PDA

View Full Version : extra steps on your own vehicles?

Pages : [1] 2

embolism
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Do you do anything on your own vehicles that probably isn't cost effective or wouldn't add perceived visual value to a client's finish?

for example, we've all seen Iron X used with great effect on white cars as a step before clay bar. I'm assuming that all finishes would benefit from iron x, but is it worth it to do on a black car for instance, since claying alone probably has a greater effect on the overall visual appearance

it's snowing again and I'm bored...

ScottB
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I see alot of freshly detailed cars where barrels and tire wheelwells dont appear cleaned and detailed. I suspect we do it more than others consider.

embolism
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
so now you're noticing people's wheel wells? Man, you've got it bad :xyxthumbs:

James K
02-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I am sure it happens a lot. I mean, customers get what they pay for. My car gets loving. LOL. Does that mean I will not put everything I have in to a customers car? No. But with a customer I am on a time frame and budget. I do occasional throw in something extra though, just because I want to do so. With my car, it's no holds barred.

Keep in mind I only do 2 to 4 cars per month, and so not consider myself a professional. I do it more for the love of it then anything else.

PAR Detailing
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Do I do anything to my cars that I wouldnt to a customer... no. But they have to be willing to pay for it. Like I remove my rims 1-2 times per year to really clean them. I usually wont do this for a customer unless they pay for it. I put Gtechinq G1 on my windshield but a customer would have to pay for that too.

Like M.P. said I will occasionally throw in something extra for a person if I like them.

embolism
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
which reminds me, putting on glazes not for their filling capabilities but in support of the all consuming quest for that soaked look...

how does Black Light compare to PBBH?

Klink10
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
so now you're noticing people's wheel wells? Man, you've got it bad :xyxthumbs:

I guess I'm ate up with it as the first place I look is the wheelwells and barrels. Then I go to the chassis. Nothing looks worse to me than a "cleaned car" with a dirty chassis or new rims with funky wells.

James K
02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I guess I'm ate up with it as the first place I look is the wheelwells and barrels. Then I go to the chassis. Nothing looks worse to me than a "cleaned car" with a dirty chassis or new rims with funky wells.
I agree. It's kind of like wearing a tuxedo with dirty sneakers.

reality33
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I will do everything to my car that I perform on a client's. The only difference is if they want to pay for it or not.

My cars tend to be a test beds however, and get more attion then others. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkvet
02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I will clay, wax and polish paint under the hood. I am extremely thorough under the hood of my own vehicle. x2 on the wheel barrels. I will also take some pieces of my dash trim off and really clean the heck out of them.

Tim

SeaJay's
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
As everyone here said I don't do anything really extra to my own truck that I wouldn't to a customer's car. But it's all about what the customer will pay for.

I typically don't do wheel barrels, since most customers do not want me to pull their wheels off.

As reality33 said my truck is the test vehicle for any new product I get. I will not test anything new out on a customer's car unless it's a wax. But any cleaners or chemicals get the test on my truck first so I know how they react.

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
I have very few customers that are willing to pay for much more than a rushed detail job so they get the best that I can do in the time that they're money pays for. My rushed detail jobs are better than most local detailer's executive packages so the customer is always floored.

My regular return customers always get an extra hours worth of work from me for free. It's one of the things that sets me ahead of the rest of the local detailers.

My car (when I actually have time for it) gets a level that none of my customer's cars see. They simply wouldn't pay for that sort of labor of love.

Bates Detailing
02-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Do you do anything on your own vehicles that probably isn't cost effective or wouldn't add perceived visual value to a client's finish?

for example, we've all seen Iron X used with great effect on white cars as a step before clay bar. I'm assuming that all finishes would benefit from iron x, but is it worth it to do on a black car for instance, since claying alone probably has a greater effect on the overall visual appearance

it's snowing again and I'm bored...

All of my POVs are nasty lol! I do it all day long and could care less about detailing my personal vehicles lol! Im sure the guy that mows Yankee Stadium has a yard full of weeds and overgrown grass! Not getting paid.... not gonna detail (unless it's family of course).

Perfections
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Up till this point I do customers cars better then mine, except when I get a wild hair up my butt to go nuts on my personal cars. Everyone always says man your car looks great, and usually I say hmm I haven't washed it in a month! But then again the wifes car gets washed once a week lol go figure!

James K
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
All of my POVs are nasty lol! I do it all day long and could care less about detailing my personal vehicles lol! Im sure the guy that mows Yankee Stadium has a yard full of weeds and overgrown grass! Not getting paid.... not gonna detail (unless it's family of course).

That's kind of like the old saying when it comes to mechanics. Never go to a mechanic with a nice car. He has to much time on his hands.