PDA

View Full Version : Upgp over nuba???

bill buxton
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I know in most or all cases a sealant can not go over a carnauba wax and bond. I hope this is not a stupid question but I do know opti seal will bore down through nuba and bond. I was wondering if the same applies to UPGP in the same instance.
Feed back please :dblthumb2:

Old Tiger
02-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldnt think it would yield an Optimum bond (pun intended). Try it. You wont invest a lot of time or product!

akimel
02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
From the UPGP FAQ:

Can Ultima Paint Guard Plus be applied over another manufacturer's wax product?
You bet! Although we recommend first using Ultima Paint Prep Plus, many people have used Ultima Paint Guard Plus over other (fully cured) wax products with very good results. In all cases, Ultima Paint Guard Plus will increase gloss and durability.

On the Optimum Forum, Dr G. explained that Opti-Seal, if applied on top of a carnauba, will actually displace the carnauba molecules:

If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant.

I believe that the same dynamic may be at work with UPGP--at least I thought I had read something about this over at Autopia, though I am unable now to find the posting, so my recollection may be faulty. If anyone can point me to the posting that confirms (or disconfirms) my recollection, I'd appreciate it.

akimel
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Update: Though the original Autopia posting by David Bynon on the question of applying UPGP on top of a carnauba wax no longer appears to be available, I found this quotation from it:

If you apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus over a car wax product, such as a Carnauba wax, you will remove the wax. We have tried this with several waxes with no negative results. However, we'd like to point out that doing this mixes wax in with the Ultima polymers. We suspect the Ultima polymers, being far more dense, settle to the bottom of the mix, but we have no way of knowing this for sure. Again, we do not recommend it.

Too bad we don't have anyone from the Autopia company who can address this for us.

Old Tiger
02-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Update: Though the original Autopia posting by David Bynon on the question of applying UPGP on top of a carnauba wax no longer appears to be available, I found this quotation from it:

Too bad we don't have anyone from the Autopia company who can address this for us.
I hear ya man and Im not thrilled about it!

john b
02-25-2011, 06:57 PM

it would be good to get some clarity on this, i would like to put down some max wax and then put a coat of the ultima paint gaurd on the same day but it appears it might be counter productive-great question

akimel
02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
it would be good to get some clarity on this, i would like to put down some max wax and then put a coat of the ultima paint gaurd on the same day but it appears it might be counter productive-great question

No disrespect intended, but why apply a carnauba wax and then top it with a coat of UPGP? Why not simply apply 2+ coats of UPGP? Or alternatively, why not apply a synthetic glaze like Poor Boys' Black Hole or White Diamond and then follow up with a coat or two of UPGP? I do not see an upside to first applying a wax like MaxWax and then topping it with UPGP.

john b
02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
No disrespect intended, but why apply a carnauba wax and then top it with a coat of UPGP? Why not simply apply 2+ coats of UPGP? Or alternatively, why not apply a synthetic glaze like Poor Boys' Black Hole or White Diamond and then follow up with a coat or two of UPGP? I do not see an upside to first applying a wax like MaxWax and then topping it with UPGP.

none taken,i thought i read somewhere you could with the wipe on walk away spray sealeants ,like optimum and ultima without diminishing a wax-looks like i am wrong,but i appreciate the feedback.this is one reason i enjoy this forum

jbgrant
03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
I know in most or all cases a sealant can not go over a carnauba wax and bond. I hope this is not a stupid question but I do know opti seal will bore down through nuba and bond. I was wondering if the same applies to UPGP in the same instance.
Feed back please :dblthumb2:

Read what the formulator of UPGP says about this here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/32572-q-session-best-way-s-apply-ultima-paint-guard-plus.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/32572-q-session-best-way-s-apply-ultima-paint-guard-plus.html)

From my experience, it can be a challenge to get UPGP to apply evenly over a nice coat of syn/nuba wax. I really like the idea because UPGP does not "fill" or cover any swirls, scratches, or halograms; however, I just don't think it's worth the trouble trying to effectively layer the sealant over cured wax.

If you want to use ultima and achieve a paint-enhancing (defect masking) finish, I suggest paint prep (clay/compound), seal with 2-3 coats UPGP (12+ hour cure!), non-solvent glaze (optional), pure wax (not a cleaner wax).