PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first polisher, need some help!

rott3np3anut
02-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Hey everyone! I'm finally going to be buying my first polisher, but I have some questions. I'm going to get a Griot's DA polisher so I can try to correct my paint in the spring. I'm working with a $150 budget, excluding the polisher, which I'll be buying somewhere else. I can go a bit over $150, but I'm trying to spend at least that much to use my AG bucks. (I'll be getting some microfibers and other stuff too, so my whole budget isn't just for pads, polishes, etc.)

First of all, I need some help choosing pads. How many of each pad do I really need? For now, I'll be doing my car as well as my family's cars and friends' cars. I'm thinking either two of the six packs (12 pads) or one pack and then a few more on the side. I'm just really not sure which pads I'll need; some sound pretty similar based on the descriptions. I think I'll be getting the Lake Country CCS pads (unless you guys think I should do otherwise!), since they're only a dollar more than the flat pads for a 6 pack. Also, I will be applying waxes and/or sealants with the pads, so I know I want some of the red pads.

I'm also trying to pick the right polishes. I was looking at the Wolfgang twins because they're on BOGO and I've heard they're pretty easy for beginners to use. However, I also saw a review of the Optimum spray hyper polish. It looked really convenient in the spray bottle and has a long working time, which interested me. If it makes any difference, I have an '09 Honda Fit, which has some of the softest clear out there.

I also want an AIO to touch up my car every once in a while and to use on my friends' cars. I've heard a lot of good things about XMT360. The thing that concerns me with that though, is it says to work it until dry. Would this be hard for a beginner? I'm worried I'll keep buffing it too long and mess up the paint more. Klasse AIO also seems popular, but based on the description, it looks like it's just filler, and doesn't actually correct the paint. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

tuscarora dave
02-23-2011, 05:55 AM
I'd recommend flat pads over CCS. Poorboy's World SSR 2 in my opinion is the best polish for the Honda Fit's soft paint. It's all I use on them. SSR 2 can finish LSP ready on your soft paint and it works well with DA polishers and works great in direct sunlight. If you are going to be doing friends and family member's cars I would suggest 2, 6 packs of pads. I would break down each 6 pack into 3 orange or light cutting, 2 white or polish, and one red or finish pad. This way you'll have 6, 4 and 2. I'd use the white or polish pad on the Fit but you'll likely go through more cutting pads on the other cars and they are the ones that wear the fastest.

As for an AIO that doesn't fill and produces great shine and protection I'd go with Poorboy's World Polish with Sealant. As a beginner you'll love these 2 Poorboy's products. IME all the other SSR line are better suited for rotary use. With a DA polisher you don't get easier than SSR 2 and PWS.

BobbyG
02-23-2011, 07:40 AM
For your first polisher I'd recommend one of the dual action machines. These are great and will let you progress slowly and comfortably while you learn.

As for the machine I suggest the Porter Cable 7424XP. This is a great machine and now its even on sale!

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Take a good look at some of the kits offered here. The contain everything you'll need to get you started. The link below has just about everything you need including a couple of Microfiber towels.

XMT Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocainswr.html)

If you decide to go this route give Autogeek a call and swap the 6 1/2" CCS pads for the 5 1/2" flat pads. The larger pads are really a bit too big for the 7424 but the smaller pads are right at home on this polisher plus they're less expensive.

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

rott3np3anut
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks to both of you for the replies!

To Dave-

Okay, I'll go with the flat pads since both you and Bobby recommended those. Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with the CCS pads? They sound more... "high tech" from the description. Thanks for breaking down how many of each pad, that helps a lot since I wasn't really sure what to get.

I hadn't even thought about any PB's products, so thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into those a bit more and see if I can find any more about them on the forums.

To Bobby-

Thanks for your input as well! I had already decided before making the thread that I'm getting a Griot's polisher. I'm not getting a kit from AG because I'm getting the polisher from another company (this company isn't usually considered a competitor, but I won't say it out of respect), which will save me a lot more money than any of the kits. I don't mind putting the other stuff together myself and ordering things separately. I appreciate the time you took to get all the links though!

tuscarora dave
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks to both of you for the replies!

To Dave-

Okay, I'll go with the flat pads since both you and Bobby recommended those. Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with the CCS pads? They sound more... "high tech" from the description. Thanks for breaking down how many of each pad, that helps a lot since I wasn't really sure what to get.

I hadn't even thought about any PB's products, so thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into those a bit more and see if I can find any more about them on the forums.

I like the flat pads better because I feel that the flat pads both break down the polish and correct faster and finish out nicer, also I've had less problem with the backing coming off with the flat pads.

The Poorboy's Products will be very easy for you to work with on your Fit's soft paint and they are so easy to wipe off after working. You may not get too much info on the PB products here as it seems there isn't much of a Poorboy's crowd here.

When you start getting into harder paints you will want to have more of a heavy hitter like the Meg's twins or some other SMAT compound/polish like the spray compound/polish from Optimum.

dad07
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
If your going with 5.5 pads you will need a different backing plate,the GG comes with a 6" you'll need a 5". AG has several to choose from!

rott3np3anut
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
I like the flat pads better because I feel that the flat pads both break down the polish and correct faster and finish out nicer, also I've had less problem with the backing coming off with the flat pads.

The Poorboy's Products will be very easy for you to work with on your Fit's soft paint and they are so easy to wipe off after working. You may not get too much info on the PB products here as it seems there isn't much of a Poorboy's crowd here.

When you start getting into harder paints you will want to have more of a heavy hitter like the Meg's twins or some other SMAT compound/polish like the spray compound/polish from Optimum.

Thanks for explaining that. And you're right, there was almost nothing on the PB's stuff when I tried to search it. I'll probably end up getting that for my car and the Meg's twins like you suggested for others. Or maybe the Wolfgang twins since they're on BOGO, and I've heard the Meg's twins are hard for beginners.

If your going with 5.5 pads you will need a different backing plate,the GG comes with a 6" you'll need a 5". AG has several to choose from!

Thanks! I was going to ask about that too, but forgot to.