PDA

View Full Version : What is your approach to selling full correction?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kristopher1129
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm just curious about this topic. I do quite a bit of correction. But at the same time...I find it really tough to talk cutomers into dropping dough for a FULL correction. By full correction, I mean the entire vehicle, wet sanding (if necessary), and a 3 step process (maybe 4 depending on customer preference for wax over sealant). I do have a Platinum package I started offering this year that is intended for full correction jobs.

I do see quite a bit of people talking/showing jobs where they performed full correction. I'm assuming these aren't just friends vehicles or something like that, and they were paying customers.

So, my question is...for those of you out there who do full corrections more frequently, what is your selling point? What are your key phrases used to sell this type of service? How do you get someone to reach into their pocket...and pay you for 2 days worth of work instead of just a 1 step, or 2 step polish for a quarter of the price? Spill the beans!! lol

WindyCity
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Personally i feel that it is tough to sell a full correction. There are not too many people that are willing to spend that kinda cash on a daily driver. Unless the car is rare or some sort of high dollar car it is almost a waste of time. I generally look at their car, their concerns about why they are calling me to detail the car and I ask them how they use their car to determine if it is even worthwhile to try to sell an expensive service. I cant see too many customers paying me a lot of money to get their cars perfect only to run it through the tunnel wash next week.

Porsche Pilot
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I think alot of it plays into where you are marketing your full corrections and to what crowd. It is near impossible for me to sell a full correction on a daily driver and I understand why. Now, when I market myself at "higher end" car shows, etc, I have been very successful with that crowd. Perhaps it is because they have the spare coin or know what their expensive car deserves. When I compare my paint to their's they are sold pretty easily. But with the soccer mom van it aint happenin. So, my short answer is targeted marketing in my case. I know there are much more experienced guys and gals on here that will chime in with advice. I am subscribed to the thread!

RaskyR1
02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't really try to sell them on a full correction. I ask them what they are looking for, what their budget is, how the car is used, and how it's typically cared for. Then I suggest a package that best suits their needs.

SeaJay's
02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I think Porsche is on the right track with this one. I don't do a lot of correction work. But whenever your selling anything you have to ensure your selling it to the right crowd. Your average person isn't going to spend the money for a 3 step correction. Most of them probably don't even notice the swirls in their paint.

But if you hit up some car shows, club meets, even your local ride night. Typically, these are older gentlemen (not always) that take "pride in their ride" (see how i just wrote your tag line in there!) may be willing to spend the extra money to have a 3 step correction done.

This is on my list of things to hit up this year.

natewood70
02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Just do a test spot in the middle of the hood.... then they have to get the rest of the car done :D

rwright
02-25-2011, 01:39 PM
I think alot of it plays into where you are marketing your full corrections and to what crowd. It is near impossible for me to sell a full correction on a daily driver and I understand why. Now, when I market myself at "higher end" car shows, etc, I have been very successful with that crowd. Perhaps it is because they have the spare coin or know what their expensive car deserves. When I compare my paint to their's they are sold pretty easily. But with the soccer mom van it aint happenin. So, my short answer is targeted marketing in my case. I know there are much more experienced guys and gals on here that will chime in with advice. I am subscribed to the thread!

:iagree:with all of it. Targeted Marketing is spot on. A friend of mine gave me some good advice, soccer mom crowd wants clean and shiny - lots of money to be made with them. Yes you can sell expensive corrections and make a lot of money, but that can come with high stress. Daily drivers don't expect perfection, the expect clean and shiny. This is where volume detailing comes into play. Or as it has been coined "Match your services to your customer".

*I see that my answer was covered while typing :)

Kristopher1129
02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I completely get that too. I can usually read when someone is there for just a one step polish, and an interior on a DD. But my questions is not so much aimed at how do you convince a DD customer to get full correction. It's more about what selling points are used when you DO get one of those high end customers to come rolling up. I'm just curious as to what people typically say, do, or even show the customer when convincing them to go into full correction.

I've thought many times about going to a junk yard, and picking out a really bad black hood, then correcting half of it...and just keeping it around to convince someone of the difference that can be made. Just an idea. I think that would really help sell the service. :xyxthumbs:

Crosby87
02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I recently had my black X3 done by Mr. Todd Helme. He recommended the two-step (if I recall correctly) process over the full correction. I was more than willing to shell out the extra cash for the full correction, but with his advice and it being a daily driver, we both thought the two-step would be the wise choice.

Kristopher1129
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Just do a test spot in the middle of the hood.... then they have to get the rest of the car done :D

haha, sounds like a jerk thing to do...but I've actually done it. I didn't do a test spot in the middle of the hood. But, a lot of times I'll do the hood and show them the difference from the hood, and then the rest of the vechile. It's worked a couple times, ha. :xyxthumbs:

jimmyjam
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM

LMAO!! That's hilarious!!!!!!!

Mike Phillips
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Here's some related articles on this topic...

The Reverse Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22341-reverse-test-spot.html)

The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22275-cruel-test-spot-reverse-bait-switch.html)

:)

Kristopher1129
02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I think Porsche is on the right track with this one. I don't do a lot of correction work. But whenever your selling anything you have to ensure your selling it to the right crowd. Your average person isn't going to spend the money for a 3 step correction. Most of them probably don't even notice the swirls in their paint.

But if you hit up some car shows, club meets, even your local ride night. Typically, these are older gentlemen (not always) that take "pride in their ride" (see how i just wrote your tag line in there!) may be willing to spend the extra money to have a 3 step correction done.

This is on my list of things to hit up this year.

Very smooth, ha. Throwing my slogan in there! I like it. I also agree that target marketing is key with this type of situation. Good idea hitting up car shows. I've wanted to do that so many times. Problem is I'm always busy when these car shows are happening. There was a couple in August last year that I really wanted to hit up. Problem with that is August is CRAZY for me. I try to set aside the day to go...but I end up getting too backed up with work...and I just work instead, ha.

rwright
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
I've thought many times about going to a junk yard, and picking out a really bad black hood, then correcting half of it...and just keeping it around to convince someone of the difference that can be made. Just an idea. I think that would really help sell the service. :xyxthumbs:

Why not take that same black hood and divide it up into sections, show the before, what an all in one achieves, and what 1-step, 2-step, 3-step, etc. achieves? This will give customers an idea of what you mean by each step and what the outcome could be.

jimmyjam
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
:iagree:with all of it. Targeted Marketing is spot on. A friend of mine gave me some good advice, soccer mom crowd wants clean and shiny - lots of money to be made with them. Yes you can sell expensive corrections and make a lot of money, but that can come with high stress. Daily drivers don't expect perfection, the expect clean and shiny. This is where volume detailing comes into play. Or as it has been coined "Match your services to your customer".

*I see that my answer was covered while typing :)

:iagree: