PDA

View Full Version : After the Sealant

Omegadog12
02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello All,
A Newbie question. Does a sealant need to be removed (presumably by polishing) at any time? I've heard remove all wax and sealant after one year and re-do the sealant and/or wax. Appreciate any comments from "The Pros"

Flash Gordon
02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Hello All,
A Newbie question. Does a sealant need to be removed (presumably by polishing) at any time? I've heard remove all wax and sealant after one year and re-do the sealant and/or wax. Appreciate any comments from "The Pros"

Only if you are trying to do further corrections. Otherwise, it will remove itself over time

SATracker
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Depending on how the car is driven, parked, etc- I'm not sure any sealant or wax will last a year.

sparkie
02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Only if you are trying to do further corrections. Otherwise, it will remove itself over time
:iagree:

Omegadog12
02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Appreciate the comments/help. Will the sealant still come off even if I wax every 60 days - planning to use Blackfire carnuba? Again, I apreciate all the help/comments.

Ted S.
02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Appreciate the comments/help. Will the sealant still come off even if I wax every 60 days - planning to use Blackfire carnuba? Again, I apreciate all the help/comments.

I've heard that a regular application of carnuba can make sealant last longer. Maybe someone with experience can confirm this?:dig:

willtothewong
02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I've heard that a regular application of carnuba can make sealant last longer. Maybe someone with experience can confirm this?:dig:

i've heard this too. it would make sense being the wax would be on top of the sealant so it would take the beating from the elements.

Matt
02-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Well if there was still some wax left every time you re-waxed, then in theory I guess the sealant could last forever as the elements never get a chance to weaken it.

Otherwise, I think there will be some elements out of your control such as bird droppings, etc, that will wear straight through the wax and sealant at once.

sohail99
02-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Just to be sure, do a IPA wipedown of the surface before you begin polishing!

Omegadog12
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks to all. I'm still a Nube and I don't know all the lingo yet. Pllease tell me what 'IPA' stands for. Also is there any place on the forum to translate all the 'pro detailer-speak'?

Flash Gordon
02-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks to all. I'm still a Nube and I don't know all the lingo yet. Pllease tell me what 'IPA' stands for. Also is there any place on the forum to translate all the 'pro detailer-speak'?

IPA stands foir Isoprol Alcohol. The stuff you buy at the drug store. Alot of ppl spray this onto there panels and wipe clean before proceeding to the next step to ensure all previous oils have been removed. I myself don't practice this method as I feel your still leaving the dust behind. I do a 10 minute APC wash between each step, but thats just me

www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21333-what-all-these-abbreviations.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21333-what-all-these-abbreviations.html)

Here is a thread on abbreviations. There was another one made recentally, but I am failing to find it. Its kinda hard to learn what your suppose to do if you can't comprehend the lingo. If there is ever a doubt, just ask

sohail99
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
IPA is Iso Propyl Alcohol!

Use it 50/50 with distilled water in a spray bottle!

Check this out for all acronyms - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/863-acronyms.html

BobbyG
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Does a sealant need to be removed (presumably by polishing) at any time? I've heard remove all wax and sealant after one year and re-do the sealant and/or wax.

You won't need to worry about that because waxes and sealants don't last that long.

Any product applied to a finish will naturally degrade and evaporate over time. Products only last so long and as they age they become thinner and thinner until their protection goes from 100% to 0% which means it's gone.

Wash your finish with Dawn dish washing liquid and this will remove most of what's left. An Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down will take care of the rest.