PDA

View Full Version : UPGP, is there fussy prep involved?

tuscarora dave
02-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi AG members. I've been thinking of going WOWA with Ultima's UPGP. The reason I am considering this route is to save time on details. Currently I either use PB EX-P or DG # 111. I apply my sealants directly after wiping the finishing polish off of the paint with no durability issues. I hear talk of IPA wipedowns, pre-wax cleansing lotions etc. etc.

I figure if there is some fancy tedious process before using a WOWA product like UPGP then what is the sense in using it if time savings is the goal?
If I can apply UPGP right after wiping the panel clean of M-205 residue and still get the same durability that I get using DG # 111 or EX-P then I'd say it's worth the purchase price.

So my question to you WOWA guys/gals is, is the fuss of alcohol wipedowns or pre wax cleaners really necessary? How many of you detailers have used UPGP right after a finish polish and had a bad experience as a result of skipping all the "prep" steps.

Please realize that I am talking about using this as an LSP on a paint that has just had a multiple step correction.

What do you guys/gals think?

Lasthope05
02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
With UPGP I feel that there is no real need to use pre-wax cleaners or ipa wipedowns, not that it wont hurt to use them. UPGP contains a very high solvent content, which I feel, to have more than enough cleansing action to allow it to bond to the paint.

tuscarora dave
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
With UPGP I feel that there is no real need to use pre-wax cleaners or ipa wipedowns, not that it wont hurt to use them. UPGP contains a very high solvent content, which I feel, to have more than enough cleansing action to allow it to bond to the paint.
That's great news!! Thanks for the speedy reply. This car is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm about to put an order together now! :props:

PAR Detailing
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
TD I just got done using UPGP on a large SUV. I was thinking while I was working.... "I need to make a thread about UPGP. It is so easy to use and you arent leaving anything on the table in looks and slickness"

I absolutely love UPGP and application is a breeze. I think if you take the jump you wont be sorry.

Old Tiger
02-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I am not a pro, but UPGP doesnt need any special prep IME. As usual, Alan T. said it much better than I could. It yields a stunning hard candy finish

ScottB
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
nada ... straight over polishing works well. A quick wipe down might be suggested, but doesnt seem to really matter.

RTexasF
02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't even pretend to be a pro but I agree with killrwheels, nothing special required. What I have found is that a microfiber covered sponge works better than anything else to apply. More coats do equal more bling if time allows.....three being the point of no more return.

tuscarora dave
02-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all of you guys for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the UPGP and UTTG along with some other goodies.

Shane731
02-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the UPGP and UTTG along with some other goodies.

What all did ya get? :hungry:

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
What all did ya get? :hungry:
Also got Mothers Professional Rubbing Compound, Cyclo Pads, 2 green, 2 orange, 3 6.5" white LC flat and a sample of Liquid Souveran.