PDA

View Full Version : Buff Off Contest @ Detail Fest 2011???

Pages : 1 [2] 3

sullysdetailing
02-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Im in is this going to happen?

JonMiles
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Count me in if you can pull it off. I'd love to go toe to toe with some of the best. Sounds fun, challenging, informative, and rewarding.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
I think there's even more surprises to come that have yet to be announced...

:)

This is killing me... I really wish I could make it!

David Fermani
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd love a chance to kick your butt, David..... :poke::laughing:

If only I were going to be there :(

No worries! I’ll be back home this summer and would be honored to give you a Floridian style Motor City buff down!!! :kiss:

I know it sounds horrible but a seasoned, experienced professional detailer could at a minimum remove everything that could be safely removed and take the paint to it's maximum potential...

Plus it would be a real test of their skills and abilities...

But that would be a challenge for another day and it would take a lot of coordinating and some serious sponsors...

Yes, this would be challenging to accomplish, but it’s not impossible. Seeing that PBI Airport is close by (as well as 2 ERAC on US1), there’s copious amounts of trashed rental cars that could desperately use a good reconditioning. I’m sure with the numerous rental car companies around you could easily request a dozen or so black (or dark colored) compact vehicles at an affordable weekend rate. You could also charge a small entry fee to the competition that would cover a portion of the rental charges.

After the list of entrants are compiled, allow each team/individual 24hrs (the Friday before DF) to completely detail (maybe the title of this thread should be changed to “Detail Challenge”?) the entire vehicle bumper to bumper, inside out. I’m sure the AG facility could handle the accommodations for water, electricity & tents so the detail can be done well into the night time hours in your parking lot if needed.

Each vehicle will be judged on several different factors including Interior, Exterior & Engine. Best Paint Correction, cleanest Interior/Engine and so forth. Any tool or product is allowed; even experimental.

Each vehicle being judged will be anonymous. Judges will not be allowed on premises during the detailing session and will be kept in isolation from the entrants at all times prior to inspection. Judges must have a strong background/understanding of the detail industry and not have any affiliation to people/products that could impose bias.

Disclaimer: entrants are to be completely aware that this competition is taking place in Florida (Sunshine State). “Swirls free” cars in Northern states can be jaded by less intense UV conditions. You have no idea what you are in for. Perfectly swirl free paint under Florida light is very difficult to accomplish and requires extreme skill. Enter at your own reputations risk!!! :D

rwright
02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Corrected paint should be able to survive an IPA wipe down. You know someone will use a glaze or a product with fillers. Maybe even rule out an LSP?

David Fermani
02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Best paint is best paint. Fillers and glazes should be allowed.

SATracker
02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I said next year because I can't make it to Detailfest this year! A stand alone event would be a cool thing. Mike/Max, my suggestion: Get through this year's Detailfest, talk to Mother's, Meguiar's, the other sponsors, even get a major car rental place on board. Sometime after Easter start brainstorming, get the word out; Dude- I think this could be huge.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Best paint is best paint. Fillers and glazes should be allowed.

So are you suggesting judging on best appearing paint or fastest detail? Because with fillers and glazes I think most people could finish off in one step as long as we're not talking about a finish with tons of RIDS to remove.

David Fermani
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
If you are allowed 24hrs to do your thing, speed isn't a factor. Especially with teams. Glazes aren't going to hide RIDs, just bump up the gloss/wetness a bit on certain applications. After total correction of course. Paint should be perfected to the highest level IMHO. How you get there shouldn't matter as long as you use the best of your abilites.

JonMiles
02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
How you get there shouldn't matter as long as you use the best of your abilites.

:iagree:

Someone with no experience at all can throw a glaze on a car and make it look decent. But an experienced professional who knows how to sand, compound, polish, glaze, and seal properly will put a rookie to shame any day of the week. If the buff-off is meant to showcase the best of the best; any method should be open for use.

My question...if we are looking for the best paint; what would be considered the best? Is perfectly level paint with no orange peel preferred over a perfectly scratch and swirl free paint job with the "original" orange peel still intact? I only ask because "original paint" is valued highly in the show car world; and many original paint jobs have orange peel.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
If you are allowed 24hrs to do your thing, speed isn't a factor. Especially with teams. Glazes aren't going to hide RIDs, just bump up the gloss/wetness a bit on certain applications. After total correction of course. Paint should be perfected to the highest level IMHO. How you get there shouldn't matter as long as you use the best of your abilites.

I agree... I just think there ought to be at least some level of control to keep people from "cheating" (though I know true professional results can't really be cheated) -- so I agree with the idea of an IPA wipe-down. The real skill is in defect removal, not in defect hiding/masking.

Shane731
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind being in on this, even though I'm no professional by any means. It would just be cool to do and say, "I helped do that." Plus, getting to hang out with some pretty cool guys and gals wouldn't be bad either. Great chance to learn. :dblthumb2:

David Fermani
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
My question...if we are looking for the best paint; what would be considered the best? Is perfectly level paint with no orange peel preferred over a perfectly scratch and swirl free paint job with the "original" orange peel still intact? I only ask because "original paint" is valued highly in the show car world; and many original paint jobs have orange peel.

This isn't a Survivor class, so I say make the paint as nice as possible. You most likely won't be able to make Factory paint perfectly level anyways. I personally would go for sanding, but not for total flatness, just to create some nice sharpness and level away all the defects.

I agree... I just think there ought to be at least some level of control to keep people from "cheating" (though I know true professional results can't really be cheated) -- so I agree with the idea of an IPA wipe-down. The real skill is in defect removal, not in defect hiding/masking.

I agree, but If you think about it, who cares if you do a IA wipedown? If you're hinding defects and making paint look great for show purposes more power to you. I'd hate to get the car with super soft paint that marrs when you wipe it down after all that work just to prove you didn't fill.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I agree, but If you think about it, who cares if you do a IA wipedown? If you're hinding defects and making paint look great for show purposes more power to you. I'd hate to get the car with super soft paint that marrs when you wipe it down after all that work just to prove you didn't fill.

Good points. :surrender:

Joe@Superior Shine
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
About 10 years ago I had this idea where approximately 12 identical black Corvettes were brought together and then equally scratched up using a bucket of sand and gravel mixed with a car wash solution, of something like that...

Then a group of Detailers would be give 24 hours to do their best to take the paint to it's maximum potential.

Afterwards, a group of judges would inspect the paint on each car in different light settings and do their best to pick the top 3 winners.

The above would likely be very difficult to pull off and getting the that many identical cars together that could be thrashed and then restored would also be an expensive challenge.

It takes quite a bit of time to do an entire car, let along a modern Corvette, and because I don't think show car detailing should be rushed, thus the 24 hour time frame.

An easier version would be black paint panels like Kevin Brown created using upside down cookie sheets when we held the NXT ti Classes a few years ago. The cookie sheets are small enough you can knock one out with as many steps as a person wanted to use rather quickly.

Here's some pictures of the upside down cookie sheets as posted by Joe Fernandez aka Superior Shine who will be here at DetailFest

TWO THUMBS UP !!--Meguiar’s NXT Tech Institute (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2802)

Car Hoods are too large...

Just typing outloud...

:)

WOW that has about 7 years now! Time flys when your having fun!!!