PDA

View Full Version : Need new tires - recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2

Shane731
02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Going in for an oil change in a couple of weeks, and I need new tires. Right now, I have Hankook H714 tires on my car, and while they aren't bad, I'm not getting the treadwear out of them that I should be. My mechanic recommended that I get Kumho Solace KR-21 tires. What do you think? Are these good tires, or should I go with something else? The Kumho tires are $77.19 apiece, for a total of $408.44 mounted and balanced, plus $99.95 for a 4-tire alignment. So that's roughly where I stand price-wise, although I would be willing to spend up to $100 per tire if necessary, if they provided a better ride and gave me the appropriate treadwear. If you want to know my tire size, tell me how I would find out, because I am mechanically an idiot. Thanks for the feedback!

LegacyGT
02-20-2011, 02:52 PM
This is probably not going help you too much, but perhaps it will help someone else: I run (in the summer) the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and I have been amazed at these tires. They grip and handle much better than the Pirelli P2 Nero Zero's that I replaced.

You wont get much in the way of tread wear out of them though, maybe 20-30k.

jrose0070
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I Woul Recommend Either Bridgestone Insignia SE200, or Firestone Prescision Tourings Or if You can splurge Get the Michelin Harmony's Or Hydroedge's They are Definately Worth the money The Kuhmo's are Decent but there are Definately Better Tires Out There For the money

C. Charles Hahn
02-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Well, from what I see you're going to need either 185/75R14 or 195/70R14 tires on a '95 Ciera. There are more options available in the 70R14 size.

Tire Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do?v=013932|1995&r=TNNINT&ar=70&rd=14&cs=195)

It doesn't look like you've got a Discount Tire within a 50 mile radius of Powell, TN, but you should be able to get any of the tires they list on their site. Also for reference is Tire Rack:

Search for Tires by Size (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=195%2F&ratio=70&diameter=14&x=17&y=9)

Now, having said that, back in the mid-90s we had a 1990 Ciera SL with the same size wheels/tires as your '95 has. We always had Michelin or Good Year tires on it and had good luck with them. Since then, I've had a couple sets of Kumho tires on other vehicles and was rather underwhelmed by them.

Just something to consider.

Audi X2
02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I would recommend visiting The Tire Racks website.
Input your tire size and read the reviews of tires you are interested in and you will learn a lot.

I have never personally had great experiences with Kumho tires.

dougaross
02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I would recommend visiting The Tire Racks website.
Input your tire size and read the reviews of tires you are interested in and you will learn a lot.

I have never personally had great experiences with Kumho tires.
:iagree::iagree: Great place to research tires.

builthatch
02-20-2011, 03:20 PM
tire rack testing, survey and reviews are a decent way to get info about tires, no doubt.

discount tire direct ships for free and often runs internal rebate programs when buying 4 tires.

the per tire cost is higher but after shipping they beat tire rack every time i've shopped and have customer service that is just as awesome as TR.

good luck OP.

ScottB
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I have often found alot of value in the Nitto and Toyo lines. Love Michellin's for anything but wear value and cost, both fail to compare.

pfix
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
The Tire Rack. Input your make and model and it will direct you to the correct size tires for your vehicle, you might have to choose a size if more than one size was offered from the factory. Lots of user reviews for the tires as well as Tire Rack tests of many of the different tires.

If you tell me the year and model of your vehicle I will post a link to the Tire Rack page that pertains to the top rated tires for your vehicle.

Zivman
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I have the exact khumos they recommend. actually they are called Solus...

They are on my mazda protege. I really like them. They are a good in the snow.... which I don't know if is a positive for you in TN.

I would definitely buy them again.

Edit:

I had the dunlops on my Fit that legacy recommended. They handled decent, but were 20-30/tire more and they won't last as long.

batb
02-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree with the comments suggesting the tire rack web site. Even if you don't purchase them from there they have usefull reviews and opinions. I purchased some Michellin's last year for one of my vehicles and like them a lot. When I get new tires for my car I am going to get Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These are getting good snow reviews. I don't see many options listed for your vehicle though.

KLC
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I just bought a set of Michelin Latitudes. Love them!

pfix
02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Consumer Survey Results By Category (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST&width=185%2F&ratio=75&diameter=14&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Oldsmobile&autoYear=1995&autoModel=Cutlass+Ciera&autoModClar=)

Shane, here is link that shows the top ranked tires for your vehicle on Tire Rack

gotdetailing
02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, tire rack is the first place I go when looking for tires.

zliegen
03-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Dunlop D1 Direzza Star Spec's are fantastic tires for your money (IMO the best bang for your buck) if you're looking for a high performance summer only tire.

If they're going on the car in your avatar though I'd get something more like an all-season touring tire for more comfort and tread-life and year-round use. Summer tires are absolute nightmares in the cold or snow.

Those Kumho Solus KR21 look like a great deal.