PDA

View Full Version : Rotary pads?

Pages : [1] 2

sparkie
12-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Who has these? Do you like them? Would you buy them again? I still don't know what to order! Please help.
:D I'm getting a rotary for Christmas.
:( I don't know what to buy!
Guys, yal pick one for me! Help a brother out!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1926_10935967
http://www.autogeek.net/edge-rotary-kit.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1925_38927553
http://www.autogeek.net/edge-8-inch-wave.html

justin_murphy
12-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I'l ordering the Waved ones. I'm using the 6"s I have now with my new rotary and love them. Aaron keeps telling that they are the one's to get and I will!

sparkie
12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'l ordering the Waved ones. I'm using the 6"s I have now with my new rotary and love them. Aaron keeps telling that they are the one's to get and I will!
So you can use the 6"s with an rotary.
Thanks man!

sparkie
12-23-2006, 05:08 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1925_42267597
http://www.autogeek.net/edge-waffle-pads.html

Is this it?

justin_murphy
12-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Yep. You sure can. The 6s are actually safer because they spin slower than the 8s at the same setting. Physics. Aaron explained it all to me!!!

LOL!

You all have heard of Paul from the UK......the 8k detailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcRqQEs8AQ
Look at about half way through the video. You'll see him using a 6 inch pad with his Makita Rotary.

Whitethunder46
12-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm confused, how does a 6" spin slower? I thought an 8" would?

Is this also true for DA's even though it's a different type of buffer?

pt91
12-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm confused, how does a 6" spin slower? I thought an 8" would?

Is this also true for DA's even though it's a different type of buffer?

the outer edge (extra 2 inches) spins faster, creating more heat.

qadsan
12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
I've got a couple sets of Edge 2000 pads in both the 6" & 8", all of which are flat. The only convoluted pads I have are from 3M, which I've been using for many years. For my rotary work on most automobiles, I prefer the 6" pads over the 8" pads. For many autos, I find the the 6" pads fit better into more places and contour better on many surfaces. I mainly use the 8" pads on larger vehicles with larger flat surfaces (trucks, trailers, rv's, etc), but find myself reaching for the 6" pads more often than not when working on most cars.

The speed at the outer edge of the pad will always be greater than the speeds inside when the pad is spinning. Simply put, the outside edge travels a farther distance in the same amount of time as the inside, which means its moving at a faster speed. Make sense?

justin_murphy
12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I've got a couple sets of Edge 2000 pads in both the 6" & 8", all of which are flat. The only convoluted pads I have are from 3M, which I've been using for many years. For my rotary work on most automobiles, I prefer the 6" pads over the 8" pads. For many autos, I find the the 6" pads fit better into more places and contour better on many surfaces. I mainly use the 8" pads on larger vehicles with larger flat surfaces (trucks, trailers, rv's, etc), but find myself reaching for the 6" pads more often than not when working on most cars.

The speed at the outer edge of the pad will always be greater than the speeds inside when the pad is spinning. Simply put, the outside edge travels a farther distance in the same amount of time as the inside, which means its moving at a faster speed. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense. If you placed a mark on the outter edge of a 8" pad and then one at a 6" point, they would be back at the same spot at the same time. The outter HAD to move faster to get back around at the same time.

Remember a DA is oscialating. A smaller pad on a DA will move faster giving more cut.

qadsan
12-23-2006, 06:51 PM
True, a smaller pad on a DA will definitely move faster, but that only accounts for some of the additional cut. Most of the additional cut is because there's more pressure per square inch being applied with a smaller 4" pad as opposed to a larger 6" pad. In fact, a 6" pad has more than twice the area of a 4" pad!

(A = p r ^2), which means the Area is equal to 3.14 times the Radius Squared. A 4" pad will have an area of about 12.57 in^2 where as a 6" pad will have an area of about 28.27 in^2. An 8" pad has a whopping area of 201.06 in^2, or about 7 times that of a 6" pad and nearly 16 times that of a 4" pad!

Justin, I'm sure you already knew this, but I wanted to post this info for the benefit of others who may not have looked at the pad size from this perspective.

justin_murphy
12-23-2006, 06:59 PM
True, a smaller pad on a DA will definitely move faster, but that only accounts for some of the additional cut. Most of the additional cut is because there's more pressure per square inch being applied with a smaller 4" pad as opposed to a larger 6" pad. In fact, a 6" pad has more than twice the area of a 4" pad!

(A = p r ^2), which means the Area is equal to 3.14 times the Radius Squared. A 4" pad will have an area of about 12.57 in^2 where as a 6" pad will have an area of about 28.27 in^2. An 8" pad has a whopping area of 201.06 in^2, or about 7 times that of a 6" pad and nearly 16 times that of a 4" pad!

Justin, I'm sure you already knew this, but I wanted to post this info for the benefit of others who may not have looked at the pad size from this perspective.

Man, I'm glad we have you here!
You seem like a real pro and you like to help. A winner in my book. I forgot about the pressure being greater with a smaller pad. Pressure is a must with the PC. I still need to get some 4s for my PC.

Any pics of your work bro?

tonyspop
12-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Yep. You sure can. The 6s are actually safer because they spin slower than the 8s at the same setting. Physics. Aaron explained it all to me!!!

LOL!

You all have heard of Paul from the UK......the 8k detailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcRqQEs8AQ
Look at about half way through the video. You'll see him using a 6 inch pad with his Makita Rotary.Justin,did you notice he only used the one bucket method??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!On a 500,000 pound car no less.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( Ahhhh,only an Englishman,lololololololol.

justin_murphy
12-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Justin,did you notice he only used the one bucket method??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!On a 500,000 pound car no less.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( Ahhhh,only an Englishman,lololololololol.

LOL! I know. I've seen alot give him slack for that. I will defend him though. That car has probably never been on the road so there's not alot of stuff on it to hurt it. Plus, he does spend alot of time perfecting the paint. Any washing swirls that are induced (if any) will be easily removed. He does do amazing work. Which includes his marketing skills!

I really do like how he takes his time on the wheels. This is how I've actually been doing my wheels now for my upcoming DP Wheel Gel review.

Sevenrd
12-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I use the 8" flat edge pads on the rotary. I like them very much. For tighter spots I'll still use the PC, maybe throw a 4" pad on there if I need more bite. But I'll likely get some 6" edge pads down the road.

qadsan
12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Man, I'm glad we have you here!
You seem like a real pro and you like to help.

Pro! :eek: :o

I'm just another guy that's no better or worse than many others here. I don't think there's anything special about my work compared to many others here or on other forums. I used to be enthused about taking pics, but most of the pics I've taken were before there were digital cameras. The only thing I do now (if anything) is quickly scan a customers vehicle with a video camera (before & after) for liability issues. I only detail part of the year and taking pics just isn't my thing anymore. I used to do this type of work back in the 70's & 80's in addition to auto/body/paint as a hobby and professionally at times, but chose a different career path which I've since retired from. For the last couple years, I kind of got back into it again. But even at that, I've only done about ~60+ vehicles per year over the last couple years (cars, trucks, trailers, rv's, an occassional boat, etc) and that's done during the summer time, which is when one of my other businesses slows down.

It's been good money & experience for my boys who are earning money for college, but I'm only doing this right now for their finaicial benefit + experience and my own satisfaction. I still do some paint, body & fabrication work, but mostly on older classics and it's just for the fun of it. It's the same reason I like polishing paint. As crazy as it sounds to some people, I just like doing it and probably always will to some extent.

I like reading all the reviews, hearing about different products and enjoy watching people as they progress to the point where their work is pretty much as good as it can get. And from what I've seen, your work is about as good as any and among the best :cheers: