PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's 4-inch pads, why so hard??

PPLd
02-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

I have the Meguiar's 7-inch pads and I like them. The 7-inch finishing pads are very soft and machine washable. So I ordered their 4-inch pads. I just received them from Autogeek today morning.

To my surprise the 4-inch pads are hard. How hard? The black finishing pads are harder than the 3M blue polishing pad or Lake Country white polishing pad that I bought from Autogeek at the same order. The yellow polishing pads are hard like Orange cutting pad of Lake Country. The 4-inch Meguiar's pads feel like totally different type of foam than their 7-inch big brothers (while Autogeek said they are the same, which I tend to believe so)...

Have anyone here tried the 4-inch Meguiar's pads? How's the finish when you use them to wax/polish? They are so stiff that I am worried about they will leave behind swirls when used on my Nissan's soft paint...

C. Charles Hahn
02-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Interesting... mine don't feel "hard" like you're describing at all. The burgundy cutting pads are harder, more reminiscent of the original SoftBuff W7006 foam, but past that I don't consider them hard.

PPLd
02-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Interesting... mine don't feel "hard" like you're describing at all. The burgundy cutting pads are harder, more reminiscent of the original SoftBuff W7006 foam, but past that I don't consider them hard.
I guess I will give Meguiar's a call...
See if the foam I am getting are up to standard or not...

PPLd
02-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Sorry guys,
I found a post that answered my question on google...
Problem solved~

serenity
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
You mind posting the answer here so other members will get an answer if they have the same question?

BobbyG
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
You mind posting the answer here so other members will get an answer if they have the same question?

:iagree: Inquiring minds want to know!

Matt
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
:iagree: Inquiring minds want to know!

x3

Would be good to get the answer on record

PPLd
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Dear all,

It appears to me that the red Lake Country pads and blue 3M pads are softer than the black Meguiar's pads, and black Meg pads FEEL LIKE polishing pad of LC and 3M especially when you get closer to the edge. Lake Country has a bevealed edge, while Meguiar's has a sharp and hard edge...

When I google for a comparison between Lake Country, 3M, and Meguiar's DA pads, a comparison chart by Properautocare shows up.
The chart can be found here:
UPDATED: Lake County vs. Meguiar's Comparison Chart - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2354)

It should be noted that the chart is about the cutting/finishing ability of the pads, not the stiffness/softness. However, as I am mainly using the black Meg pad to apply wax or sealants, I guess I will go for the softer Lake Country red pads.

I also found on google that the Cyclo white finishing pads (by Buff and Shine) are very soft. I will be ordering a few from Autogeek to try them out. I will post a comparison between the softness of Lake Country, 3M, Meguiar's, and Cyclo later when the cyclo pads arrive. Maybe I put a mass of 100g on each pad and see how they respond to pressure?
:D