PDA

View Full Version : Clay Applicator Pad

Pages : [1] 2

paradog
12-24-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/paintwork-clay-pad-applicator.html

Has anyone used one of these? Impressions? I am tempted to try it but concerned that its not that user friendly. Does the clay that is used make a difference?
Feed back please

Surfer
12-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Interesting, I'd be worried about the clay not having enough lube and hits a dry spot and causes marring/sticks to paint. Hell it can happen by hand, by machine would be worse.

supercharged
12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I never used it, never even thought of using it. But Surfer is right about marrings.

If you do buy it and use it, please post a review on that product.

ScottB
12-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I tried our Polishing Pal with clay attachment when it was first released. Two issues were immediately clear.

1. Tactile Feel --- you lose the ability for the clay to talk to you. Thus the studdering and shudders are not caught.

2. Grinding --- in certain areas it is as if you are using the clay to hard and grinding it as little pieces of clay attach to paint.

3Dog
12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
I have used alot on large flat surfaces..ie trucks and toppers.
The negative is the amount of clay you use. The positive is the foam pad will hold lubrication for a long time.

ltoman
12-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I tried our Polishing Pal with clay attachment when it was first released. Two issues were immediately clear.

1. Tactile Feel --- you lose the ability for the clay to talk to you. Thus the studdering and shudders are not caught.

2. Grinding --- in certain areas it is as if you are using the clay to hard and grinding it as little pieces of clay attach to paint.

why sell it then? that's not cool.:confused:

CalgaryDetail
12-24-2006, 12:30 PM

People still want it, and well AG is the business of making money :D . If its going to make them money.

As for the polishing pal, its easy enough to clay by hand, You can kneed the clay often, and really feel the paint as you go.
Although it may seem user freindly and fun to play with you loose that important connection with the paint. I know when i clay my finger tips hang over a little so i can get a feel when a section is done, just my way of makig sure i havent missed anything.

ltoman
12-24-2006, 03:12 PM
People still want it, and well AG is the business of making money :D . If its going to make them money.

As for the polishing pal, its easy enough to clay by hand, You can kneed the clay often, and really feel the paint as you go.
Although it may seem user freindly and fun to play with you loose that important connection with the paint. I know when i clay my finger tips hang over a little so i can get a feel when a section is done, just my way of makig sure i havent missed anything.

too true! lol....
to each his own, eh?
Mery Christmas!!!
LTIm the MAN

ryandamartini
12-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I WANT ONE.

I will just use DP 4 in 1 wash to lube if I have to. Machine claying in FLA would get me out of the heat alot faster....

Im very interested in this.

-Ryan

ltoman
12-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I WANT ONE.

I will just use DP 4 in 1 wash to lube if I have to. Machine claying in FLA would get me out of the heat alot faster....

Im very interested in this.

-Ryan
Ryan-
Doesn't what Kllr said about scratching worry you some tho? Worries me! lol /but what doesn't? hee hee

jmillican
12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I used one of these applicators, but I found that it allowed the clay to "worm out" and end up on the floor. There seemed no good way to make the clay stick in the recessed area and it resulted in using a lot more clay as I had to replace several pieces of clay that had fallen to the floor. I ended claying by hand and will continue to do so.

ryandamartini
12-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Ryan-
Doesn't what Kllr said about scratching worry you some tho? Worries me! lol /but what doesn't? hee hee

I wouldnt be worried about the PAD. He was talking about the polishin pal scratching. I dont see foam on top of lube scratching any finish.

ScottB
12-24-2006, 06:57 PM

well first I only get to give my input, not is a position to pick or discontinue a product. Second, it is only my opinion, others love it. Most still use them as a hand polisher with nice results. Mine ended up in the kitchen, and wife uses them on sink, shower, and other areas where hand scrubbing is needed.

Nica
12-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Here is a question, I have been claying for hours. I did the hood of the car and I spent at least 30min on the hood. Yet every time I go back and give it a quick pass with the clay bar it still grabs? Is it sopposed to do that? Does that mean that I haven't clayed properly?

Sorry to hi jack, but it is kinda related :D oh and I know what you guys mean about the feel of it. Fist time claying and I can defenetly feel the clay bar grab every time and every inperfection of the paint...I think I'm going to stick with claying by hand better feel I think.

ltoman
12-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Here is a question, I have been claying for hours. I did the hood of the car and I spent at least 30min on the hood. Yet every time I go back and give it a quick pass with the clay bar it still grabs? Is it sopposed to do that? Does that mean that I haven't clayed properly?

Sorry to hi jack, but it is kinda related :D oh and I know what you guys mean about the feel of it. Fist time claying and I can defenetly feel the clay bar grab every time and every inperfection of the paint...I think I'm going to stick with claying by hand better feel I think.

it isn't supposed to grab anymore once you've gotten it off...you aren't using it without lube, are you nica?

i just did our wagon, and once it was off, it was off. and it was bad. maybe scott or someone else will know....

good luck dude!!

:Picture: ???? Lauren