hurt to do a wipe down. My thing is when my shop gets really busy...it would definitely be a plus to not have to do a wipe down. They seem to really push the fact that it doesn't need a wipe down to stick well to the paint.

I may just buy one of the 32 oz. bottles because it's BOGO. Cause for me, it's fair priced...and I could use it on a lot of customer vehicles. I get an extra $39 every time I lay sealant down anyways. So price isn't really the issue...it's more about ease of use. That's why I asked cause they really seem to promote the ease of use.

I do want to try Power Lock though. I've read a lot of good things about it. Is their a sample of that available??

SeaJay's
02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
That's kinda how I saw it. It can't hurt to do a wipe down. My thing is when my shop gets really busy...it would definitely be a plus to not have to do a wipe down. They seem to really push the fact that it doesn't need a wipe down to stick well to the paint.

I may just buy one of the 32 oz. bottles because it's BOGO. Cause for me, it's fair priced...and I could use it on a lot of customer vehicles. I get an extra $39 every time I lay sealant down anyways. So price isn't really the issue...it's more about ease of use. That's why I asked cause they really seem to promote the ease of use.

I do want to try Power Lock though. I've read a lot of good things about it. Is their a sample of that available??

Unfortunately, they don't have samples of the Power Lock. I do have some though, so if you'd like I can come by your shop one day or I can mail some to you so you can try it out.

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately, they don't have samples of the Power Lock. I do have some though, so if you'd like I can come by your shop one day or I can mail some to you so you can try it out.

I'll prolly just buy some then, haha. I've heard nothing but good things about it...I know I'll like it. I can use it for my customers who get the Gold or Platinum Packages.

But, you're more than welcome to swing by my shop anyways, ha. :xyxthumbs:

Matt
02-26-2011, 07:04 PM
It doesn't actually require an alcohol pre wipe. Policoat can be applied over existing oils (say polishing oils and nearly dead sealants) because of the bonding agent, which preps the paint like a paint cleanser when you apply the sealant.

I believe this was covered in the introduction thread for the product, but I'm not 100% sure.

SeaJay's
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll prolly just buy some then, haha. I've heard nothing but good things about it...I know I'll like it. I can use it for my customers who get the Gold or Platinum Packages.

But, you're more than welcome to swing by my shop anyways, ha. :xyxthumbs:

I definitely want to come by at some point. Probably better to come before the busy season hits. So, maybe we can set up a time that I can swing by.

Let me know when your available and I'll see what my schedule looks like. Obviously on a day where your not busy! Which from the sounds of it is rare!

ScottB
02-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Poli-coat has a built in prepping agent so no wipe is really needed.

VW 91
02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
What about curing time? For someone with a shop like yours OP, when you apply the sealant I would assume that they leave the shop in about 1-3 hours depending on if you do interior or exterior last.

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I definitely want to come by at some point. Probably better to come before the busy season hits. So, maybe we can set up a time that I can swing by.

Let me know when your available and I'll see what my schedule looks like. Obviously on a day where your not busy! Which from the sounds of it is rare!

Yeah it's been tough to find time for anything lately, ha. I'm usually not busy in February...but this year I've been working long days by myself cause I don't hire people till spring. My shchedule isn't too crazy this week though. I'm busy till about wednesday, but the end of the week isn't bad at all right now.

It's honestly just better to text or call me up, and see how the day looks. My schedule is all over the place. I try to do two vehicles a day. So if I have one, someone may call me up and I'll end up with two. I'll PM you with my number. Give me a call when you're free, and see what my day is like.

That way we can hang for a bit, I can show you my little shop, ha...maybe grab a beer or something. :xyxthumbs:

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
What about curing time? For someone with a shop like yours OP, when you apply the sealant I would assume that they leave the shop in about 1-3 hours depending on if you do interior or exterior last.

I usually let the sealant sit for about 45 minutes to an hour. I tell all my customers to plan to leave their vehicle for the day. That way time isn't an issue.

I always try to make sure that I'm not being rushed. Quality is a HUGE must with me. I don't want anything missed, overlooked, skipped, etc. due to lack of time. If they want their car back in a rush...I just tell them that we are not that kind of detail shop. I've lost a couple customers over that. But were they good customers?....probably not.

Every time you lose a bad customer...you gain a good one. :xyxthumbs:

VW 91
02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
So you apply it and then wait 45 min to an hour to buff off, or is that the amount of time you allow it to "cure"?

Kristopher1129
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
So you apply it and then wait 45 min to an hour to buff off, or is that the amount of time you allow it to "cure"?

Yes, I wait 45 to an hour before removal. Once I take the sealant off, my job is done. I'm not gonna babysit their vehicle, ha.

I just tell my customers not to wash their vehicle, and keep it out of the rain for at least 12 hours if possible. Otherwise they may be sacrificing the strength of the sealant. I don't see why I would have to do more than that...