PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra Removal

former86camaro
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
My father-in-law has driven down and the clear bra on his VW is done. It is black, flaky and it looks like it has come off and left residue in areas. How do I completely remove it in this state.

Like I said some areas look like a glue residue is left and the other looks like thin burnt plastic that may pull off with a finger nail.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SpoiledMan
02-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Heat gun and patience. I've done a few and my hands always hate me the next day. Work from the edges in. If it's too hot to touch then back off the heat some. A hairdryer will work but will require some rest to prevent overheating the dryer. Remaining residue usually comes off with a paint cleaner.

SRHTX
02-25-2011, 12:19 PM
My father-in-law has driven down and the clear bra on his VW is done. It is black, flaky and it looks like it has come off and left residue in areas. How do I completely remove it in this state.

Like I said some areas look like a glue residue is left and the other looks like thin burnt plastic that may pull off with a finger nail.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The biggest question is, what brand of cleat bra is it? Is it 3M or is it XPEL? If it's XPEL, it will be easy to remove the film off the paint. If it's 3M, that will be hard. I've had to remove 3M clear bra off a Black BMW 330I. Once I took the film off, it looked like glue was all over the paint. I used WD40 and some clay to remove all of the gunk. After I did that, I used Optimum Hyper Compound followed with Optimum Hyper Polish. Took care of the problem.

ScottZ
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
As stated before heat gun and patience. I've also had great luck with 3M general adhesive remover for the leftover 'gunk'.