PDA

View Full Version : Buff Off Contest @ Detail Fest 2011???

Pages : [1] 2 3

David Fermani
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
How about a buff-off contest @ Detail Fest this year? Bring your choice of tools/liquids and show what you can do (rules/regulations apply). Is this something AG would like to sponsor? Could be fun and memorable not to mention a huge learning experience for all involved. Anyone in?

Mods/Admin = feel free to delete or move this thread if needed

SeaJay's
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd love to see it. I personally wouldn't participate but it'd be fun to watch some of the more skilled detailers go to work against each other!

rwright
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Sounds interesting. I vote for black or dark painted panels and voting should be conducted by a neutral audience or people in attendance, not a pre-fabricated panel of judges. Do you suggest a time limit or unlimited time? How about taking paint thickness measurements before and after and use that as part of the final decision, not just gloss level?

PAR Detailing
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I think that would be awesome! I doubt Ill be able to make it for DF but if I were there I would love to see some pros in action.

Harleyguy
02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Or there can be a timed session lets say one car and you get one door or an area that they measure out and see how fast you can get the swirls out . Best time wins

Meghan
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
David send us an email on how you would like it to go with details and we will see what we can do.

CEE DOG
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
The winner will have the priviledge of being able to touch Skybaby.... :laughing: But only for 3 seconds or less.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
How about a buff-off contest @ Detail Fest this year? Bring your choice of tools/liquids and show what you can do (rules/regulations apply). Is this something AG would like to sponsor? Could be fun and memorable not to mention a huge learning experience for all involved. Anyone in?

Mods/Admin = feel free to delete or move this thread if needed

I'd love a chance to kick your butt, David..... :poke::laughing:

If only I were going to be there :(

The winner will have the priviledge of being able to touch Skybaby.... But only for 3 seconds or less.

And only while wearing a pair of clean microfiber gloves, right? :p

SeaJay's
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
And only while wearing a pair of clean microfiber gloves, right? :p

I thought this was going to go some where else...I just saw only while wearing...and I just thought uh oh! lol

Mike Phillips
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
About 10 years ago I had this idea where approximately 12 identical black Corvettes were brought together and then equally scratched up using a bucket of sand and gravel mixed with a car wash solution, of something like that...

Then a group of Detailers would be give 24 hours to do their best to take the paint to it's maximum potential.

Afterwards, a group of judges would inspect the paint on each car in different light settings and do their best to pick the top 3 winners.

The above would likely be very difficult to pull off and getting the that many identical cars together that could be thrashed and then restored would also be an expensive challenge.

It takes quite a bit of time to do an entire car, let along a modern Corvette, and because I don't think show car detailing should be rushed, thus the 24 hour time frame.

An easier version would be black paint panels like Kevin Brown created using upside down cookie sheets when we held the NXT ti Classes a few years ago. The cookie sheets are small enough you can knock one out with as many steps as a person wanted to use rather quickly.

Here's some pictures of the upside down cookie sheets as posted by Joe Fernandez aka Superior Shine who will be here at DetailFest

TWO THUMBS UP !!--Meguiar’s NXT Tech Institute (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2802)

Then we were shown how to machine color sand with the Mirka system by Jesse Castio. His instruction was very thorough but very easy to understand. After a demonstration on how to properly use the equipment we were able to practice using it ourselves.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184NXT7-med.jpg

Here is Mike Phillips and Kevin Brown at the hand sanding station. You better sand correctly or Kevin Brown will make you do it over and over again. Practice makes perfect and if you do it the way these guys show you , you got it made!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184NXT8-med.jpg

Mike Pennington, the Director of Training for Meguiar's http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184NXT13-med.jpg

Car Hoods are too large...

Just typing outloud...

:)

mcpp66
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
About 10 years ago I had this idea where approximately 12 identical black Corvettes were brought together and then equally scratched up using a bucket of sand and gravel mixed with a car wash solution, of something like that...

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! :bat:

Mike Phillips
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! :bat:

I know it sounds horrible but a seasoned, experienced professional detailer could at a minimum remove everything that could be safely removed and take the paint to it's maximum potential...

Plus it would be a real test of their skills and abilities...

But that would be a challenge for another day and it would take a lot of coordinating and some serious sponsors...

Spicy McHaggis
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
This sounds like a really cool idea that I would definitely be interested in. I see only two problems though.

1. As Mike stated to do whole vehicles or even large panels would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time.

2. The judges would not be able to know who did what car/panel/cookie sheet. There are detailers on these sites that have such a following that they would get votes by just showing up.

Just my .02.

SATracker
02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
This year may be too quick, what about next year? I think it would be a fun thing to see.
1) Have the participants either ship ahead of time or bring their own polishers, pads, towels, & products.
2) The entrance fee could cover the costs of buckets, "sponges", and a couple of pad cleaning stations.

Mike Phillips
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
This sounds like a really cool idea that I would definitely be interested in. I see only two problems though.

1. As Mike stated to do whole vehicles or even large panels would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time.

2. The judges would not be able to know who did what car/panel/cookie sheet. There are detailers on these sites that have such a following that they would get votes by just showing up.

Just my .02.

Great points! :xyxthumbs:

This year may be too quick, what about next year? I think it would be a fun thing to see.

Another good point!

It could almost be it's own event held on Friday before DetailFest started.

Seriously, there's going to be so much going on this year, it's really going to be a blow-out event!

I've been sharing fliers at all the car shows and events I've been going to as well as just about everyone I meet in my travels and the feedback I'm getting at this point in time is overwhelmingly positive as far as attendance goes that it's going to be a very full and buys two days...

I think there's even more surprises to come that have yet to be announced...