PDA

View Full Version : BMW Clear coats = HARD. Any special techniques involved?

prostar
02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi again,

I'm getting ready to spend some quality time with my 99 BMW. I'm fairly new to correction procedures and haven't had experience on many cars (actually just one - a 99 Land Rover). I had no idea if the clear coat was soft, medium, or hard..I just went to Megs 105/205 and it came out NIIICCEEE!

So for MY BMW, I want to make sure it comes out even better than the Land Rover. Does anyone have experiences with BMW hard clear coats? My arsenal isn't very deep, but I'm willing to spend some spare cash to do it right.

Any favorable compounds, polishes, wax/sealant?

Any actual techniques? slower arm speed? etc?

This is going to be AWESOME! Thanks everyone!

Flash Gordon
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
You might try doing a search on this subject. I'm pretty sure its been covered before, and nothing has changed

IMO..BMW's in general have soft clear, but thats not always the case. I would start out with a DA, orange pad, and 105. If that fails to give you the results you desire, try a Surbuf pad. If your still not satisfied, next step is ratory/wool

GL

Flash

David Fermani
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Do 99 BMW's have hard clears? If so, I'd use an agressive pad with M105 and do multiple slow passes. Remember, the harder the paint, the less finishing you may need to do. If you're using a DA, look into the Kevin Brown Method (KBM).