PDA

View Full Version : Are there any detailers that.......

Grizzly
02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Do not use famous compounds such as M105, Optimum, etc.

I am pretty much asking if there is anyone out there not really doing that many corrections but get a lot of interior/engine jobs plus basic exterior jobs that warrant the use of an AIO.

A lot of places in the country do not have a market for the "correction" work.

Anyone out there?

aerogt01
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
It completely depends on the market.

95% of my details are simply interior/AIO. The last time I used M105 was a year ago.

StephenK
02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
to be honest with you only correction work i have done in last year has been on my own vehicles as well as family members and that was just to try out a new polish/compound. i have only been detailing in spare time because i usually run with a full time job as well. so the small wash and wax jobs worked fine for me, but now that i am laid off and the weather is getting nicer out i am gonna be pushing paint correction alot more.

SeaJay's
02-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm in the same boat as aerogt. About 95% of my jobs are your exterior wash/AIO, and interiors. I don't even really get a lot of engine bay cleanings. I do plan on marketing myself more this year for paint corrections, but I know that I'll have a lot of returning customers just for your basic clean up.

Bates Detailing
02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I've got 3 corrections lined up for next week - more than normal for me..... usual get one steps and basic int/ext as well..... I am the opposite of SeaJay on this one - I don't plan on marketing corrections lol. I had a guy with a minicooper ask me how much for a 2 stage polish on his ride - I said $125 (small surface/little product used/maybe 6 to 7 hours) ridiculous deal right? He said he could get it done for $65!!!! I told him that 65 is an amazing deal and that he should grab it lol! Even though what he will be getting is some turtle wax on his ride.... he seemed so arrogant about it that I didn't explain the difference lol. Anyhow, I don't want the issues of pickiness when I can make so much more money on other detailing projects in a day. But I won't turn a correction down though.

Grizzly
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I've got 3 corrections lined up for next week - more than normal for me..... usual get one steps and basic int/ext as well..... I am the opposite of SeaJay on this one - I don't plan on marketing corrections lol. I had a guy with a minicooper ask me how much for a 2 stage polish on his ride - I said $125 (small surface/little product used/maybe 6 to 7 hours) ridiculous deal right? He said he could get it done for $65!!!! I told him that 65 is an amazing deal and that he should grab it lol! Even though what he will be getting is some turtle wax on his ride.... he seemed so arrogant about it that I didn't explain the difference lol. Anyhow, I don't want the issues of pickiness when I can make so much more money on other detailing projects in a day. But I won't turn a correction down though.

Something must be wrong with that guy's brain as I know you would have given him wayyyyy more for the additonal $50.

I like how you told him to "grab it" LOL.

I think its safe to say that your $125 offer is really worth maybe $200 or so.

But I know how the economy is and you can sure bet I would have done it for $125 as well.

Now that I think of it the MINI is a smallie.

Bates Detailing
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Something must be wrong with that guy's brain as I know you would have given him wayyyyy more for the additonal $50.

I like how you told him to "grab it" LOL.

I think its safe to say that your $125 offer is really worth maybe $200 or so.

But I know how the economy is and you can sure bet I would have done it for $125 as well.

Now that I think of it the MINI is a smallie.

Yeah - I looked at it closely and realized if I put some high quality time into each panel that it still wouldn't take long at all... they are tiny!

MirandaAutoSpa
02-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Do not use famous compounds such as M105, Optimum, etc.

I am pretty much asking if there is anyone out there not really doing that many corrections but get a lot of interior/engine jobs plus basic exterior jobs that warrant the use of an AIO.

A lot of places in the country do not have a market for the "correction" work.

Anyone out there?
:iagree:
We don't offer any correction work here in Richmond, VA. There is just no market for it here. Interior/Exterior only and Full Details are our specialty. We use Meg. D151 and a Cleaner Wax.
Once we find good clients they stick with us and refer us to friends, family and co-workers. If I had a garage set up I would put more time and effort into marketing correction work, I love to see swirl free gloss!!!! Plus I need the right pads, compounds and polishes which cost way to much for me to just mess around with, without making money. Maybe just samples will do for now. :dblthumb2:

D_Nyholm
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I too basically only use an AIO like D151 with a full detail. I've done a few full corrections with Menz, but they are usually pretty far apart.

Josh@BR
02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I get a lot of people that request scratch/scuff removals without a complete correction and as long as they buff out with compound(Menz PG) I charge anywhere from $5-$15 per scratch/scuff with no complaints. Once I go over the scratches individually I then go over the whole car with XMT360.

Black Car
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
charging a certain amount per scratch...that is a great idea.

tuscarora dave
02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
There's a guy over at DC with the user name "$1storedetailer" I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't use famous brands.

I do both but probably more corrections than AIO stuff.

Joe@Superior Shine
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I have been blessed with more of what I like than what I like least. I love to shine paint. I enjoy interior too but not nearly as much.

Kristopher1129
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
At first I thought you were asking if there are detailers that use compounds other than the AG popular compounds. Cause I use more compounds not from AG, than from AG. I use a lot of compounds from Malco.

But, it seems as though you were asking if there's people out there who don't do so many corrections. I don't do a lot of corrections. Well, I do...but sometimes it's just cause I choose to. It's hard to sell corrections to people. Especially if they don't understand what that even means. I can usually talk someone into paying to correct a particular panel...but a full correction is tough.

To most eyes...a one step polish is more than enough. I definitely do more in and out packages, with a one step polish than anything else. I do sell a lot of paint sealant add ons as well.

I always found it strange that people do more interiors than in and outs. I do a lot of interiors...but WAY more of my packages. :xyxthumbs: