PDA

View Full Version : So who read the huge thread on APC on leather cleaning...

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaximumMD
02-24-2011, 11:58 PM
For those that have read that thread about using APC on leather have learned a lot. I don't know about you but it sure did confuse the heck out of me. I now as some of you might be also have no clue what leather cleaning products to use anymore and the steps in cleaning and protecting leather. So I would love some others to chime in and share their opinion on which product and process would be best for cleaning leather.

Bates Detailing
02-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I've got a gallon of Opt Leather cleaner/conditioner - seems to work great with a terry cloth application and brush then buff with MF...... after I run out of that gallon - something else will be tried!:dblthumb2:

LegacyGT
02-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I will start using OPC as well.

Kristopher1129
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
I read some of that thread. After seeing how some of those leather experts got all scientific...I want none of that convo, haha.

I use Malco leather cleaner with a magic sponge. I lightly scrub, then wipe clean with a MF. If it's fairly clean leather...I just spray directly on to the MF and wipe. My only rule is to never spray the cleaner directly on to the leather to avoid an possible spotting. I then follow up with Malco Leather Conditioner. Always works for me.

Whether or not I'm doing something scientifically wrong to the leather...I have no idea. I don't get that deep with it. I get fantastic results with ease using this method. Sometimes I use my steam cleaner too. :dblthumb2:

Chris Thomas
02-25-2011, 01:10 AM
I love this layman's version! I said early on that OPC was a safe, effective, and extensively tested contender for leather, but then Mark wanted to hear from the "Dr" so I blame Mark ;p. Be careful what you ask for around here for sure.

Others can chime in about other products but what you should know about OPC is that it was tested for 4 years, doesn't contains sodas that damage leather like over APCs, can be diluted to suit the job, and the only reason we don't recommend it on suede is because we haven't tested it on suede since there are almost no automotive applications.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
I said early on that OPC was a safe, effective, and extensively tested contender for leather, but then Mark wanted to hear from the "Dr" so I blame Mark ;p. Be careful what you ask for around here for sure.

Gee Chris, thanks for making me feel guilty...lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Chris Thomas
02-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Gee Chris, thanks for making me feel guilty...lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Don't feel guilty...it's a GREAT thread! And you know I was kidding.:dblthumb2:

jimmyjam
02-25-2011, 03:56 AM
This might help a little, and just keep it simple.... I use these products with issue, as a matter of fact with great results!

Dp Interior Cleaner
WolfGang Leather Cleaner
Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner
Optimum Leather Protectant
WolfGang Leather Conditioner
Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Now if you want that new leather smell, IMO Pinnacle Conditioner has a more natural leather fragrance vs. WolfGang Leather Conditioner has a "chemical" leather smell... When my clients pick up their vehicles their WOWWED by the new leather scent that hits them as soon as they open the door. Hope that helped!

A4 1.8tqm
02-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Now if you want that new leather smell, IMO Pinnacle Conditioner has a more natural leather fragrance

:iagree: It's definitely my favorite leather scent. I even spray it on my leather gloves, rub it in like lotion and walk around sniffin em all day LOL.

mcpp66
02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
It seemed as though that thread was "downing" products labeled as conditioners because leather seats are coated and leather protectants are better products. Should I take this to assume that my bottle of Wolfgang Leather Conditioner won't do the job? It says that it has protectants in it? Or did I misinterpret?

MaximumMD
02-25-2011, 09:45 AM
It seemed as though that thread was "downing" products labeled as conditioners because leather seats are coated and leather protectants are better products. Should I take this to assume that my bottle of Wolfgang Leather Conditioner won't do the job? It says that it has protectants in it? Or did I misinterpret?

Thats what I kinda got out of it too. Like seats still have that protection on it and that a conditioner will just sit on top of the seat and not go into it. Did anyone else this? I believe it was if the seat is sticky to the touch after you put the conditioner on it, then you know it didn't go into the seat. So I guess is there a way to figure out if the protection is still on the seat or not? Kinda mention the water droplet test. Anyone want to help my poor mind as it can't figure all this out :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

rfinkle2
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Thats what I kinda got out of it too. Like seats still have that protection on it and that a conditioner will just sit on top of the seat and not go into it. Did anyone else this? I believe it was if the seat is sticky to the touch after you put the conditioner on it, then you know it didn't go into the seat. So I guess is there a way to figure out if the protection is still on the seat or not? Kinda mention the water droplet test. Anyone want to help my poor mind as it can't figure all this out :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

I'm sure that you already have read / know this, but I think as far as you clean the leather frequently, the protectant is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I've had good luck with keeping the leather clean with a proven leather cleaner, or as Chris (from Optimum) stated, a proven leather safe APC, and choose the dressing that you like the smell and look of best, in the hopes that it will help to protect the leather unitl the next cleaning.

If you want to test whether or not the conditioner is penetrating the leather, you could saturate a test spot, and check the foam underneath for evidence of penetration.

SRHTX
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I use to use several different things in the past. Right now, I will use diluted Woolite on the leather followed up with Optimum Protectant Plus. When I do it that way, I'm using the steamer.

If the leather is not that dirty, I will use the Optimum Power Clean, diluted of course, followed with the Optimum Protectant Plus.

indianaryan
02-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm confused about finished leather as well. In fact the "leather" that Mazda claims my seats are on my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 are pretty much vinyl as far as I can tell, and not really leather. I don't really know anything about the different types of leather, but I looked at the underside of the "leather" material and it has that cloth texture that you see on the underside of vinyl material. It doesn't have a leather smell to it either. In this case, is it better to use some sort of protectant that is made for interior plastics/vinyl?

For the record, the steering wheel and center armrests of the car actually smell like leather and have a different feel to them. I can't see the underside of the material to see what it looks like, but it does absorb my leather conditioner, where the "leather" seats do not.

Opinions anyone?

rfinkle2
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm confused about finished leather as well. In fact the "leather" that Mazda claims my seats are on my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 are pretty much vinyl as far as I can tell, and not really leather. I don't really know anything about the different types of leather, but I looked at the underside of the "leather" material and it has that cloth texture that you see on the underside of vinyl material. It doesn't have a leather smell to it either. In this case, is it better to use some sort of protectant that is made for interior plastics/vinyl?

For the record, the steering wheel and center armrests of the car actually smell like leather and have a different feel to them. I can't see the underside of the material to see what it looks like, but it does absorb my leather conditioner, where the "leather" seats do not.

Opinions anyone?

I have an ms3 also and I certainly hope it is leather.