PDA

View Full Version : Need help guys...

Pages : [1] 2

NewXJ
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
friend of mine had a 5 gallon jug of bbq sauce bust in his car on his carpet. what is the best way to get this out of the carpet and the smell? list products needed and steps please...what a mess!

JonMiles
02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Wow thats not fun to deal with. Its going to take a good amount of work to clean up and I hope for his sake that the carpets are dark colored. As far as a plan of attack to clean up its going to be a 6 step process.

1) vacuum up all the sauce
2) liberally spray a good cleaner on the carpet, foaming would be beneficial to lift the sauce (Megs APC, Ultima Interior Shampoo, Meguiars Quik Out, Tuff Stuff Carpet Cleaner)
3) Scrub the hell out of the carpet to break up the mess as much as possible.
4) Vacuum the foam up
5) There will be some staining left behind, use a spot cleaner (Folex) to cover the area and once again scrub with a carpet brush, then use a terry towel to lift the stains.
6) Deodorize with an ozone generator or dakota odor bomb.

Or, you could use an extractor. It will be way easier, but not everyone has access to one.

C. Charles Hahn
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a job for Odo-Ban....

Kristopher1129
02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh boy, that's quite a task. First of all...what tools do you have access too? Do you have an extractor? Or possibly the foaming Tornador? (I know this one is probably a stretch, but it would help). Knowing what tools you have would make it easier for us to help. :xyxthumbs:

NewXJ
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh boy, that's quite a task. First of all...what tools do you have access too? Do you have an extractor? Or possibly the foaming Tornador? (I know this one is probably a stretch, but it would help). Knowing what tools you have would make it easier for us to help. :xyxthumbs:
no tools...

Kristopher1129
02-18-2011, 10:49 PM
no tools...

Hmm. Alright, what color is the carpet? How much actually spilled, and did it sit for a while?

NewXJ
02-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Hmm. Alright, what color is the carpet? How much actually spilled, and did it sit for a while?

tan/beige a lot spilled was pretty thick sat for awhile cuz he got upset when he couldnt get it up and went inside his house for awhile

Kristopher1129
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
tan/beige a lot spilled was pretty thick sat for awhile cuz he got upset when he couldnt get it up and went inside his house for awhile

Hopefully it's not frozen. Cause without a hot water extractor you would be at a stand still until spring. Unless you can get it inside a warm garage for a while.

What exactly has been done so far?

NewXJ
02-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Hopefully it's not frozen. Cause without a hot water extractor you would be at a stand still until spring. Unless you can get it inside a warm garage for a while.

What exactly has been done so far?

blotted it up with a towel...all wet sauce gone just left with stain and smell

Mike Phillips
02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Maybe consider taking it to an established detailer, Mobil or fixed location, and let them tackle it?

For a perfect repair you might have to have the carpet replaced.

Food for thought...

:)

Kristopher1129
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Maybe consider taking it to an established detailer, Mobil or fixed location, and let them tackle it?

For a perfect repair you might have to have the carpet replaced.

Food for thought...

:)

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Mike on that one. Only because you don't have the tools needed to REALLY clean it out as best as possible. I would just take it somewhere and have them get it really good with a heated extractor. Just make sure they actually have one! A lot of places will say they have certain equipment, and then just clean it some other way. Heated extractor would be key to clean that up real good. Steam cleaner wouldn't hurt either. Find your local detailer, and let him have a go at it. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Food for thought...

Ribs, perhaps? :hungry:

I'm sorry, I laughed out loud when I read the first post...5 gals of bbq sauce in a car, sounds like something out of a movie...Biff maybe...sorry, just struck me funny!

dougaross
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Saturate with pulled pork

rwright
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
5) There will be some staining left behind, use a spot cleaner (Folex) to cover the area and once again scrub with a carpet brush, then use a terry towel to lift the stains.

Jon, sorry to pick this apart but technically you're not supposed to scrub carpet with Folex. According to their directions scrubbing with a brush damages carpet fibers, you should blot with a towel (as you stated) and if needed scratch the area with your finger.

The only time I have scrubbed while using Folex, the carpet was already destroyed. Every other time I have followed the directions with outstanding results.

Before:
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b98-e998-5090.jpg

After:
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b98-e9ef-dcd5.jpg

If you look close in the second picture, the lower left corner shows the damaged fibers after scrubbing with a brush. Like I said, the carpet was destroyed but the owner gave the go ahead. This is not to pick on you, I promise, it's only to show that it pays to follow the manufacturer's directions when using a product. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Midnight1700
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
I'd say go with Mike's idea. OR! You can have your friend go online to "autogeekonline.net" and order you an extractor, all the chemicals, rags, and odorizers to get the job done. Then, give them all to you as payment for getting the mess all cleaned up for them... Just a thought :dblthumb2: