PDA

View Full Version : PCXP/Meguiars G110V2 / Griot's/ Owners Chime in

Pages : [1] 2 3

Harleyguy
02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
I believe these are the most popular machines being sold these days . And the question I put out there ,If you had a chance to continue using the machine you own now or had the chance to buy another brand machine what would it be ?

I also was wondering how well the machine you own has been holding up .

Hopefully this thread will help others looking into buy there first DA or adding another one to there collection .

Scott DeBrun
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I've got the PCXP and really like it. I don't have any complaints so I would not be looking for a different brand.

rwright
02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I have the Griot's and the PC XP. My PC XP is now the backup.

mchant
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's a big thread on them. Meguiars gets mentioned near the end of the thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20316-griots-garage-rop-vs-pc-7424xp.html

Spicy McHaggis
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
My first machine was an original PC, it is about 5 years old now and still going strong. I am tough on my machines and this thing just won't die. I even dropped it from about 6 feet once and it works just like new. Only thing I have done is put washers and bolts through the handle holes to keep the black plastic cover from making all sorts of noise.

I also picked up a Griots machine, well actually 2 since the first one broke and I wanted a new one before the warranty issue was taken care of. I like the power of the Griots, but I usually find myself reaching for my PC since when I need a DA to cut I use Surbuf pads and they don't require alot of power or pressure.

If I ever needed another DA machine I wouldn't hesitate in buying the new PCXP or Griots machines. However I would get 2 griots since they don't have the best durability record.

Harleyguy
02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Awesome guys keep up the posts some good information coming out .

Rhudeboye
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I currently have both GG and Flex. The Flex is new to me and it is DAMN impressive. I was able to correct like Mike Phillips on my first try :rolleyes: . I was doubting ever making money from corrections as i just couldn't achieve it with my GG. But with the flex.. My eyes popped out of head when i wiped away the megs residue. Swirls & scratches GONE!

Impressions
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
had the GG...returned it for PC and also bought Flex

Perfections
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Used the pc and gg, only using gg now, used atleast once a day, right now I'm doing a 22 foot boat, wet sanded some sections, compounding the rest then wax, so far the gg pulled everything out with no problems, I'll probably posting a small review later

BobbyG
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
My first machine was an original PC, it is about 5 years old now and still going strong. I am tough on my machines and this thing just won't die. I even dropped it from about 6 feet once and it works just like new. Only thing I have done is put washers and bolts through the handle holes to keep the black plastic cover from making all sorts of noise.

:iagree:

Dropped - Yes
Drowned - Yes
Revived - Yes

I also have the original Porter Cable 7424 and have even tried drowning it... No, it wasn't on purpose.

I brought it indoors a couple of years ago and my basement became flooded. We had 20" of rain in less than 2 weeks, it was a historical flood. My Porter Cable 7424 spent 2 days submerged and I thought it was a goner.

I blew all the remaining moisture out with an air hose and let it dry thoroughly indoors for a couple of weeks, plugged it in and it worked like a charm. I've been using it ever since and it's as if its underwater ordeal never happened...

I use it mostly for applying sealants and waxes however i do have a couple of small backing plates and 4" pads for those smaller areas.

My Flex 3401 is my primary dual action machine but the Porter Cable 7424 has never failed me....not once..:props:

Harleyguy
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
:iagree:

Dropped - Yes
Drowned - Yes
Revived - Yes

I also have the original Porter Cable 7424 and have even tried drowning it... No, it wasn't on purpose.

I brought it indoors a couple of years ago and my basement became flooded. We had 20" of rain in less than 2 weeks, it was a historical flood. My Porter Cable 7424 spent 2 days submerged and I thought it was a goner.

I blew all the remaining moisture out with an air hose and let it dry thoroughly indoors for a couple of weeks, plugged it in and it worked like a charm. I've been using it ever since and it's as if its underwater ordeal never happened...

I use it mostly for applying sealants and waxes however i do have a couple of small backing plates and 4" pads for those smaller areas.

My Flex 3401 is my primary dual action machine but the Porter Cable 7424 has never failed me....not once..:props:You should call Porter Cable and tell them about the flood story I'm sure they would be very interested in that .

LuxuryMobile
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I own a PC7424 (my back up now and smaller backing plate set up) and a PCXP. With practice, great results can be achieved with most of these machines. I have been more then happy with both of my PCs.

Audi X2
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you go with the Griots is that is does have a lifetime warranty.

mmikel445
02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you go with the Griots is that is does have a lifetime warranty.that warranty does not help you if have a job to do, while a new one is sent in the mail!

fredcandetail
02-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I've gone through 3 Megs G110V2 machines in a year and a half all with the faulty cord issue ... never again.
If this died in my hands today I'd be ok since I have almost perfected my jeweling technique for my finishing with the 9227