PDA

View Full Version : @HELP@ *Aluminum Wheels*

Mazda.Mark
02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
HEy guys I need some real help with these wheels. I have used APC, Wheel Cleaner, DP CLeanse All, Goo Gone, and not finding any success. I have one wheel which is very clean because it was replaced from a bent rim.

The interior of the wheel is killing me (see pics below). I spend a lot of time scrubbing and it just looks like it went thru a car wash! :bash:

What products/techniques have you all used for interiro of the wheel. The brushes I use dont seem to agitate the "debris" whatever it is. Take a look:

Prett gross right?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG-20110222-00036.jpg

More carnage...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG-20110222-00039.jpg

Sorry we got some ice this morning so that is what you may see here...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG-20110222-00038.jpg

Here is the wheel that is newer...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG-20110219-00031.jpg

And overall shot newer wheel...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Center-20110219-00024.jpg

So all 4 look similar from this distance, but up close you see the uglyness

So I would really appreciate thoughts on maing all 4 look like the last one:)

Feed back please

Harleyguy
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Try using some Quad Zero steel wool or Bronze Steel wool and some 105 .

DLB
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
If you want them really clean, take them off, and do it.

You can try what Adam said above, or several other things.
It seems like I read elsewhere you weren't wanting to take the wheels off. Well, you can only get them so clean from the front.

I would probably start with steel wool and a tar remover (Surf City Garage Road Trip). You are gonna have to scrub to get them clean, so just start experimenting.

Before I had many products, I have used just Meg's APC+ and steel wool for results before - just took more cleaning.

That's how I did these wheels, and they were worse than yours x 100.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/a2.JPG

DLB

Mazda.Mark
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
thanks guys I guess I need to jack it up and take them off...sounds like a long weekend coming up for me!

so steel wool seems like the tool of choice?

anything I can get quickly OTC to strip the tar/grime/dirt??

Carguy24
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Go to the boat supply store and find 'Mary-Kate On Off Pontoon Cleaner' .
Pour into a plastic wonton soup container and brush on with a soft 2" brush . Rinse after about 10 seconds .
This will clean the wheel down to the molecule in seconds ...
* And it will not hurt paint *

Another way to make quick work of this is to buy a can of 'Brake Cleaner' .
This is the purest form of dry cleaning fluid . You can take a spot off a silk tie or clean the backside of the wheels on your truck perfectly .
Brake Cleaner will make quick work of tar and grime . You can also use it on the body of the truck to spot clean . Also it works wonders on cloth seats ...

Third choice ' Castrol Super Clean' . This is a spray cleaner you get in the Auto store ...

***SPECIAL NOTE *** Do not use any type of steel wool . You will scratch the surface badly . And STAY AWAY from those green scotch brite pads . They will also ruin the wheels ... Use terry cloth , a brush or one of those plastic scrubber thingys you use to wash dishes ...

Bobby B.
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
That doesn't look like Brake Dust on the inside of the wheel? It looks like something actually ate at the wheel. Looks like little craters in the metal?

DLB
02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
thanks guys I guess I need to jack it up and take them off...sounds like a long weekend coming up for me!

so steel wool seems like the tool of choice?

anything I can get quickly OTC to strip the tar/grime/dirt??A good APC like the Castrol mentioned above or similar. Or, go to Home Depot and get some ZEP Citrus Degreaser. The stuff I mentioned before is available at Pep Boys if you have those.

***SPECIAL NOTE *** Do not use any type of steel wool . You will scratch the surface badly . And STAY AWAY from those green scotch brite pads . They will also ruin the wheels ... Use terry cloth , a brush or one of those plastic scrubber thingys you use to wash dishes ...The Scotch-Brite is more harsh, but I would bet that neither it and definitely the 0000 Steel Wool will hurt the inside finish. You will see the machine marks of the metal more than any scratches the Quad 0 would ever put on the bare metal. That's just what I have experienced on several dozen sets of wheels though, maybe you had a different experience.

That doesn't look like Brake Dust on the inside of the wheel? It looks like something actually ate at the wheel. Looks like little craters in the metal?
Bobby - I think that's the ice - I had to go back and re-read, cause that's what I thought at first.

DLB

Mazda.Mark
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM
A good APC like the Castrol mentioned above or similar. Or, go to Home Depot and get some ZEP Citrus Degreaser. The stuff I mentioned before is available at Pep Boys if you have those.

The Scotch-Brite is more harsh, but I would bet that neither it and definitely the 0000 Steel Wool will hurt the inside finish. You will see the machine marks of the metal more than any scratches the Quad 0 would ever put on the bare metal. That's just what I have experienced on several dozen sets of wheels though, maybe you had a different experience.

Bobby - I think that's the ice - I had to go back and re-read, cause that's what I thought at first.

DLB

Bobby - you do have something there. There are some spots that look like rock chips (clearcoat failure?) in the rim (in that picture) probably only fixable by re-coating.

I never heard of brake dust cleaner on wheels (or seats for that matter) I will try that. I do not know if I even have a boat supply store in town.

So 0000 steel wool for the tool of choice...carguy24 what do you use?

How long do you let the product sit on product before cleaning?

Can this be done w/o a pressure washer?

How do you smaller detailers take off the wheels? One at a time?

Thanks guys this thread is very helpful!!:props:

DLB
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Bobby - you do have something there. There are some spots that look like rock chips (clearcoat failure?) in the rim (in that picture) probably only fixable by re-coating.

I never heard of brake dust cleaner on wheels (or seats for that matter) I will try that. I do not know if I even have a boat supply store in town.

So 0000 steel wool for the tool of choice...carguy24 what do you use?

How long do you let the product sit on product before cleaning?

Can this be done w/o a pressure washer?

How do you smaller detailers take off the wheels? One at a time?

Thanks guys this thread is very helpful!!:props:Ah, OK, good eye Bobby - I just discounted it to be the ice. Not that that changes much of what I would do, but you are right, a recoat would be the only way to fix it.

What I would do Trumbo is spray the barrels with the APC and go to town "washing" them with the steel wool. A terry towel isn't going to get you anywhere fast at all.

Sure, the steel wool will "scratch" the clear that is on your wheels, but it will look better than what's there - and on top of that you could technically polish it out easy enough if you wanted to. You do want to be careful where there are places of clear missing not to further extend that area. (Don't scrub the edges where the clear is failing).

If you don't have a floor jack and stands, then sure, 1 at a time is fine. I usually go for 2 at a time, even though I could fully lift the car if I wanted (just 2 jacks and 4 stands).

It can be done without a pressure washer.

DLB

Carguy24
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
: 0000 Steel wool would be ok I suppose . I would remove the wheel . Spray it with Wesley's or Super clean . Wash it around with a brush made for car cleaning . Then I would dry the wheel flip it over and spray brake cleaner onto the steel wool . Rub the grime and it will come off right away . The brake cleaner melts dirt ...

Right before you bolt the wheel back on spray the backside with silicone spray and wipe it around to get rid of that dry ashen LQQK ...
A good tire dressing would also work . Make sure to wipe it really well because the silicone or dressing can also attract dirt .
The best tire dressing for my money is 'Mothers' . It dries non greasy to the touch ...

film .

Mazda.Mark
02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Awesome guys thank you much in 2 weeks I will have the entire weekend to myself so I am attacking it (one wheel at a time) then. Thanks I better find some 0000 steel wool....i checked wal mart they didnt have any just 0000...it came in a variety pack

Carguy24
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
: This would also be a great time to wash the inside of the wheel wells . Use the super clean and a soft brush . Rinse the soap off right away . Do this first before you wash the wheel so it is dry by the time the wheel is clean . Right before you bolt on the wheel spray the inside of the wheel well with a conditioner or dressing and wipe really well ...

LegacyGT
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Awesome guys thank you much in 2 weeks I will have the entire weekend to myself so I am attacking it (one wheel at a time) then. Thanks I better find some 0000 steel wool....i checked wal mart they didnt have any just 0000...it came in a variety pack

Go to a hardware store, and check in the paint section.

Mazda.Mark
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Okay cool...since I am an apartment dweller...lol...this is going down in the parking lot with my small jack to change a spare tire and tire iron...man am I going to get funny looks. :)

Mazda.Mark
02-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Do you think I should give ARO a shot??